Your thoughts on this quote?

I came across this quote some time ago and was just wondering what everyone's first reaction would be to it. I'll tell you who said it later.

Decisive [in history] is the power that the peoples have within them...From history one sees that the right by itself is completely useless, if a mighty power does not stand behind it. Right alone is of no use to whomever does not have the power to impose his right.​

My first thought is that I wonder what context the author is speaking in. Quotes out of context have that effect on me. The argument could be used to justify almost anything. Without context (minus the author's name) the quote is meaningless.

I came across this quote some time ago and was just wondering what everyone's first reaction would be to it. I'll tell you who said it later.

Decisive [in history] is the power that the peoples have within them...From history one sees that the right by itself is completely useless, if a mighty power does not stand behind it. Right alone is of no use to whomever does not have the power to impose his right.​

My first reaction is to disagree with it. Right is Right, it is a bearing as much as a means, as much as an end. It is a part of the formula, that may indeed fuel the device or mechanism for carrying out it's goal. Principle, fuels the means to carry out the objective. That brings one to Purpose and plan, timing, effect, competence are also part of the equation. ;) :lol:

I believe whom ever said that was frustrated at the time. I personally believe that many Great Concepts have started out like the little engine that could.

Who is less important than what is the context?

Liberty can't survive unless people are willing to defend it. No right exists without the obligation to protect it from those who would encroach on it.

So the speaker could be anyone from Hitler to Ghandi, and it would still be the truth.
:clap2:

and the quote is more about a philosophical viewpoint than a fact.

The strong has always triumphed… All of nature is a constant struggle between power and weakness, a constant triumph of the strong over the weak.

Wrong again.

David and Goliath.

This is like the idiocy spouted about the survival of the fittest.

It is the survival of those most able to adapt, not the strongest or the fittest that is highlighted by scientific observation. :eusa_whistle:

The strong has always triumphed… All of nature is a constant struggle between power and weakness, a constant triumph of the strong over the weak.

Wrong again.

David and Goliath.

This is like the idiocy spouted about the survival of the fittest.

It is the survival of those most able to adapt, not the strongest or the fittest that is highlighted by scientific observation. :eusa_whistle:

What did you think was meant by 'fittest'?

huh? I've no record of a neg. Go to your cp and check again.

I'll probably get in dutch with Gunny & Echo for posting the contents of a PM, but remember... you asked for it.

New reputation!
Hi, you have received -80 reputation points from JBeukema.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
I hate puns e.e

Regards,
JBeukema

PS - thanks for the follow up positive rep, which puts me 81 points ahead!

* Kiss! *​

My first reaction is to disagree with it. Right is Right, it is a bearing as much as a means, as much as an end. It is a part of the formula, that may indeed fuel the device or mechanism for carrying out it's goal. Principle, fuels the means to carry out the objective. That brings one to Purpose and plan, timing, effect, competence are also part of the equation. ;) :lol:

I believe whom ever said that was frustrated at the time. I personally believe that many Great Concepts have started out like the little engine that could.

How can a supposedly thinking man agree or disagree with the quote without a context? We have 3 statements:

1) Decisive [in history] is the power that the peoples have within them...

2) From history one sees that the right by itself is completely useless, if a mighty power does not stand behind it.

3) Right alone is of no use to whomever does not have the power to impose his right.

take any one statement, and by itself tell me how you know what is being discussed

81? My rep power is 161. Go look at your CP again. Your CP, not your inbox.

161 minus 80 = 81

I believe neg rep is equal to half the rep power of the repper, but I'm not one to actually read the rules, most of which are written for folks who lack common sense.

( :eusa_shhh: Don't tell Gunny! )​

If there were a neg rep on record, how could I have pos-repped you right now? :eusa_eh:

Go to your CP and look under 'Latest Reputation Received' :eusa_shhh:

Now apologize for your slander.

huh? I've no record of a neg. Go to your cp and check again.

It appears you speak the truth... sort of.

I do NOT have a neg rep notice in my 'Latest Reputation Received' column, thus preserving my rarely negged reputation around here.

On the other hand, I have a screen shot closely guarded in a password-protected folder that clearly states JB hates puns....... :eusa_think:

The only answer can be that neg rep was given and then retracted at the exact moment that I opened up the PM!

What are the odds?!?

We should both drop everything and RUN to the store for lotto tickets!

the speaker could be anyone from Hitler to Ghandi, and it would still be the truth.

Interesting you should say that, because on of them wrote it.

The who is less important than the what.

If 0bama or Rdean or Ravi came to Portland today and said "It is raining." It would not change the fact that it is raining. Truth lies outside the authority, and even the devil can cite scripture.

Forum List

Back