Your Constitution.

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by BONDI BOY, Apr 5, 2004.

1. BONDI BOY

BONDI BOY Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    One of the great rights of the U.S. constitution is your freedom of speach clause. So if the main purpose of the ocupation is to bring about a free and democratic society in Iraq then why has the U.S. banned the al-Hawza newspaper, isnt this aplying double standards and setting a bad example of democracy for the people of Iraq.

2. kcmcdonald

kcmcdonald Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    because this paper is killing american and killing those who would cooperate with the americans. Freedom of speach is a right given to those who can use it. The US would shut down a newspaper in a secound if it advocated killing the Bush Admin. Freedom of speach does not permit all speach.

3. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I can't remember who made this quote, but I'm going to use it anyway.

"Freedom is the right to be wrong, not to do wrong."

Any constitutional freedom can be revoked as long as it is done through due process of law.

4. AtlantaWalter

AtlantaWalter Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    We'll give them freedom of speech like we gave it to postwar Germany.You can say whatever you want as long as it agrees with what we say the history books should say, regardless of the truth. I think the following article demonstrates the democratic freedom of speech Germans enjoy:

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v18/v18n4p-2_Toben.html

German Court Sentences Australian Holocaust Skeptic [Fredrick Töben]
    Dr. Töben Free After Seven Months In Custody
    Dr. Fredrick Töben, an Australian scholar and educator, is free after seven months in German prison for having disputed Holocaust extermination allegations. He was taken into custody in Mannheim on April 8, 1999, and detained, without bail, until his trial in November. Töben, 55, is a leading Holocaust revisionist writer and publicist in Australia, where he founded and (until his arrest) directed the Adelaide Institute, an important revisionist research and publishing center.

At the conclusion of the three-day trial on November 10, 1999, a Mannheim district court found Töben guilty on charges of incitement to racial hatred, insulting the memory of the dead, and public denial of genocide, because he had disputed Holocaust extermination claims in writings sent to persons in Germany. Presiding Judge Klaus Kern said that there is no doubt that Töben is guilty of "denying the Holocaust," and that because there is no sign that he would relent his views and activities, a prison sentence was required. The court then sentenced him to ten months imprisonment.

Merely voicing one's opinion against the Holohoax is reason for incarceration in Germany!!! Are they so afraid that the truth may come out that they have to make it against the law to have open debate? Good damned thing we gave them democracy; I hope we do better with the Iraqis.

5. BONDI BOY

BONDI BOY Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Oh realy. The K.K.K. have also killed many Americans, yet they are still able to exercise there constitutional rights. They continue to spurt out ignorant and harmfull propaganda.
    Or is there rubish o.k.

6. BONDI BOY

BONDI BOY Guest

Ratings:
    +0

I hope your not suggesting due process be used to remove your right to freedom of speach.

7. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    You're right BondiBoy ,
    The coalition shouldn't have shutdown the paper . Instead I would have rather seen an accidental explosion that would have accidentally flattened the building , and make it look like Osama did it . That would have been much better .

8. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Bondi, let’s clear up some misunderstandings you have about the nature of the US Constitution.

“We the People” applies to those under US legal jurisdiction only. The founders were very much aware of the realities of foreign policy, and by no means had written into law that hostile foreign powers should be granted the same rights guaranteed to a US citizen living in our borders.

The USA does not recognize a 1st Amendment right to Iraqi supporters of Al-Sadr’s militia to assemble, or publish to incite, nor carry arms per the second amendment and shoot dead nine US citizen soldiers.

Not even the ACLU can support this, being the American Civil Liberties Union.

You have watched far too many American movies or seem to think that regulating hate speech is a wise policy for government. In any case I’m happy to say any fool can still make a fool of himself, here in America.

And what is it with the K.K.K. and foreign perceptions? Does the K.K.K. even have a website link these days?

9. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Now please tell me how OUR constitution applies to Iraq during a time of war. :rolleyes:

10. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,204
    Due process has always been used to remove violent speech. Contrary to your opinion, the KKK does not have the right to say whatever they want. The courts have stated that some of their actions are not protected by the first ammendment.