Your Middle School Years

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Annie was just saying on another thread she chaperoned a middle school dance last night.

Goldcatt and I were talking about our middle school years, and our worst memories of those times.

What are yours?

Wow. I feel cheated. When I was in school there was no middle school. You went to grade school from 1st to 7th grade. Then you went to high school from 8th to 12 grade.

I was a complete geek in middle school. I'd been a grade skipper so I was younger than all the other kids, with braces and glasses and the whole nine yards. It was what you might call an awkward time. :lol:
I made up for it later on though. ;)

Wow. I feel cheated. When I was in school there was no middle school. You went to grade school from 1st to 7th grade. Then you went to high school from 8th to 12 grade.

I went to parochial school grades 1-8 for grammar and 9-12 for high school, and high school was all male so the dances werent a priority.

I really enjoyed my middle school, then it was just 7th and 8th. The school I'm teaching in is a preschool-8th grade and I must admit it's fun watching the kids mature.

My grammar school was nightmare: the hitting nuns. I became a selective mute, I know some wish I would now. :doubt: Not happening! :tongue:

High school was way over crowded, I'm not addressing class sizes, rather the unsafe number of occupants in a building. We were on 8 shifts: 1st began at 6:45 am; last began at 11:40 am. Yeah. Those middle periods caused me to follow my claustrophobic tendencies, I got out of Dodge. It was 'ok' though, teachers couldn't count homework, as long as you showed up for tests and did well, the grades were good. Now I know I missed lots that would have served me well, but being the geeky person I was, I did keep up with reading philosophy, poltics, classic literature, etc. Math? Science? Not so much. Bad move on my part.

Middle school was just those Goldilocks period for me. Wonderful teachers, lots of friends and activities.

I really enjoyed my middle school, then it was just 7th and 8th. The school I'm teaching in is a preschool-8th grade and I must admit it's fun watching the kids mature.

My grammar school was nightmare: the hitting nuns. I became a selective mute, I know some wish I would now. :doubt: Not happening! :tongue:

High school was way over crowded, I'm not addressing class sizes, rather the unsafe number of occupants in a building. We were on 8 shifts: 1st began at 6:45 am; last began at 11:40 am. Yeah. Those middle periods caused me to follow my claustrophobic tendencies, I got out of Dodge. It was 'ok' though, teachers couldn't count homework, as long as you showed up for tests and did well, the grades were good. Now I know I missed lots that would have served me well, but being the geeky person I was, I did keep up with reading philosophy, poltics, classic literature, etc. Math? Science? Not so much. Bad move on my part.

Middle school was just those Goldilocks period for me. Wonderful teachers, lots of friends and activities.

Sounds like you were lucky at a hard age. So many kids get lost about that time. Most of them find themselves again of course, but it's such an awkward phase.

7th and 8th grade BLEW to the highest degree.

Everyone is mean to everyone else.

The all of a sudden, I entered high school, and miraculously everything improved.

Sounds like you were lucky at a hard age. So many kids get lost about that time. Most of them find themselves again of course, but it's such an awkward phase.

I was indeed. I guess that's why I've stayed teaching in middle school, a combo of understanding mom and drill sergeant can really help turn some kids around and keep others on the right path. They are still at an age where their thinking is flexible, it's so enervating to watch the wheels turn when discussing something like the Holocaust with a child brought up in a home to hate some minority group or another, then as the discussion progresses to other groups or the Balkans/Darfur, you can see a light bulb moment! Funny thing is, the moments, rather like-moments, are more frequent than one could wish for!

The number of kids that come back to visit, even when finished with high school and into college; the number of letters; I've receive 4 copies of school newspapers sent naming me 'an inspirational person in my life', shocking! I'm only in my 11th year of teaching, but unlike a primary teacher, mine do 'grow up' quickly. ;)

My experience in parochial school is different though than the public school I attended. I teach 6-8 every year for social studies. This year i have 6th grade at least 2 times a day; 7th three times; 8th once. That's a lot of time with the same kids over 3 years. As I implied, when I was in public middle school, I repeated only 2 teachers during those years. While I remembered them, it never occurred to me to return and say thank you!

I went to parochial school grades 1-8 for grammar and 9-12 for high school, and high school was all male so the dances werent a priority.

Ditto, except that high school was all female.

My youngest is in 7th grade, public school, and this is the year where they start having dances one a month or so. They had the first one last night. Did she go? Why no, she's grounded from dances and computer till she gets her shit together and brings her grades up in the four classes she's doing lousy in. Oh, she's smart and all and does well on the tests . . . . she's just 'forgetting' to turn in homework and classwork. Had the exact same problem with her older sister. Freaking genetics.

Ditto, except that high school was all female.

My youngest is in 7th grade, public school, and this is the year where they start having dances one a month or so. They had the first one last night. Did she go? Why no, she's grounded from dances and computer till she gets her shit together and brings her grades up in the four classes she's doing lousy in. Oh, she's smart and all and does well on the tests . . . . she's just 'forgetting' to turn in homework and classwork. Had the exact same problem with her older sister. Freaking genetics.

This was longer than I'd intended, it's the 'teacher in me.'

Genetics or temperament certainly plays a part. ;) For some kids, whether because of 'perfection' drive or 'inattention' issues, changing classes and short passing times can be overwhelming. There are some things teacher, parents, and students can do to help those.

Make sure she has a Trapper or some sort of accordion type file, clearly labeled by classes and by a color label or sticker, (all math related items blue; all science items, orange; etc). Have all notebooks, book covers, and folder in the same color by subject. When she goes to locker or desk at passing times, she'll be able to grab the right items quickly. If locker/desk are a mess, call the teacher or if possible go to school extra early and help here get organized. Morning materials in one part/afternoon in another. Tape her schedule to the front of daily planner-especially important if each day's schedule is different. In the morning she can flip to schedule to see what she needs for her morning classes. (Hint: highlight each subject by 'subject color' on her schedule, she won't have to 'read' if she's late, just grab the right colors!)

While you can't follow her to classes, you can check it after homework time, (if homework is posted online, it still should be in written planner. Internet does go down and teachers do sometimes forget!) All math papers in math slot of accordion; social studies in SS slot; etc. When homework is done and daily planner checked, everything goes into back pack. Every folder, every text book. Check the books-make sure there aren't folded papers in any! For kids that do their homework but can't find it when it's time, the paper is either on their desk at home or in a book of another subject-they find it 3 days later, too late.

Make sure one of the accordion files is marked: "things to hand in at homeroom" or whatever works: Permission slips, fines, notes from home, lunch money etc." Kids freak when they realize they 'forgot' their fines, again! Before bedtime she should put the backpack in the way of whatever door she leave the house-she'll have to trip over it to forget it!

It's a smart idea for kids to pick out and lay out their clothes the night before, by early teens they really are not functioning well at 7 am or earlier. To be able to find what they want to wear, down to their shoes, speeds things up and helps them get organized about eating breakfast and being on time.

One last thing, if the school has online grading and homework, check it daily until those grades are up. I put all my homework online, including things parents might not know about, like my quia pages; a site I pay for and am able to post quizzes for each subject to help them review materials and prepare for exams, (if you want to see my actual pages or my homework site, email me, there's identifying information and I don't want it 'out there.') Many kids don't consider those types of things 'homework' and aren't utilizing a very easy way to prepare-not too mention the teacher can 'see' effort!:

Homework-6th Grade
SOCIAL STUDIES:
Mesopotamia Webquest-groups have been formed, but no due date yet.

VOCABULARY:
Unit 3 test Wednesday.
Practice quia and Sadlier.

LANGUAGE ARTS:
NONE

REMEMBER TO CHECK LINKS FOR QUIA ACTIVITIES AND QUIZZES! THERE IS ALSO A LINK TO SADLIER FOR VOCABULARY!

I even post some lessons that the kids will be working on from home. There are embedded links which won't show up here, but you'll get the gist. I've had parents ring me to say they saw their child working on something like this, sat down with them and they had a blast, while learning or remembering something they forgot:

Ancient Mesopotamia Webquest

INTRODUCTION:
Picture this:

Sumer 1800 BC. You and a few fellow time travelers are here, at the land between the rivers.

TASK: You and your fellows are going to prepare a presentation to share your findings. As a group, you will be interviewing some of the ‘movers & shakers’ in ancient Mesopotamia; describing and capturing pictures or drawings of the most interesting of your finds; creating a map of the region; and lastly telling the story of a day in the life of your average man, woman, & child in this ancient land. Of course you wouldn’t want to have to do all this on your own, in a strange place! That’s why you have a group, to divide and conquer!

PROCESS:
Your group of three or four, (if you are in a group of three, you will not need to assign a cartographer), will divide up the roles you will each complete. While there will be a ‘group grade’ you will all be individually graded for your work. In all roles you will need to do research, either online or at the library. Each role is of equal importance, just a reminder that part of your group grade is working efficiently and cooperatively within the group.

Once you have your role, prepare a list of questions you need to have answers to, (in other words, brainstorm), I’ll be giving you a list of good links to start with, but you are free to seek out others, as well as information from books, magazines, etc. Found at the library. Be sure to keep track of any sources that you use, this means the 'page' you took the information off of. For instance, you would NOT give me this link, rather you would cite This link!

The group needs to decide how they will present their information, it may be that several methods will be employed: For instance it might be partially a power point, role playing interviews, posters, or travel guides. You might have 'guests' you bring back in your time machine and interview using modern technology. Only your imaginations and time constraints will limit you!

ROLES:

The Journalist:
Your task will be to find some interesting people to interview, perhaps Hammurabi, Gilgamesh, or Abraham for starters? A good place to begin would be with the names found in your textbook, though you may find some interesting people while doing research on any of them. Often one person leads to many more, but as a journalist, you know that! The sort of questions you might ask, (and answer), would be along the lines of their position? What they have accomplished? The impact on their civilization? Their families? Of course you will have other questions and answers you will share in your presentation.

The Historian:
You will gather the information on the daily life of people in Mesopotamia. You will want to explain any differences between the responsibilities or roles of men/women; boys/girls; rich/poor; slaves/free. What did they eat? What holidays were there? Festivals? Games? School? What did people do for a living? What did they invent? I’m certain you will come up with more questions.

The Museum Curator:
You will search for images or draw pictures of things that would be found in ancient Mesopotamia. Architecture, untensils, jewelry, games, toys, etc. You will explain to your audience the importance or usefulness of the items presented. Your presentation will be visually appealing and easy to follow.

The Cartographer:
You will make the map, adding your own personal stamp on it. For instance, there might be details added regarding irrigation; what certain cities were known for. All major cities will be listed and the map will be presented in a neat, visually appealing manner. There must be latitude and longitude lines; a legend; a compass rose; and a title. You may want to try this online site to create one free?

EVALUATION: Rubrics follow

CONCLUSION: At the completion of your presentation both the presenters and their audience should have a better understanding of the civilization of ancient Mesopotamia. We should have a clear idea of daily life, government, and tools used over 1500 years ago!

USEFUL LINKS FOR ALL:

Geography, daily life, Gilgamesh, …
The British Museum
How to cite sources

STANDARDS:
14.C.3 Compare historical issues involving rights, roles and status of individuals in relation to municipalities, states and the nation.
15.D.3b Explain how comparative advantage forms the basis for specialization and trade among nations.
15.D.3c Explain how workers can affect their productivity through training and by using tools, machinery and technology
16.A.3a Describe how historians use models for organizing historical interpretation (e.g., biographies, political events, issues and conflicts).
16.A.3b Make inferences about historical events and eras using historical maps and other historical sources.
16.B.3b (W) Identify causes and effects of the decline of the Roman empire and other major world political events (e.g., rise of the Islamic empire, rise and decline of the T’ang dynasty, establishment of the kingdom of Ghana) between 500 CE and 1500 CE.
16.D.3 (W) Identify the origins and analyze consequences of events that have shaped world social history including famines, migrations, plagues, slave trad
16.E.3a (W) Describe how the people of the Huang He, Tigris-Euphrates, Nile and Indus river valleys shaped their environments during the agricultural revolution, 4000 - 1000 BCE.
16.E.3b (W) Explain how expanded European and Asian contacts affected the environment of both continents, 1000 BCE - 1500 CE
17.A.3b Explain how to make and use geo graphic representations to provide and enhance spatial information including maps, graphs, charts, models, aerial photographs, satellite images.
17.C.3a Explain how human activity is affected by geographic factors.
17.C.3b Explain how patterns of resources are used throughout the world.
17.C.3c Analyze how human processes influ ence settlement patterns including migration and population growth.
STATE GOAL 18: Understand social systems, with an emphasis on the United States.
A. Compare characteristics of culture as reflected in language, literature, the arts, traditions and institutions.
B. Understand the roles and interactions of individuals and groups in society.

Individual Rubrics
Cartographer

Exemplary
Accomplished
Developing
Beginning
Score
Information
All major cities were identified. Additional information was clear on the map
Many major cities were identified. Additional information was clear on the map
Few major cities were listed, details were sketchy and/or incomplete
Few or no important details were evident.
Choice of presentation method
The presentation was creative,, interesting, and informative
The presentation was mostly effective in delivering the necessary information
The presentation method chosen conveyed the necessary information, but was difficult to follow
The presentation method chosen was not effective, the audience was unable to gain the information

Work in groups
Was focused and on task. Helped other group members
Mostly focused on task. Willing to help others
Used some time effectively.
Needed more direction than appropriate or had trouble working with group
Score

/12

There are rubrics for 'the group' and each individual role, but they don't 'transfer' nicely. Online grading is great! I'll be the first to admit I don't always get papers graded as quickly as I'd like, but the parents can see what is going on. If they are concerned, they can send me an email from that site-if there is some 'big paper' I've not yet graded, I can pull it and let them know if things are 'the same' or 'good news!'

LOL! I just realized, this is a good example of what goes into 'lesson plans'!

Having to deal with starting to notice an attraction to girls, and many of them growing some nice sized boobies, but still being too young to do anything about it besides go home and "practice".

Agna's lucky...he gets to revisit those fantasies and make up for them by actually acting on them now. :lol:

Having to deal with starting to notice an attraction to girls, and many of them growing some nice sized boobies, but still being too young to do anything about it besides go home and "practice".

Agna's lucky...he gets to revisit those fantasies and make up for them by actually acting on them now. :lol:

Ah yes! Ever led a discussion on the War of 1812 and have a 7th grade girl break down in tears? :eek: Hormones are our enemy! :lol:

Grade school was 1 thru 8 then high school. Girls and boys were segregated in grade school, mass everyday and the nuns were mean and extremely controlling.

I had friends who were great, we acted out and got in lots of trouble after school and on weekends because we were so stifled during the school day.

High school was better.

my worst memory from junior high would have to be my brother getting shot labor day weekend of my eight grade year, his senior year and then having everyone in school repeating gossip about the incident.
Other then that it was probably when my boyfriend of three months, which is like a year in junior high time :lol: broke up with me because I was hanging out with my guy friends. :)
I was so heart broken. :lol:

my worst memory from junior high would have to be my brother getting shot labor day weekend of my eight grade year, his senior year and then having everyone in school repeating gossip about the incident.
Other then that it was probably when my boyfriend of three months, which is like a year in junior high time :lol: broke up with me because I was hanging out with my guy friends. :)
I was so heart broken. :lol:

Three months? In middle school time that's practically engaged. :lol:

Oh! I know and he was probably the last non asshole boyfriend I had. :lol:
Man I was stupid for not holding onto him.
I saw him at my reunion, still a very nice guy but married now. DAMN!

Forum List

Back