Your morals

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
Morality Quiz/Test your Morals, Values & Ethics - Your Morals.Org
Welcome to YourMorals.org, where you can learn about your own morality while contributing to scientific research on moral psychology.
Many aspects of personality are related to morality. Many aspects of behavior are influenced by moral motives. And many conflicts and misunderstandings are driven by differences in morality. But rather than simply telling you these things, we want you to see for yourself. After each questionnaire or experiment you complete, we'll give you an immediate report on how you scored, and what your score means.

Well, that might have been fun had one not been required to register prior to beginning. Hmph.

For the record, I have good morals.

In the graph below, your scores on each foundation are shown in green (the 1st bar in each set of 3 bars). The scores of all liberals who have taken it on our site are shown in blue (the 2nd bar), and the scores of all conservatives are shown in red (3rd bar). Scores run from 0 (the lowest possible score, you completely reject that foundation) to 5 (the highest possible score, you very strongly endorse that foundation and build much of your morality on top of it).

surveyresults_graph_libcon.php

The scale is a measure of your reliance on and endorsement of five psychological foundations of morality that seem to be found across cultures. Each of the two parts of the scale contained four questions related to each foundation: 1) harm/care, 2) fairness/reciprocity (including issues of rights), 3) ingroup/loyalty, 4) authority/respect, and 5) purity/sanctity.

The idea behind the scale is that human morality is the result of biological and cultural evolutionary processes that made human beings very sensitive to many different (and often competing) issues. Some of these issues are about treating other individuals well (the first two foundations - harm and fairness). Other issues are about how to be a good member of a group or supporter of social order and tradition (the last three foundations). Haidt and Graham have found that political liberals generally place a higher value on the first two foundations; they are very concerned about issues of harm and fairness (including issues of inequality and exploitation). Political conservatives care about harm and fairness too, but they generally score slightly lower on those scale items. The big difference between liberals and conservatives seems to be that conservatives score slightly higher on the ingroup/loyalty foundation, and much higher on the authority/respect and purity/sanctity foundations.

This difference seems to explain many of the most contentious issues in the culture war. For example, liberals support legalizing gay marriage (to be fair and compassionate), whereas many conservatives are reluctant to change the nature of marriage and the family, basic building blocks of society. Conservatives are more likely to favor practices that increase order and respect (e.g., spanking, mandatory pledge of allegiance), whereas liberals often oppose these practices as being violent or coercive.

Last edited:
use IE, agna

IE sucks. Here's my War/Peace score:

The graph below shows your scores on these scales. The scores range from 1 to 9 and higher scores indicate stronger endorsements. Your score is shown in green (1st bar) . The score of the average Liberal survey respondent is shown in blue (2nd bar) and that of the average Conservative respondent is in red (3rd bar).

surveyresults_graph_libcon.php

The scales you completed were the Attitudes Toward War and Peace scales developed by Van Der Linden, Bizumic, Stubager, and Melon (2008). As the name suggests, the scale is a measure of an individual's separate attitudes toward the concept of war and the concept of peace.

The reason why we are interested in this is that research has shown that attitudes toward war and peace, while related, represent two separate factors, meaning that just because one sees the merits of war does not mean that one is not pro-peace. This is a relatively new construct and we hope to help untangle the ideas of war and peace from each other, possibly connecting them to theorized ideas about the relationships to ideas about inequality, empathic tendencies, and threat sensitivity.

Actually, I didn't, and I can't even tell you when it was fixed.. I noticed it maybe a week ago.

Care to try again?

That would rely on the assumption that you were being truthful. Given that you insinuated that the sea of PM's that you sent me were fabricated, I'm obviously gonna take it with about five pounds of salt. ;)

Actually, I didn't, and I can't even tell you when it was fixed.. I noticed it maybe a week ago.

Care to try again?

That would rely on the assumption that you were being truthful. Given that you insinuated that the sea of PM's that you sent me were fabricated, I'm obviously gonna take it with about five pounds of salt. ;)

*shrug* Gunny is the only person (other than the owner and tech guy that can alter such a thing, and I'm not even 100% sure GUNNY can do it. It depends on the permission level given to Admins from the owner.

You know how to reach him, however if you really care enough to have it clarified for you. If you don't, then shut up about it. :)

*shrug* Gunny is the only person (other than the owner and tech guy that can alter such a thing, and I'm not even 100% sure GUNNY can do it. It depends on the permission level given to Admins from the owner.

"Permission level"? Anyone in the admins usergroup merely has to click on "Edit User Profile" while viewing it to be taken to the section of the Admin CP that permits them to do so once they log in. Since it was possible to merge your accounts to begin with, it certainly would have been possible to change your join date.

You know how to reach him, however if you really care enough to have it clarified for you. If you don't, then shut up about it. :)

I'll speak of what I want and ignore your yapping while I'm at it. :)

Forum List

Back