Your local Direct Democracy guy here.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by CowboyMcCoy, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,242
    welcome

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,630
    I think there are certain issues which ought to be decided by democratic referendum voting.

Taxation might be a good example. Going to war or nation building another example of things that might be best decided by the PEOPLE

Most issues, though, are probably better done by representational democracy.

Why?

Well if for no other reason because there are far too many things to be decided that people just don't care enough about, or are too damned complex for them to truly be able to make a qualified decision.

3. percysunshine

percysunshine Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,258

Actually, it is your 15th birthday.

4. peach174

peach174 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,003
    Welcome to the board, CowboyMcCoy

Direct Democracy does not give the minority protection against the majority.
    This is why our founders did not want a democracy, especially a direct democracy.
    They gave us a republic, that is suppose to control the majority and is suppose to protect the individual, with God given rights. It gives freedom for all with a constitutionally limited government,with states rights. With states rights, it gives the people the power,as well as the individual, not the federal government.
    We need to get back to this type of government.

5. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    To better explain, the founders never considered adding the people as a partnership. In other words, the legislation you can vote for now doesn't eliminate Congress nor the House nor the Supreme court nor veto power.

Have a look see at the proposed structure as it would be if we actually got off our cans and voted for the bill.

[youtube]cTWovg0F76U[/youtube]

6. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    At least you can see the benefits in such a bill. I'm not here to argue about it really. I just want to raise awareness, even if it will not likely happen soon. I wish it would though. All you need is a voter ID to vote for it at The National Initiative for Democracy

7. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    By the way, it does give you protection against the majority. The majority of your votes get sold away for other people's interests. Or have you liked what's gone on for over the past decade? Think about it. That's all I'm asking.

8. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,846
    Because they’re human and imperfect, subject to hate, ignorance, greed, stupidity, and arrogance…

…and that’s just on USMB…

Incorrect.

The House is the people’s venue. And they too are subject to the rule of law.

9. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've noticed a few belligerents and reactionaries. But when it's all said and done, we can vote on it. Then, like I've explained, there is the House, Senate and us. So the law making bodies make up 1/3 of the legislators. You shouldn't worry too much about the malcontents. We know who they are, even if they post a lot of garbage.

I don't think 435 Representatives/legislators are "the people". But now we'd get down to semantics and I hate those sorts of arguments. I do get your point, but I take a slightly different look at its structure.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  10. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,415
    Direct democracy does NOT work in large groups. It becomes mob rule. The majority decides issues and can easily terrorize or destroy the minority.

Once again I point you to California. They have a mechanism for the people to create legislation via the ballot system and because of it about 60 percent of their budget can not be changed altered or fixed no matter the problem or concern. Mob rule is NOT what we want.