Your favorite microbrew find

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
We were just in Maine, and happened upon a beer called SOB (Special Old Bitter Ale). Loved it! It is brewed and bottled at the Atlantic Brewing Company in Bar harbor, Maine. It's definitely my new fave. It does have a good bite to it, which I love in a beer.

http://www.atlanticbrewing.com/

So what's your favorite beer find?

:beer:

Abbey Normal said:
We were just in Maine, and happened upon a beer called SOB (Special Old Bitter Ale). Loved it! It is brewed and bottled at the Atlantic Brewing Company in Bar harbor, Maine. It's definitely my new fave. It does have a good bite to it, which I love in a beer.

http://www.atlanticbrewing.com/

So what's your favorite beer find?

:beer:

Same state...The Shipyard Brewing Co. makes an Old Thumper Ale...had a slight hint of apple in it...was really good

Rogue Brewery out of Oregon. "Old Crustacean". It's powerful and tasty. And then of course the grandfather of American microbrews, Anchor Steam out of San Francisco. We have plenty of great beer here in Wisconsin (naturally). The best are Sprecher's, who make numerous beers, and Leinenkugel. That one may not be a pure microbrew anymore because it has been bought out by Miller.

pegwinn said:
I'm not big either, I barely top out at 200 lbs. I don't have a favorite brand, but my all time favorite beer garden is just a few hours south of me. They do thier own local brews at 500 gal a pop. Consistently awesome.

http://www.yourbrewery.com/brewing.htm

When my MrBeer grows up, it'll look like the website :beer:

Oh I love those copper dohickies! Same as Goose Island, which is also a great-simple but great, restaurant! :beer:

My father, his best friend, and I used to be serious home brewers. About 500 gallons per month. We have some recipes that were freaking awesome. Unfortunately Dad died, his friend has health problems, and it simply isn't a going concern anymore. All of the equipment was sold by Dad's friend late last year.

Abita Amber made in Abita Louisiana is pretty good. Probably one of the better Amber beers I've tasted. There is some myth that if you come to Louisiana you have to try Dixie beer but it is just terrible when compared with the Abita products.

Almost anywhere you go in this great country you'll find some outstanding local beers. If you're in the Kansas City area, try a bottle of any of the Boulevard Brewing "Smoke Stack Series" beers. They come in 750ml (wine size) bottles, and they're all outstanding. My personal favorite is the "Double-Wide IPA", which is an American Double IPA style of beer. They're about $8 a bottle retail, and worth every penny.

Abita Amber made in Abita Louisiana is pretty good. Probably one of the better Amber beers I've tasted. There is some myth that if you come to Louisiana you have to try Dixie beer but it is just terrible when compared with the Abita products.

I have a 6-pack of Abita Pecan in my fridge right now. Delish.

I'm not big either, I barely top out at 200 lbs. I don't have a favorite brand, but my all time favorite beer garden is just a few hours south of me. They do thier own local brews at 500 gal a pop. Consistently awesome.

Fredericksburg Brewing Company

When my MrBeer grows up, it'll look like the website :beer:

Well since someone decided to revive this old thread, thought I'd update the link:

Goose Island

Goose Island

The Christmas Beer was very good.

Iron City Beer is more of a regional brew, or at least it was, I'm not sure if it is still available in the PA area. Best commercial beer in the states, bar none.

For micro-brews, Electric Beer at the Olde Time Saloon, Bisbee Arizona. Drank it every weekend when I was stationed out there.

Last edited:
I've still got a lot of experimentation to do, but so far, I am really liking Sierra Nevada, from Chico, California.

I'm mostly a pilsner drinker.

Few micros seem to make pilsners because (I presume) the cost of making pilsners is too high to make sense for a micro.

Anyone have any suggestions about a micro-brewed pilsner?

Brooklyn Brewery is excellent, they make an excellent Lagar. As is Bluepoint. Honestly, I think all of us should support these microbreweries in any way we can instead of buying Bud and Coors watered down bullshit.

Brooklyn Brewery is excellent, they make an excellent Lagar. As is Bluepoint. Honestly, I think all of us should support these microbreweries in any way we can instead of buying Bud and Coors watered down bullshit.

I got three words for ya "Pabst...Blue...Ribbon"

Great American Beer.

Charlie Papazian, president of the Brewers Association and one of the most prominent names in the world of beer and brewing, published the following tasting notes for Pabst Blue Ribbon in 2008: "A contrasting counterpoint of sharp texture and flowing sweetness is evident at the first sip of this historic brew. A slowly increasing hoppiness adds to the interplay of ingredients, while the texture smooths out by mid-bottle. The clear, pale-gold body is light and fizzy. Medium-bodied Blue Ribbon finishes with a dusting of malts and hops. A satisfying American classic and a Gold Medal winner at the 2006 Great American Beer Festival."

Forum List

Back