Your Congressman Takes Bribes

“We have a clear agenda in this regard: [DISCLOSE], reform the system reducing the [role] of money in campaigns, and amend the Constitution to rid it of this ability for special interests to use secret, unlimited, huge amounts of money flowing to campaigns,” Pelosi said at her Thursday press briefing.
“I think one of the presenters [at a Democratic forum on amending the Constitution] yesterday said that the Supreme Court had unleashed a predator that was oozing slime into the political system, and that, indeed, is not an exaggeration,” said Pelosi. “Our Founders had an idea. It was called democracy. It said elections are determined by the people, the voice and the vote of the people, not by the bankrolls of the privileged few. This Supreme Court decision flies in the face of our Founders’ vision and we want to reverse it.”

Pelosi: We have a clear agenda to amend the First Amendment « Hot Air

I fully support her sentiments and would expand on them by saying "WE should be paying". It's not a right-left thing, but a method to rein in corruption and overspending. I really don't see where the concern over illegality is found in her comments.

There is a solution. Look at Switzerland's government. It is a direct democracy. There are a lot of things that would cut out a bunch of Congressional bullshit. The people have the authority to overturn anything that is not in the interests of the people and the country. Here is one thing I think would help. Every party gets a shot at governing, so no one is left out. They say it is a thrifty government that has far less corruption and most of the bills passed, benefit everyone. I am not totally schooled but I think several countries have this type of government, including parts of Germany, if I am not mistaken.

How do they fund their elections? Because Wall St. gives money to both parties, the excesses exposed in 2008 haven't been fixed. A bank failing in Europe could lead to a bank failing here and then another and we're right back in the predicament we were in four years ago.

SUPPORT PUBLIC FINANCING OF ELECTIONS AND GET THE BUYING AND SELLING OF OUR REPRESENTITIVES' VOTES OUT OF THE SYSYTEM.

Would you walk away from $500,000 a year to work to make America a better place? Jimmy Williams did.

Williams, now the Executive Directory of Get Money Out, is the lobbyist-turned-activist whose conscience drove him to partner up with MSNBC's Dylan Ratigan in an attempt to save America from itself.

Source: Your Congressman Takes Bribes | Benzinga

stfu please. not every congressman is corrupt.

did you forget, suicide is a viable option?

Would you walk away from $500,000 a year to work to make America a better place? Jimmy Williams did.

Williams, now the Executive Directory of Get Money Out, is the lobbyist-turned-activist whose conscience drove him to partner up with MSNBC's Dylan Ratigan in an attempt to save America from itself.

Not everyone is a thief, but we stll have protections against those who are. Being a Congressman is a privilege. As our employees, they need to bend to our will or find another job.

Not everyone is a thief, but we stll have protections against those who are. Being a Congressman is a privilege. As our employees, they need to bend to our will or find another job.

We elect Representatives and Senators to represent us. We do NOT hire them to work for us.

reality check

People like you live in a childish make believe world.

We elect Representatives and Senators to represent us. We do NOT hire them to work for us.

reality check

If they're not working for us, who are they working for? Isn't that the problem? They're working for whomever is the biggest bundler of campaign funds. Thanks for your comment, but "let's enable them" is hardly a solution. :cuckoo:

reality check

If they're not working for us, who are they working for? Isn't that the problem? They're working for whomever is the biggest bundler of campaign funds. Thanks for your comment, but "let's enable them" is hardly a solution. :cuckoo:

The childish notion that a representative works for you is just that, childish. It's a populist myth. We elect representatives. If you want to advocate rule by ballot initiative and plebiscite, go ahead.
whack yourself silly

reality check

The childish notion that a representative works for you is just that, childish. It's a populist myth. We elect representatives. If you want to advocate rule by ballot initiative and plebiscite, go ahead.
whack yourself silly

We pay them; how can they not be working for us? That doesn't make sense at all. Ballot initiative? Plebiscite? Do you read the threads at all or just shoot from the hip? Public financing of elections, that's the ticket! :clap2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTpd9Nf-uSo]Support the Fair Elections Now Act: Fix Congress to Restore Trust in Our Democracy - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjgLv_wKTBM]Change Congress co-founder Larry Lessig makes small-government case for public financing - YouTube[/ame]

He knows what he's talking about.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--4KnX75qqI]Jack Abramoff on Legalized Bribery in Congress - YouTube[/ame]

Getting a lot of SPIN from the Reps today. On the one hand, money is speech. On the other hand the 7-1 advantage held by the Reps in WI did not effect the voters' reasons for their choice. Then why all the flack over limiting money?

As long as our current system is allowed to existg nothing will change. Congressmen and women make a lot of money at their job. Their families are employed by the gov't, contractors and lobbist. Trips are paid for, laws are passed that they don't have to obey and the beat goes on. My biggest gripe is that my SS money that was suppossed to be in a trust fund was stolen by congress for their on end and I am left with the dregs.

As long as our current system is allowed to existg nothing will change. Congressmen and women make a lot of money at their job. Their families are employed by the gov't, contractors and lobbist. Trips are paid for, laws are passed that they don't have to obey and the beat goes on. My biggest gripe is that my SS money that was suppossed to be in a trust fund was stolen by congress for their on end and I am left with the dregs.

They don't care about you, because you're not the one paying the bills.

Forum List

Back