Your favourite religious building

temple-apollo-delphi-greece-brent-kelly.jpg

I don't know if it is considered a 'religious building,' but the Taj Mahal, which is a mausoleum, is probably the most beautiful building I've seen. I also found Delphi, in Greece, which was an ancient religious site, to be a very beautiful place, in all its parts.

Of the two, Delphi is my favorite. There is an aura there.....something very eloquent, almost disturbing, but in a good way.

Last edited:
I don't know if it is considered a 'religious building,' but the Taj Mahal, which is a mausoleum, is probably the most beautiful building I've seen. I also found Delphi, in Greece, which was an ancient religious site, to be a very beautiful place, in all its parts.

Of the two, Delphi is my favorite.

You know what - I met my wife at the Taj! Beat that!

Not technically religious, but it certainly FEELS religious, doesn't it? Spritiual, perhaps.

Lipush -

I love the old synagoge in Budapest - it is gorgeous! I am not always a huge fan of the architeture of synagogues, but there are some like Sofia and two of the old ones in Kazimierz (Cracow, Poland) that stand out.

Yes, it is. My father used to be in the Beit Midrash there, it was the place my family used to go to back in Europe, it was truely amazing seeing it:)

Lipush -

Yes, that is amazing. It was also the first building in Israel I ever saw, from the deck of my boat coming in from Athens. I will always remember it rising out of the dawn light, up above the Carmel hills.

It's a lovely building and a really interesting tour. Haifa is a great place to visit.

Frank -

Wow, that is a FANTASTIC choice. I'm impressed.

It is a very, very beautiful place. Not a lot of Americans ever get to see it, either.

When were you there?

Notre-Dame basilica in Montreal. The exterior is not so special, but the interior is stunning. The statues are carved, mostly from white pine, and polychromed. The artisans who did the interior work were substantially from Montreal. Interestingly, the architect James O'Donnell was an Irish-American Protestant, who converted to Catholicism after his work was done in 1829.

notredamemontreal.jpg

Stonehenge by far and away.

Loved Notre Dame but I agree that many churches are not so much for for the glorification of a god as for human ego and buying their way into heaven.

This is undeniably a beautiful building but its purpose is anything but -

1551638_10151950682021275_840270262_n.jpg

Forum List

Back