Your Favorite Things About Israel

Nobody knows who created the first falafels. There are different recipes all around Asia Minor.

Here is the Israeli version of the falafel.
A Mediterranean Fast Food

My Favorite Falafel
I've used that recipe, but for a lot less trouble, I now use Casbah Falafel mix and add a bit of garlic powder, parsley, and some ground red pepper. Almost as good for a lot less trouble.

Sixties Fan Awesome thread! Thanks. Let me see if I can remember everything:
Already mentioned renting and driving a car around, but well worth it. Especially in the Galilee, Golan heights, and down to the Dead Sea. Not recommended for Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, and especially Nazareth on a Friday afternoon!
Looking over the countryside from Mt. Bental.
Sitting on my balcony of a private room at the Aviv Hostel in Tiberius looking out over the Kinneret.
Hiking the hanging trail to the Banias waterfall.
Hiking down to the Meshushim pool (not for the out of shape like I am but I survived!)
The view from the top of Mt.Tabor.
The Roman ruins at Beit She'an.
Pretty much all of the Old City of Jerusalem.
The ramparts walk.
The Temple Mount (though I wish it was more open, I know political)
Sitting on my balcony at King George Suites and watching Jerusalem go by on King George St.
Sitting on my balcony at King George Suites and watching Jerusalem completely shut down on a Friday night.
The falafels and shwarma from the stand at King George and Agrippas.
The Mechane Yehuda. (The shuk)
Shakshuka from Manou Bashouk in the shuk.
The musicians on the Ben Yehuda mall at night.
Watching the fireworks from my aforementioned balcony on Independence day.
The whole country (most) coming to a stop around 11am on Independence day and every body getting out of their cars while the sirens are blowing, even in the Jordan Valley.
Renting a car and driving to Be'er Sheva to meet Lipush for lunch and the drive back to Jerusalem through the Judean hills (beautiful country!)
And everything else I left out!

Inside and outside the Cave of the Patriarchs

When I arrived in Israel for my junior year of college, which I was to spend in Bar-Ilan, I was eager to see the Tomb of the Patriarchs/Cave of Machpelah in Hebron. Later in the year, my school would take us to spend a Shabbat in Hebron, but I didn't know that would happen at the time. This was in 1982, before the first intifada, and I was 20 years old. Only a couple of weeks into the semester, a 6-week teachers' strike started. With no classes going on, I had nothing to do. So I went to the Tachanat Merkazit (central bus station), and I boarded a bus bound for Hebron. I asked the bus-driver to let me know when we would arrive there. He seemed a little concerned and let me know that the same bus would come back to the Tomb in 45 minutes and take passengers back to Tel-Aviv. The Tomb was much larger than I thought it would be, and since I had less than hour to explore it, I was somewhat bewildered standing there on the steps. Suddenly a light haired and skinned boy, who looked to be my age, appeared by me and offered to take me around. He showed me around all the different rooms, and explained their history to me. He wasn't wearing a yarmulka, which I thought was a little strange, because I couldn't imagine a secular Jew visiting this site. After the "unofficial" tour, we sat down to chat. It was then that I discovered he was an Arab, a Palestinian, who had lived in Hebron all his life. (That would explain why he was so knowledgeable about the Tomb.) At first I was a little afraid (despite the fact that I just spent 40 minutes with him), but I discovered my fears were unfounded. That little encounter smashed many stereotypes I had about Palestinians. Firstly, he had light hair and a light complexion and didn't look like your typical Arab/Semite. Yet he was. So much for monte's pictures of light-haired European or American Jews who couldn't possibly be Semites. Secondly, he knew perfect English, appeared to be well-dressed and educated, and he told me his brother was studying at Oxford University in England. He didn't fit the image of a destitute, poverty-stricken Palestinian. Thirdly, he didn't appear to hate Jews (because I was wearing a yarmulka), and he didn't seem the type to become a terrorist at all. I went back to Bar-Ilan a wiser man.

1 - Garden Tomb.

2 - Garden of Gethsemane.

3 - Temple Mount

4 - King David's Tomb

5 - Western Wall

6 - Rachel's Tomb

7 - Mazada

8 - Salton Sea

9 - Mount Of Beautitudes

10 - Jaffa

11 - swimming in the sea at Tel Aviv.

1. Nazis hated Israel
2. Muslims hate Israel
3. The left hates Israel.

Makes me want to move there

I could say that I'm not crazy about a lot of things dealing with Israeli politics, but I admire very much that they are not afraid to investigate and convict politicians for corruption.

I cannot thank this post. If this video is in fact taken at the Kotel on the Sabbath, the person doing so did so in huge disrespect for Israeli and Jewish wishes for NO pictures to be taken at the Kotel on Shabbat.

I wouldn't have posted it. IMHO you should have your post deleted.

Forum List

Back