Your First Successful Hunt

Swagger

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2011
Up on the scaffold
I've enjoyed hunting in some shape or form my whole life. My first kill that I skinned and ate was a rabbit shot with my uncle's Enfield SMLE re-bored to .22 rimfire (not actual rifle used). I stalked and killed a deer with my father when I was fourteen. My most memorable kill, however, was with a bow in the States about a year after I got married. I've been a committed archer since I was in school, and I plan on taking my replica of a 2nd century legionary bow to hunt with when we return in the autumn/fall.

When was your first successful hunt, how old were you, what game/animal did you take and what weapon did you use?

My son and I went snipe hunting last weekend. While they really aren't in season yet, nobody seems to care if you bag a couple of pillowcases full of the little buggers

We cooked them up on the grill and served them with fava beans and a nice Chianti

Next week we are going to Pennsylvania to hunt Jackalope.

Last edited:
Anyone see that 14th century Hungarian crossbow in the movie "Man whore"? That was a beaut.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xHTKYbBFbo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xHTKYbBFbo[/ame]​

Last edited:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4RKoRyTik"]I don't know about any 14th century hungarian crossbows, Dot Com, but check-out this Englishman's semi-automatic crossbow. The cocking mechanism's from a computer printer.[/ame]

I've enjoyed hunting in some shape or form my whole life. My first kill that I skinned and ate was a rabbit shot with my uncle's Enfield SMLE re-bored to .22 rimfire (not actual rifle used). I stalked and killed a deer with my father when I was fourteen. My most memorable kill, however, was with a bow in the States about a year after I got married. I've been a committed archer since I was in school, and I plan on taking my replica of a 2nd century legionary bow to hunt with when we return in the autumn/fall.

When was your first successful hunt, how old were you, what game/animal did you take and what weapon did you use?
My first kill was a rabbit. I took it with a bow and pinned it, still alive to a tree. I was 10 and had to wring the poor animal's neck. I haven't used a bow since.
I prefer to dispatch my game quickly and humanely. I have taken deer, bear, cougar and all kinds of small game and game birds.
That rabbit is still the only animal that I've needed to dispatch with my hands.

Montana Elk hunt.
270 WSM

Too excited and pulled the shot and missed but the experience was incredible.
:cool:

First hunt was with my dad's Marlin .22 rifle (still have that old thing) squirrel hunting.
Bagged 3. dad showed me how to skin the first one. I had to skin the other 2.
best meal I ever had
:clap2:

My first kill was a rabbit. I took it with a bow and pinned it, still alive to a tree. I was 10 and had to wring the poor animal's neck. I haven't used a bow since.
I prefer to dispatch my game quickly and humanely. I have taken deer, bear, cougar and all kinds of small game and game birds.
That rabbit is still the only animal that I've needed to dispatch with my hands.

I'm intrigued about the bear and the cougar, Ernie. Did you take them from a hide; and what firearm did you use? I've never taken a large predator. Not likely to, either.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAyCVTV8-lM&feature=related]real repeating tactical crossbow xobra (zobra) zombie killer - YouTube[/ame]​

Forum List

Back