Your favorite moral lesson from the Bible

"Slow and steady wins the race"

I think that was from "The Tortoise and the Hare"

To be fair, he would have to read the Bible sometime to answer the question.
True! Which reminds me of other Aeso...I mean Bible morals:

• Honesty is the best policy.
  • Some begrudge others what they cannot enjoy themselves.
  • Appearances often are deceiving.
  • The smaller the mind the greater the conceit.
  • The greedy who want more lose all.
  • United we stand; divided we fall.
  • They who voluntarily put themselves under the power of a tyrant deserve whatever fate they receive.

And the one that fits my opinion of you:

• Familiarity breeds contempt.

:)

I am rather fond of the lesson one gets from the "Jesus drives the money changers out of the temple" gospels.

That was the only economics lesson Jesus taught us, wasn't it?

What was he telling us?

That those who seek to control a currency (that what the money changers were, after all) are INHERENTLY EVIL PEOPLE.

Think about it.

The ONLY people that Jesus took a whip to?

Were that society's BANKSTERS.

And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise.

He hated those guys even more than many of you cons hate tax collectors.

Doubt me? What did he say about taxation?

Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasars, and unto God what is my God's.

Last edited:
Lately I seem to be pulled back into Genesis and the stories of the earliest patriarchs of the Old Testament. The story that is most often used by advocates of government 'benevolence' is in the story of Cain and Abel based on this verse shortly after Cain murdered Abel:

Genesis 4:9 - Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he replied. "Am I my brother's keeper?"

In my opinion most people incorrectly interpret this to mean that the 'evil' Cain was shrugging off any responsibility for Abel with the moral lesson that we are obligated to care about and care for others.

I believe that is not what he was saying at all.

The moral lesson to be had here is that in Old Testament language, the word for 'keeper' in the ancient Hebrew implied ownership and responsibility for good stewardship. In this case it would apply to the sheep and goats in their father's flocks. To imply that Cain was the 'keeper' of Abel would imply that Abel was a slave or subserviant to Cain. Cain was actually saying that Abel was his own man, fully capable of being responsible for himself.

The moral lesson is when we see ourselves as the 'keeper' we are subjugating people to second class, inferior, incapable, or victim status and that is wrong.

Too often government does exactly that.
i disagree....mainly because of what you think ''keeper'' means....

I know you do, but I believe I am using the correct translation from the ancient Hebrew.

Genocide no, genocide is when you kill everyone in a town, men, women, children, babies, etc. Kinda like the story in your Bible, or when Hitler did it, or in Rwanda. If you believe the story in the Bible, all these situations are similar.

Using the excuse "God knew what were in all the kids and babies hearts so he murdered them all" is pretty revolting.

It don't matter really what you think.

Joh 6:40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes on Him should have everlasting life. And I will raise him up at the last day.

1Jn 5:1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God. And everyone who loves Him who begets also loves him who has been born of Him.

Not good for those who deny him.

Mat 10:33 But whoever shall deny Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father in Heaven.

You asked me a question, I answer it, and you tell me it doesn't matter what I think?

I can tell you must be the king of manners in the real world.

Sorry that was a little rough,but really no matter what you or I think God is gonna do what he says. The prophets gave warning and the warning came true. You're being warned on a daily basis of future events and your side rejects it.

That is kinda like what happened when ecomomists were warning of the coming financial problem did anyone listen no and we are going into another recession as we speak.

If you look at history the bible is filled of these circumstances time and time again history keeps repeating itself.

I am rather fond of the lesson one gets from the "Jesus drives the money changers out of the temple" gospels.

What was he telling us?

That those who seek to control a currency (that what the money changers were, after all) are INHERENTLY EVIL PEOPLE.

Think about it.

And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise.

Wrong,he drove them out of the temple because of the lack of respect for his Father's house.

Yes,we are to give unto caesar what is caesars but he did not specify an amount. And he didn't expect us to give so much we can't pay our own bills.

It don't matter really what you think.

Joh 6:40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes on Him should have everlasting life. And I will raise him up at the last day.

1Jn 5:1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God. And everyone who loves Him who begets also loves him who has been born of Him.

Not good for those who deny him.

Mat 10:33 But whoever shall deny Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father in Heaven.

You asked me a question, I answer it, and you tell me it doesn't matter what I think?

I can tell you must be the king of manners in the real world.

Sorry that was a little rough,but really no matter what you or I think God is gonna do what he says. The prophets gave warning and the warning came true. You're being warned on a daily basis of future events and your side rejects it.

That is kinda like what happened when ecomomists were warning of the coming financial problem did anyone listen no and we are going into another recession as we speak.

If you look at history the bible is filled of these circumstances time and time again history keeps repeating itself.

Thanks for the apology, no problem.

What was he telling us?

Think about it.

Wrong,he drove them out of the temple because of the lack of respect for his Father's house.

Yes,we are to give unto caesar what is caesars but he did not specify an amount. And he didn't expect us to give so much we can't pay our own bills.
I think you may be wrong on that one YWCreated....

the lack of respect for his father's house involved capitalism, so to say...corrupt capitalism, not just any ole capitalism....the money changers were making money off of the parishioners....they had to pay alms or buy doves or lambs or insence to donate as a sacrafice and the temple leaders were requiring these parishioners to buy these things with a certain kind of money...forcing all of them to exchange their money for this other money while these money changers kept a huge profit in the exchange, they kept some money for themselves, but the remainder of the usery money was given to the Temple leader rabbi's or whatever they were called, saducees or levites...don't remember now....this is what defiled His Father's house.....and what He was so upset about....from what I was taught....usery was against Scripture, against the Law....the set up they had at the Temple was getting around that...

edit addition:

and Ywc, when Jesus told them to give unto Caesar what is his....the Pharisees that were complaining were being over taxed by the romans and taxed by their religious leaders as well.... they were bitchin' and moaning about this to Jesus....trying to get him to support their cause of going to war or fighting against the Romans due to them being oppressed with these taxes....

Jesus put an END to that support for warring and battle by responding in the manner that he did....

so, Jesus KNEW they were being over taxed and oppressed but He STILL told them to give unto caesar what is his....

I have different favorites, depending upon the seasons of my life. Most recently this one is very helpful. Just helps me keep things in perspective. I'm a sinner and I need the Lord forever; His love, His grace, guidance, patience, wisdom... to learn from Him to be more like Him and love others as He loves us.

Luke 18:10-16

10Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

11The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

12I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

13And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Forum List

Back