Your Favorite Things About Israel

dce6c8ad83e57f7149fdc5e589658d96952728f1.png

Be it known to the king that the Yehudim who came up from you to us have reached Yerushalayim and are rebuilding that rebellious and wicked city; they are completing the walls and repairing the foundation
Ezra 4:12 (The Israel Bible™)

יְדִיעַ לֶהֱוֵא לְמַלְכָּא דִּי יְהוּדָיֵא דִּי סְלִקוּ מִן־לְוָתָךְ עֲלֶינָא אֲתוֹ לִירוּשְׁלֶם קִרְיְתָא מָרָדְתָּא ובאישתא וּבִישְׁתָּא בָּנַיִן וְשׁוּרַיָּא שַׁכְלִילוּ וְאֻשַּׁיָּא יַחִיטוּ
Hear the verse in Hebrew

y’-DEE-a le-he-VAY l’-mal-KA DEE y’-hu-da-YAY DEE s’-LEE-ku min l’-va-TAKH a-LE-na a-TO lee-ru-sh’-LEM kir-y’-TA ma-ra-d’-TA u-veesh-TA ba-NA-yin v’-shu-ra-YA shakh-LI-lu v’-u-sha-YA ya-KHEE-tu

Where Do Jews Come From?
The chosen people have many Biblical titles such as; Hebrews, children of Yaakov (Jacob), and Israelites. What is the origin of the branding ‘Jew’, in Hebrew Yehudi (יהודי)? The term is first employed as a specific ethnic title during the Babylonian exile, as can be seen in this verse and also in Daniel and Esther. Historically, this name indicated an association with the tribe of Yehuda (Judah), from which most of the Babylonian exiles descended. However, the name ultimately derives from the Hebrew root which means to ‘praise’ or ‘give thanks’. The name thus highlights the inherent Jewish value of gratitude to Hashem(God).

Let me just tell You about my Shabbat in Israel.

I had a problem with my watch, so I asked Hashem to make my Shabbat full.
Somehow I got to the Beit Knesset 2 minutes before the morning prayer.
Next I was given a watch by a Jew I barely know just to make it to a Torah lesson at 4.
I was given the virtue and respect by elder Jews who barely saw or know me, to raise to the Torah and bring it out of the Aron Hakodesh.

This is PEACE in full meaning.

Hashem is the most kind and great, and Am Israel Chai in His Torah.

Yaakov awoke from his sleep and said, “Surely Hashem is present
in this place, and I did not know it!”

Genesis 28:16 (The Israel Bible™)

וַיִּיקַץ יַעֲקֹב מִשְּׁנָתוֹ וַיֹּאמֶר אָכֵן יֵשׁ יְהוָה בַּמָּקוֹם הַזֶּה וְאָנֹכִי לֹא יָדָעְתִּי
Hear the verse in Hebrew

va-YEE-ketz ya-a-KOV mee-shna-TO va-YO-mer a-KHEN yesh a-do-NAI ba-ma-KOM
ha-ZEH ve-ano-KHEE lo ya-DA-tee

The House of the Lord
The above verse describes Yaakov's (Jacob) arrival in Beit El (Bethel). When Yaakov arrives in Beit El, the city near which his grandfather Avraham (Abraham) called to Hashem (God) for the first time in the Land of Israel (Genesis 12:8), he recognizes its unique spiritual character. From that moment on, Beit El appears throughout the Bible as a special location for prayer. The Hebrew name Beit El means “The House of the Lord,” and signifies its powerful purpose. A home protects a person from the elements, extreme temperatures and rain. Similarly, we are meant to view “The House of the Lord” as a safe haven, protecting us from danger and therefore an ideal location for coming close to Hashem.

Avraham planted a tamarisk at Be’er Sheva, and invoked there the name of Hashem, the Everlasting God
Genesis 21:33 (The Israel Bible™)

וַיִּטַּע אֶשֶׁל בִּבְאֵר שָׁבַע וַיִּקְרָא־שָׁם בְּשֵׁם יְהוָה אֵל עוֹלָם
Hear the verse in Hebrew

va-yi-TA E-shel biv-AYR SHA-va va-YIK-ra SHAM b’-SHAYM a-do-NAI AYL o-LAM

Uncover Hashem's Godliness
The Hebrew word used in this verse for everlasting olam (עולם), also means “world” or “universe”. The word olam is closely related to the word ne’elam (נעלם), meaning ‘hidden.’ The phrase “El Olam” (אל עולם), ‘Everlasting God,’ alludes to the fact that Hashem (God) is also king over that which is hidden from us. Hashem has specifically designed a world that is ruled by the laws of nature and hides His presence. It is up to man to see past His mask and reveal the Godliness that is hidden throughout the universe.

Hashem appeared to Avram and said, “I will assign this land to your offspring.” And he built a mizbayach there to Hashem who had appeared to him
Genesis 12:7 (The Israel Bible™)

וַיֵּרָא יְהוָה אֶל־אַבְרָם וַיֹּאמֶר לְזַרְעֲךָ אֶתֵּן אֶת־הָאָרֶץ הַזֹּאת וַיִּבֶן שָׁם מִזְבֵּחַ לַיהוָה הַנִּרְאֶה אֵלָיו
Hear the verse in Hebrew

va-yay-RA a-do-NAI el av-RAM va-YO-mer l’-ZAR-a-KHA e-TAYN et ha-A-retz ha-ZOT
va-YI-ven SHAM miz-BAY-akh la-do-NAI ha-nir-EH ay-LAV

Feel Hashem's Presence
The above verse is the first time that Hashem (God) revealed Himself to Avraham(Abraham). Even at the beginning of Genesis 2, Hashem commands Avraham to leave his land, yet the Bible does not say that Hashem appeared to Avraham. The Kli Yakar, a Biblical commentator who lived in Prague in the early seventeenth century, explains that Hashem does not reveal Himself prophetically outside the Land of Israel. The command given to Avraham at the start of this chapter was heard, but not seen. Only once Avrahamarrived in Israel did Hashem actually appear to him. Hashem’s presence is felt most intensely in Eretz Yisrael.

Forum List

Back