Your thoughts on this quote?

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
I came across this quote some time ago and was just wondering what everyone's first reaction would be to it. I'll tell you who said it later.

Decisive [in history] is the power that the peoples have within them...From history one sees that the right by itself is completely useless, if a mighty power does not stand behind it. Right alone is of no use to whomever does not have the power to impose his right.​

Interesting. Sounds like the person is saying that individual liberty can't exist without a powerfull government behind it.

Who is less important than what is the context?

Liberty can't survive unless people are willing to defend it. No right exists without the obligation to protect it from those who would encroach on it.

So the speaker could be anyone from Hitler to Ghandi, and it would still be the truth.

I came across this quote some time ago and was just wondering what everyone's first reaction would be to it. I'll tell you who said it later.

Decisive [in history] is the power that the peoples have within them...From history one sees that the right by itself is completely useless, if a mighty power does not stand behind it. Right alone is of no use to whomever does not have the power to impose his right.​

The strong has always triumphed… All of nature is a constant struggle between power and weakness, a constant triumph of the strong over the weak.

Who is less important than what is the context?

Liberty can't survive unless people are willing to defend it. No right exists without the obligation to protect it from those who would encroach on it.

So the speaker could be anyone from Hitler to Ghandi, and it would still be the truth.

The speaker certainly falls within that spectrum, and preserving liberty isn't quite what he was talking about.

Quoting your hero again? I think the man who said was one of the worst examples of human life ever to exist. You quoting Adolph Hitler shouldn't surprise me given your support of his policies.

Interesting. Sounds like the person is saying that individual liberty can't exist without a powerfull government behind it.

Or, perhaps, that liberty cannot exist i the people don't have the power to impose their rights and force the government to recognize and respect them?

Ernst Haeckel ?

No, and no to the Communist question.

People who argue that might implies right would do well to remember who articulated this belief.

Who here said might made right? is it not true that 'rights' mean nothing without the means of forcing others to recognize and respect them? The slave could speak of his rights as a man, but so long as he is in chains and has no power to make the slave-driver recognize his rights, the rights are meaningless. Likewise all our rights when they are violated, be it by the State or by our neighbor, if we do not retain some means by which we can impose our rights.

The strong has always triumphed… All of nature is a constant struggle between power and weakness, a constant triumph of the strong over the weak.

Ever read a history book? unfortunately the text you quoted is also too often the reality.

Quoting your hero again? I think the man who said was one of the worst examples of human life ever to exist. You quoting Adolph Hitler shouldn't surprise me given your support of his policies.

:eusa_eh:

Clearly, you're retarded.

:eusa_eh:

Clearly, you're retarded.

I am retarded? You are the one quoting Hitler.

Or they could also be saying that liberty can't exist without some type of God image behind it, granting rights that supercede the will of men.:)
Personally, I'd rather have God-given or Natural rights, as men are not trustworthy to govern equitably.

I :eusa_think: I'll continue to be a "lefty", at least for now.

Forum List

Back