Your Middle School Years

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by random3434, Oct 17, 2009.

1. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Annie was just saying on another thread she chaperoned a middle school dance last night.

Goldcatt and I were talking about our middle school years, and our worst memories of those times.

What are yours?

2. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,733
    Wow. I feel cheated. When I was in school there was no middle school. You went to grade school from 1st to 7th grade. Then you went to high school from 8th to 12 grade.

3. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    I was a complete geek in middle school. I'd been a grade skipper so I was younger than all the other kids, with braces and glasses and the whole nine yards. It was what you might call an awkward time. :lol:
    I made up for it later on though. ;)

4. noose4

noose4 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +610
    I went to parochial school grades 1-8 for grammar and 9-12 for high school, and high school was all male so the dances werent a priority.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I really enjoyed my middle school, then it was just 7th and 8th. The school I'm teaching in is a preschool-8th grade and I must admit it's fun watching the kids mature.

My grammar school was nightmare: the hitting nuns. I became a selective mute, I know some wish I would now. :doubt: Not happening! :tongue:

High school was way over crowded, I'm not addressing class sizes, rather the unsafe number of occupants in a building. We were on 8 shifts: 1st began at 6:45 am; last began at 11:40 am. Yeah. Those middle periods caused me to follow my claustrophobic tendencies, I got out of Dodge. It was 'ok' though, teachers couldn't count homework, as long as you showed up for tests and did well, the grades were good. Now I know I missed lots that would have served me well, but being the geeky person I was, I did keep up with reading philosophy, poltics, classic literature, etc. Math? Science? Not so much. Bad move on my part.

Middle school was just those Goldilocks period for me. Wonderful teachers, lots of friends and activities.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    Sounds like you were lucky at a hard age. So many kids get lost about that time. Most of them find themselves again of course, but it's such an awkward phase.

7. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    7th and 8th grade BLEW to the highest degree.

Everyone is mean to everyone else.

The all of a sudden, I entered high school, and miraculously everything improved.

8. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    didnt have middle school...high school sucked...i still have nightmares about having to go back to high school

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I was indeed. I guess that's why I've stayed teaching in middle school, a combo of understanding mom and drill sergeant can really help turn some kids around and keep others on the right path. They are still at an age where their thinking is flexible, it's so enervating to watch the wheels turn when discussing something like the Holocaust with a child brought up in a home to hate some minority group or another, then as the discussion progresses to other groups or the Balkans/Darfur, you can see a light bulb moment! Funny thing is, the moments, rather like-moments, are more frequent than one could wish for!

The number of kids that come back to visit, even when finished with high school and into college; the number of letters; I've receive 4 copies of school newspapers sent naming me 'an inspirational person in my life', shocking! I'm only in my 11th year of teaching, but unlike a primary teacher, mine do 'grow up' quickly. ;)

My experience in parochial school is different though than the public school I attended. I teach 6-8 every year for social studies. This year i have 6th grade at least 2 times a day; 7th three times; 8th once. That's a lot of time with the same kids over 3 years. As I implied, when I was in public middle school, I repeated only 2 teachers during those years. While I remembered them, it never occurred to me to return and say thank you!

10. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,129
    Ditto, except that high school was all female.

My youngest is in 7th grade, public school, and this is the year where they start having dances one a month or so. They had the first one last night. Did she go? Why no, she's grounded from dances and computer till she gets her shit together and brings her grades up in the four classes she's doing lousy in. Oh, she's smart and all and does well on the tests . . . . she's just 'forgetting' to turn in homework and classwork. Had the exact same problem with her older sister. Freaking genetics.