Your Favorite Things About Israel

Tevet 23

tevet-23.jpg
Yahrtzeit of Nathan Straus (1848-1931), an American merchant and philanthropist. Straus was a co-owner of R.H. Macy & Co., yet he never amassed personal wealth because he was always using his money to help people. For example, in New York's winter of 1893, he gave away more than two million five-cent tickets good for coal, food and lodging. His greatest devotion, however, was to Israel. He gave more than two-thirds of his fortune and devoted the last 15 years of his life to this cause. The Israeli city of Netanya is named for "Nathan" Straus.

From Aish.com

The Land of the Covenant

FEATURED PHOTO: The aerial view of the Old City of Jerusalem (Shutterstock).

I also established My covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land in which they lived as sojourners
Exodus 6:4 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

v’-GAM ha-ki-MO-tee et b’-ree-TEE i-TAM la-TAYT la-HEM et E-retz k’-NA-an AYT E-retz m’-gu-ray-HEM a-sher GA-ru VAH

It is no wonder that the Book of Exodus has served throughout the ages as an inspiration for those who have longed for the Land of Israel. Wandering through the bitter exile, Jews have always seen themselves as following in the footsteps of the ancient Israelites. In the darkest moments of Jewish history, we have borne the burden of persecution with the knowledge that we are always getting closer to deliverance and redemption, and to Israel.

The Difference Between Inheritance And Heritage

FEATURED PHOTO: A beautiful sunrise over Masada, and the ruins of King Herod's palace (Shutterstock).
I will bring you into the land which I swore to give to Avraham, Yitzchak, and Yaakov, and I will give it to you for a possession, I Hashem
Exodus 6:8 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

v’-hay-vay-TEE et-KHEM el ha-A-retz a-SHER na-SA-tee et ya-DEE la-TAYT o-TAH l’-av-ra-HAM l’-yitz-KHAK ul-ya-a-KOV v’-na-ta-TEE o-TAH la-KHEM mo-ra-SHAH a-NEE a-do-NAI

Biblical Hebrew has two words relating to bequests: Morasha, and yerusha. Morasha, the Hebrew word for ‘possession’ in this verse, is generally translated as ‘heritage,’ while yerusha is translated as ‘inheritance.’ The use of different words suggests a difference in meaning. An inheritance is simply passed on from the previous generation, while a heritage requires the receiver’s active involvement and participation, like a family business which the founder’s children must work hard to maintain. An inheritance may be squandered; a heritage must be preserved intact for the next generation. This certainly explains why the verse uses the word morasha with regard to the Land of Israel. The land requires our active involvement to maintain and preserve it, and it is not ours to squander.

Overlooking the Jordan Valley
Photo Credit: Moria Izraeli

"I have set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and the earth."
Genesis 9:13

The Sweetest Land

Goats pasture in the lush mountains of the Judean desert (Shutterstock).

So, when Hashem has brought you into the land of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites, which He swore to your fathers to give you, a land flowing with milk and honey
Exodus 13:5 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrewhttps://israel365.acemlnb.com/lt.php?s=a4c61f9455954d6853e21dc458bb63bd&i=92A436A1A1507

v’-ha-YA ki y’-vee-ah-KHA el eh-RETZ ha-k’-na-a’-nee v’-ha-khi-TEE v’-ha-eh-mo-REE v’-ha-khee-VEE v’-ha-y’-vu-SEE a-SHER nish-BA la-a-vo-te-KHA la-TAYT lakh eh-RETZ za-VAT kha-LAV u-d’-VASH

The Land of Israel is described many times throughout the Bible as a land flowing with milk and honey. Some explain this expression quite literally: Milk flows from the goats, and honey comes from the dates and figs that Israel is known for. Others believe that the word “flowing” is used, to indicate exceptional fertility and abundance. On a metaphorical level, milk is a nutritional necessity whereas honey is a savory delicacy. God promises that the Land of Israel will provide not only the essential things needed to survive, but also sweet luxuries.

Who Is Like You, Hashem?

Israel365 was honored and humbled to plant a tree on Tu B'Shvat outside of the Cave
of the Patriarchs in Hebron a number of years ago.

Who is like You, Hashem, among the celestials; Who is like You, majestic in holiness, Awesome in splendor, working wonders!
Exodus 15:11 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrewhttps://israel365.acemlnb.com/lt.php?s=a4c61f9455954d6853e21dc458bb63bd&i=103A634A1A1683

mee kha-MO-khah ba-ay-LEEM a-do-NAI MEE ka-MO-khah ne-DAR ba-KO-desh no-RA t’-hi-LOT O-say FE-le

Each and every tree planted in Israel is a wonder! For decades, the Land of Israel lay desolate and abandoned as the Children of Israel were in exile. With the return of the Children of Israel to their Land, God fulfilled His divine promises and the land is once again flourishing. In fact, Israel is the only country in the world that ended the 20th century with more trees than it had in the year 1900. This is nothing short of wondrous. Next week is Tu B'Shvat, the celebration of the "new year for the trees" and a special time to reflect on the wonder of the restoration of the People of Israel in their land. It is customary to mark this day by planting tree saplings in God's land.

Forum List

Back