Your take on 'multiculturalism'?

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
Personally, I fiercely oppose it. If I move to Germany, I do so to become a German. It falls on me to learn the language, laws, and predominant ethical standards of my new land. I am to become a part of it, enrich it as I can, and and adopt the nation have moved to as my own. That's the entire point of seeking to become a citizen. Should I choose not to become a citizen, then it still falls to me to learn the language, ethics, laws, and social norms of my new host country and to live within it and as a part of its fabric. if I wash to be 'else', then I have no business moving there.

I expect the same of anyone who moves here or anyone else.

Multiculturalism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

I agree. There was a time when that was what happened.

When in Rome.

Personally, I fiercely oppose it. If I move to Germany, I do so to become a German. It falls on me to learn the language, laws, and predominant ethical standards of my new land. I am to become a part of it, enrich it as I can, and and adopt the nation have moved to as my own. That's the entire point of seeking to become a citizen. Should I choose not to become a citizen, then it still falls to me to learn the language, ethics, laws, and social norms of my new host country and to live within it and as a part of its fabric. if I wash to be 'else', then I have no business moving there.

I expect the same of anyone who moves here or anyone else.

It doesn't work that way. Germans speak about 4 different languages to assimulate into their surrounding society. They do however have stricker immigration laws that some might consider racist.

When we bought into Bush Srs. One World Order, all bets were off. Now days you see road & restroom & ballots written in International codes and languages.

lgfp0489+another-take-on-american-road-signs-know-your-road-signs-poster.jpg

Last edited:
  • Banned
Anyone who lives in Germany and doesn't speak Germany has no right to complain or demand special treatment. Same for anyone who doesn't learn American Standard in the US, French in France, or Mandarin in China.

There cannot be a singular People without a singular tongue to enable them to communicate effectively. Without a singular People, there cannot be a singular society or State.

Just look at how close Canada came to splitting in two in 1995 or the failure of the EU to function as a cohesive whole rather than what it is- a hodgepodge of nations and peoples artificially places under a singular umbrella as though conquered by some general.

Or look at the American Southwest.

Multiculturalism is a very great thing for this resit of Liberty that we call the United States and are a sum of all our parts. Each brings their culture and expertise into the fold for the betterment of the sum.

To raise one above another denies the others and is quite unjust in the great experiment that this Republic still is despite government attempts to tear it usunder.

As to language? We have one. English. It is proper as you stated to assimilate and become part of it and use that language when dealing with the public.

It is incumbent upon those coming here to become as and to do as the citizens. To do less causes resentment, division as we already see.

And to the OP? I agree. I've been to other places on the globe and even though I was there temporarily? I tried to meld in, learn about my host country. It's the proper thing to do.

well, what your talking about isnt really multiculturalism though..
multiculturalism is just the acceptance of multiple ethnic cultures.. & that seems pretty american

i do think that everyone living in the us should speak english, but america does not have an official language so it make sense why you see thing in multiple languages.

• Banned
well, what your talking about isnt really multiculturalism though..
multiculturalism is just the acceptance of multiple ethnic cultures..

No, it's not.

Multiculturalism is a body of thought in political philosophy about the proper way to respond to cultural and religious diversity. Mere toleration of group differences is said to fall short of treating members of minority groups as equal citizens; recognition and positive accommodation of group differences are required through “group-differentiated rights,” a term coined by Will Kymlicka (1995). Some group-differentiated rights are held by individual members of minority groups, as in the case of individuals who are granted exemptions from generally applicable laws in virtue of their religious beliefs or individuals who seek language accommodations in schools or in voting. Other group-differentiated rights are held by the group qua group rather by its members severally; such rights are properly called group rights, as in the case of indigenous groups and minority nations, who claim the right of self-determination. In the latter respect, multiculturalism is closely allied with nationalism...

Examples of cultural accommodations or “group-differentiated rights” include exemptions from generally applicable law (e.g. religious exemptions), assistance to do things that the majority can do unassisted (e.g. multilingual ballots, funding for minority language schools and ethnic associations, affirmative action), representation of minorities in government bodies (e.g. ethnic quotas for party lists or legislative seats, minority-majority Congressional districts), recognition of traditional legal codes by the dominant legal system (e.g. granting jurisdiction over family law to religious courts), or limited self-government rights (e.g. qualified recognition of tribal sovereignty and federal arrangements recognizing the political autonomy of Quebec) (for a helpful classification of cultural rights, see Levy 1997).

Typically, a group-differentiated right is a right of a minority group (or a member of such a group) to act or not act in a certain way in accordance with their religious obligations and/or cultural commitments.

It's race politics and different rules for everyone.

Exactly!

When European settlers first came to North America, they should've all learned to speak Cherokee and learned to live exactly like Native Americans. Fuck'n wankers!

I love it. I really enjoy going to some Polish/Irish/Italian/African/Puerto Rican festival, and loving their culture and food. It's a shame that most immigrants go white bread after two generations.

Some races of people are not able to live up to the standards of other races of people

Forum List

Back