Your Tax Dollars Builds a 5-Star Hotel in Tbilisi

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
In September, the United States pledged $1 billion in aid to Georgia to help the country recover from its August war with Russia. The money was intended to “help Georgia sustain itself,” Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said. With several Georgian towns badly damaged by Russian bombing and 20,000 refugees from South Ossetia still unable to return home, there were seemingly many worthy causes for all that cash. So why was $176 million of the aid money earmarked for loans to businesses—including $30 million to a real estate developer for a luxury hotel: the 127,000-square-meter Park Hyatt in downtown Tbilisi, an area that was not at all damaged in the war? The 183-room, five-star hotel will include 70 luxury condominiums, a fine-dining restaurant, conference facilities, and a health spa with juice bar.

Division of Labour: More Market Idolatry from the Bush Administration

georgia_map.jpg

Hmm, I wonder how many buildings, hospitals and highways are named after that tub o' lard Ted Kennedy? I wonder how many buildings, hospitals and highways are named after the only former KKK member in Congress, Robert Byrd (D)?

Hmm, I wonder?

When Condi Rice visited Georgia after the invasion, there was no toilet paper in her room! And at a very inopportune moment, the water supply died. Someone had to bring her a bucket of water and a glove. At that point she immediately agreed to a new Five-Star hotel in Tiblisi using the billion dollars that we gave them!

Forum List

Back