Your Favorite Things About Israel

Then my people shall dwell in peaceful homes, in secure dwellings, in untroubled places of rest
Isaiah 32:18 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

v’-ya-SHAV a-MEE bin-VAY sha-LOM uv-mish-k’-NOT miv-ta-KHEEM u-vim-nu-KHOT
sha-a-na-NOT

Hoping for Peace
The ultimate hope that Yeshayahu (Isaiah) holds for his people is that they can dwell calmly in the Land of Israel. His supplications are the prayers of all the prophets. For example, Hoshea writes, “In that day I will make a covenant for them with the beasts of the field; the birds of the air and the creeping things of the ground; I will also banish bow, sword and war from the land. Thus I will let them lie down in safety” (2:20). Rambam similarly concludes the Mishneh Torah, his monumental work summarizing Jewish law, with the declaration that the reason the Jewish people want the Mashiach (Messiah) to come is not because they want to rule over other nations, but rather out of desire to dwell in quiet and peace in their land so they can pursue righteousness. This remains the hope and dream of the Jewish people today: that the Mashiach will come quickly and bring peace to the entire world.

On Sunday Israeli naturalists counted 13,260 cranes who arrived in the north on the first pit stop of the season during their annual migration to the African continent for the winter, although some of them prefer to stay in Israel for the season.

The Cranes Have Arrived in Israel

I Hashem, in My grace, have summoned you, and I have grasped you by the hand. I created you, and appointed you a covenant people, a light of nations
Isaiah 42:6 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

a-NEE a-do-NAI k’-ra-TEE-kha v’-TZE-dek v’-akh-ZAYK b’-ya-DE-kha v’-e-tzor-KHA v’-e-ten-KHA liv-REET AM l’-OR go-YIM

A Light of Nations
This famous phrase captures the mission statement of the People of Israel. For most of Jewish history, the role of “light unto the nations” has been understood primarily as a private call to have a positive influence on the world by living an ethical life and setting a personal example of righteous behavior. However, Yeshayahu (Isaiah) is calling for so much more. The “light” in his stirring description is capable of opening the eyes of the blind and leading the imprisoned out of darkness. The establishment of the State of Israel and its role on the international stage calls for a transformation of the “light unto the nations” metaphor from a passive, individual candle, to a powerful blaze, firing up the nations and igniting the world with righteousness. The State of Israel represents the historic opportunity for the People of Israel to fulfill their religious destiny as a nation

Forum List

Back