Your In-Laws

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
How many of you are close to your In-Laws?

If you're divorced, do you still keep in touch with them?

Nope. Wife's manipulative, alcoholic mom hates me and my wife won't have anything to do with her, her dad was a drunk and passed last year. Her older brother and his is wife are upscale trailer trash rednecks (who also happen to be Democrats, I wonder if he's posting as KerryWonOhio?), her younger sister is a former welfare whore with 3 (now grown) kids by three different guys, one of which was killed a few years ago for ratting out some other drug dealers and the first of which hung himself because of her antics. Her Grandmother was an abusive, manipulative bitch. The only one we have any contact with is her youngest brother who lives in New York state and who also has very little to do with the rest of the family. Such is life. :lol:

Hombre's dad was not what one would choose for an ideal Father-in-law, drank to excess, and pretty egocentric, and his mom reacted to that by being the world's most negative person who found fault with ALL her inlaws. Both are gone for some time now and we try to remember the more pleasant times.

The rest of my inlaws are terrific, I love them all dearly, and am as close to them as I am to my own family. If Hombre should pass on before I do, I can't imagine I won't stay in touch with everybody. In the few rare cases of divorce, the divorced partner generally has stayed in touch with the rest of us, comes to weddings and funerals etc.

My inlaws are a far more functional family than my own.

All I have is a very weird, abusive sister-in-law. We both can't stand her, and haven't seen her since my MIL passed away 4 years ago.

I am still very close to my ex husband's mother. She is family in my book, and sees her granddaughter (Mini EZ) as often as she can.

She spent last weekend down at her great-grandmother's house with her grandma and all her aunts and uncles on her dad's side and had a BLAST!

I am so blessed to have such a great woman in my life, and my daughter's life!

The parental-n-laws are dead. My one sil has stopped talking to us and we don't know why. She doesn't return phone calls so we stopped calling. Her hubs talks to us when we see them but other than niceties, she doesn't really talk to us. They bailed on the oldest's h.s. graduation party three years ago. We're having another grad party in June. Wonder if they'll show.

My MIL was a real piece of work. At her best she was manipulative and did all she could to undermine our marriage and parenting. In the last couple years of marriage, she had some sort of mental break down and would call me up to 60 times a day, (both her husband and sons would not take her calls at work, I felt sorry for her. :rolleyes: ) After we separated I found out she encouraged the affair my husband was carrying on. A few months later I get a call from my FIL saying wife tried to stab him during the night, please come, he couldn't get a hold of my husband. I did and truth to tell, he was mostly a decent sort.

Saw him yesterday at my son's graduation, going-away, birthday party. LOL! I went to shake his hand and he grabbed me in bear hug. He said to me, "Michael has made huge mistakes." I just shook my head and said, "I'm fine." I know I'd be better off living on the street than with that man. ;) I do miss the money though!

I love mine! They keep their distance and are not into our business all the time. They are there when need them and us for them. It has worked out to be a very good relationship.

Now it going the other way.. He got the in laws from HELL! Of which i told him up front about and to ignore and blow off.. :lol:

My in-laws are good people and I get along with them well and have nothing bad to say about any of them.

The only hard part is that they live in the same town as my family and we live away. So when we are home, it's hard to balance time.

I guess I am fortunate to have that kind of problem.

I am still very close to my ex husband's mother. She is family in my book, and sees her granddaughter (Mini EZ) as often as she can.

She spent last weekend down at her great-grandmother's house with her grandma and all her aunts and uncles on her dad's side and had a BLAST!

I am so blessed to have such a great woman in my life, and my daughter's life!

"Mini EZ", I like that :p

I have no in-laws, but when I did, no I wasn't very close to them, any of them.
For my first husband, his Dad is deceased and his Mother is a bitch from hell!
My second husband's family were somewhat better, but they have both pasesd away now, but I was closest to his Mother.

Forum List

Back