Your ISP Is Screwing You:

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
In Japan, a multiple-megabit Internet connection costs pennies. I pay $99 for 50-mbps (and that’s really about 1 mbps (when it’s not raining) in Brooklyn. But why, you ask? Well, to hear cable companies (and carriers) tell it, it costs a pretty penny to get all that data to your door. Providers have to lease connectivity from the backbone and, as such, they’re forced to add caps to prevent us users from sucking down too much data and bankrupting them. But Mr. Cringeley, in an excellent examination of the real bandwidth costs in America, proves them wrong.

Your ISP Is Screwing You: As Your Service Costs Go Up, Their Backbone Costs Go Down | TechCrunch

Last edited:
And I pay $72 for Basic plan of download at 1.0 Mbps, upload at 200 Kbps and a max of 200 MB every 24 hours. Of course from 2 am to 6 am I get unlimited download and upload. Only thing they have at present being on the fringe of wireless range out here in the boonies.

And Ringel, you should put quotes around that, I though you were saying that you paid $99 but your not in New Yawk.

Last edited:
I pay 29€ for Telephone with fixed network flatrate and unlimited internet (real 1.1 MB /s download and about 50 KB /s upload).

Forum List

Back