Your Favorite Sci Fi / Space Movie

What's Your Favorite Sci Fi / Space Movie?

• Alien

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Interstellar

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Gravity

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Empire Strike Back

• The Martian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Independence Day

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • The 5th Element

• Something Else

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters
Something else.

Dune was by far the best sci-fi space movie of all time. The problem with it was that it attempted to portray a hundred pound novel in a couple of hours, and if you hadn't read the novel a lot of the story went over your head, which is why it was a bust at the box office. The story, the acting, the special effects (for the time when it was produced) were all first rate. Nothing else really comes close.
I hate to say it but I thought that the movie Dune was the single worst adaptation of a book ever. I agree that it was largely due to trying to condense the story into a single movie but it was horribly done. The acting was miserable and the whole movie was totally disjointed. For me the worst part was being the person that told all my friends what a phenomenal series of books Dune was and then had to suffer the backlash.

Interesting choices

Edit
  1. Alien
  2. Interstellar
  3. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  4. Gravity
  5. The Empire Strike Back
  6. The Martian
  7. Independence Day
  8. The 5th Element
  9. Something Else
But, I don't remember a movie called Something Else

Who starred in it, what year did it come out, who directed?
Something Else (2010) - IMDb

That's not science fiction.

True, but, it's the best I could do.... I should know better about watching my wording with you.....

I noted one post that mentioned "Plan 9 From outer space".
'Plan 9 From Outer Space'.

Wasn't supposed to be funny, but was hilarious in it's stupidity.

Ya see, ya see ! Your stupid minds ! Stupid ! Stupid!
I was so happy to see someone mention a phantastic bad sci-fi movie.I grew up in Cleveland where we had a steady diet of friday night goofball movie hosts that played nothing but the worst of sci-fi/horror. Ghoulardi, Houlihan and Big chuck, then Big Chuck and Little John, The Ghoul these shows were priceless.

The genre has been reawakened with a show on saturday nights called "The Midnight Movie" shown on an "access" type channel. They are not as committed to the sci-fi/horror genre as earlier shows but still play some great ones. Recently they showed "Manos: The Hand Of Fate", considered by many to be the worst movie ever made, and they have a very good argument (although personally I think "Ogre II" is serious competition}. The back story was great as the movie was the result of two guys making a bet that anyone could make a movie.

Those bad sci-fi flicks get in your blood, I own every Godzilla movie ever produced and could watch them constantly.

On the actual good movie list, one I don't think I saw mentioned was the sequel to "2001", "2010". It was a pretty good addition to the story although not as unusually outstanding as the original.

Here's an almost-good sci fi epic: Disney's 1979 The Black Hole. The ship's grandiose, dazzling production design of the ship and the beautiful black hole space-scapes really sold the movie. And that red-flashing giant robot Maximillian was the scariest machine I remember from my early childhood. It could have been great, but during the last 3rd of the movie the plot went way off the rails and fell apart. To this today even the moviemakers don't know what all that random into-the-black-hole imagery is supposed to mean. This would be a good movie to remake because it's an interesting, big-budget idea that didn't quite go the right way.

Forum List

Back