your government is not your friend

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
When the government forgives million dollar corporate debts but threatens you with a lawsuit over a 5 cent unemployment overpayment, you know we need to reorganize.

washington state news

EAST WENATCHEE, Wash. (AP) - When the Washington state Department of Employment Security notified Sandi Bryan that she owed money for an unemployment compensation overpayment more than six years ago, she picked up the phone.

Little good that did - until word that she was being threatened with court action over a nickel reached the right ears.

Bryan told The Wenatchee World she asked the state employee who took her call on a toll-free line whether she should mail in a nickel taped to a piece of paper.

"I said, 'Do you realize for this nickel, you paid an employee to type this ... (spent) 37 cents for postage, and you want me to pay for a money order and the postage?'" she said.

The response was that the money had to be paid properly. End of discussion.

Bryan said she was overpaid when she was on unemployment for about three months more than six years ago but thought she had paid it all back.

Then, out of the blue, she got a notice dated June 18 that demanded payment of five cents, after which "the Superior Court warrant will be satisfied immediately."

Officials plan to use recently acquired technology to review the use of automated billings for minuscule sums, Alexander said.

"We should have procedures that make sense," Alexander said. "(We) want to apologize for the situation and for the woman's frustration."

I once got a bill from the phone company for .51 cents. And your point?

How you are trying to tie this to corporate corruption I have NO IDEA!

freeandfun1 said:
I once got a bill from the phone company for .51 cents. And your point?

How you are trying to tie this to corporate corruption I have NO IDEA!

If you read corporate corruption ties out of that, maybe you should be wearing the tin foil hat. I was simply pointing out the idiocy of government when it comes to dealing with money, business, and people.

When the government forgives million dollar corporate debts but threatens you with a lawsuit over a 5 cent unemployment overpayment, you know we need to reorganize.

First off, in the article, they apologized. Secondly, point out the millions in corporate debt that have been forgiven.

thanks.

freeandfun1 said:
First off, in the article, they apologized. Secondly, point out the millions in corporate debt that have been forgiven.

thanks.

so because they apologized and are trying to fix it, I shouldn't post it? Or slam them for it? WTF is your problem with that? And if you also have completely ignored the business/government world you'd KNOW without a doubt that on a weekly basis business's are fined for violations that come nowhere near to matching the amount that they bilked from consumers. Deny that.

The biggest problem in this story lies with "The State of Washington". This state is hell-bent on becoming a Nanny-State; governed by rules centered around 'if it's FUN, it MUST be illegal'. To that end, Policies are in place which preclude a LOT of common, uh, cents. ;)

:D

-=d=- said:
The biggest problem in this story lies with "The State of Washington". This state is hell-bent on becoming a Nanny-State; governed by rules centered around 'if it's FUN, it MUST be illegal'. To that end, Policies are in place which preclude a LOT of common, uh, cents. ;)

:D

good one. :laugh:

DKSuddeth said:
so because they apologized and are trying to fix it, I shouldn't post it? Or slam them for it? WTF is your problem with that? And if you also have completely ignored the business/government world you'd KNOW without a doubt that on a weekly basis business's are fined for violations that come nowhere near to matching the amount that they bilked from consumers. Deny that.

you're just a corporate basher never realizing that it is CORPORATIONS of ALL SIZES that employ the citizens of this country (probably including you). If you don't like working for a "corporate master" then become your own corporate master. I am sick of all the corporation bashing and you guys on the left ignoring the GOOD a LOT of corporations do.

So there! :funnyface: :wine:

freeandfun1 said:
you're just a corporate basher never realizing that it is CORPORATIONS of ALL SIZES that employ the citizens of this country (probably including you). If you don't like working for a "corporate master" then become your own corporate master. I am sick of all the corporation bashing and you guys on the left ignoring the GOOD a LOT of corporations do.

So there! :funnyface: :wine:

Ok. on a serious (not critical or sarcastic) note, you're right. I am a corporate basher, but only when they abuse and overly exploit the system. Some, maybe even you, think its quite alright that they do this as its all about capitalism, but thats not alright. If you're sick of all the bashing, then do something to make the corporate world play on a non-criminal, ethical basis. Otherwise it doesn't matter a hill of beans that they do good when the bad will so obviously outweigh the good that they do.

DKSuddeth said:
Ok. on a serious (not critical or sarcastic) note, you're right. I am a corporate basher, but only when they abuse and overly exploit the system. Some, maybe even you, think its quite alright that they do this as its all about capitalism, but thats not alright. If you're sick of all the bashing, then do something to make the corporate world play on a non-criminal, ethical basis. Otherwise it doesn't matter a hill of beans that they do good when the bad will so obviously outweigh the good that they do.

you paint with too broad of a brush. I own three corporations. One, a Nevada "S" Corporation, one, a Deleware "C" corporation and the other a Nevada Limited Liability (LLC) Corporation. I treat my employees damn good. I just bought my secretary of nearly 10 years a house (I put up the $30,000 downpayment as a gift). Not all corporation treat their employees bad. You are lumping all corporate owners into one category and that is fucked up. Especially from a liberal. Aren't you guys the ones saying that all Muslims can't be judged by the actions of one, or one homo can't be judged by the actions of one or one black murderer does not make all murderers black? I mean, c'mon. In all seriousness, get off your corporate bashing. My small CORPORATIONS employee a vast array of people. Out of over 50 employees I would say that about 45 to 50% are "of color" whether they be Asian, Hispanic, black, etc.

So be more fair.

-=d=- said:
Or you can just stopy fretting over what one guy thinks/says, ya know? Fair is over-rated. :)

-=d=- neither you nor I come here to stop fretting over what one guy think/says right? That is the reason for these forums. Right?

DOH!

Hannitized said:
You hiring? ;)
LOL!

no now. my secretary has been exceptionally good. she is a single mom of three (her ex went to prison for nearly beating her to death) and she works like nobody I have ever seen! She is strictly a 9 - 5'er, but when she is at work, she works her ass off. She could move up the ladder if she wanted, but she does not want to committ the time needed (her choice). So we do what we can to help her in other ways.

Everything wrong with private business is 10 times worse in government. Businesses ultimately answer to market forces and consumer choice. Government answers to nobody.

Power corrupts. Total power corrupts totally. Government has total power, thus they should be trusted with as little as possible.

freeandfun1 said:
-=d=- neither you nor I come here to stop fretting over what one guy think/says right? That is the reason for these forums. Right?

DOH!
My larger point is - nobody cares about 'grouping' people based on their behavior until 'they' are part of a group. I'm pretty sure I've seen you rant about how 'Arabs/Islamists/homos' whatever are bad and junk. I'm pretty sure I've seen you and others - maybe it was in that 'Terror in the Air' thread I made? - defend screening passengers based on suspicious looks/behaviours, etc. Nobody is accusing 'you' of unethical actions. I'd say 'corporations' are generally not trusted by the average joe, slaving away, working for 'TheMan'. Corporations and Government 'are' TheMan.

:)

-=d=- said:
My larger point is - nobody cares about 'grouping' people based on their behavior until 'they' are part of a group. I'm pretty sure I've seen you rant about how 'Arabs/Islamists/homos' whatever are bad and junk. I'm pretty sure I've seen you and others - maybe it was in that 'Terror in the Air' thread I made? - defend screening passengers based on suspicious looks/behaviours, etc. Nobody is accusing 'you' of unethical actions. I'd say 'corporations' are generally not trusted by the average joe, slaving away, working for 'TheMan'. Corporations and Government 'are' TheMan.

:)

WTF? You are over the line. Find a quote from me. Go ahead.

Do you realize how many people in this world own corporations? MOST small businesses are corporations. Both of you are showing your ignorance.

freeandfun1 said:
no now. my secretary has been exceptionally good. she is a single mom of three (her ex went to prison for nearly beating her to death) and she works like nobody I have ever seen! She is strictly a 9 - 5'er, but when she is at work, she works her ass off. She could move up the ladder if she wanted, but she does not want to committ the time needed (her choice). So we do what we can to help her in other ways.
That's awesome! Make the employees happy and the employees will make you happy!! :beer:

Hannitized said:
That's awesome! Make the employees happy and the employees will make you happy!! :beer:

with her around, I can do what I need to do and not worry about things. She screens my calls extremely well (too good for some, telemarketers are always bitching at her and she gives it right back to em!).

I believe employees are a companies greatest ASSET!

Forum List

Back