Your 4 Greatest Rock Guitarists of All Time

well that is just your opinion.....Hammett places higher on every "BEST" guitar player poll i have ever seen.....as a matter of fact,many times, so does Megadeth's REAL lead guitarist...Marty Friedman.....just sayin....

So does Hendrix... means nothing.. Hendrix was different... not as technically proficient as his fans would lead you to believe.. not as compositional, as most of it is drug induced mindless shit.. the guy had some memorable work... but not the all around guitar god most put him out to be

I'd put Ace Frehley, Dimebag Darrell, and KK Downing above Hammet.. and those are in no way guitar gods

You're lucky I rep'd you for the Mustaine post or I'd be neg repping your ass for this Hendrix dis.

Every good riff Jimmy Page ever played is a Hendrix rip-off.

Hell.. I would have a hard time even putting Hendrix top 5 in his era.. let alone in all of rock-dom... plenty of other people (mostly under-rated in their time) that were much better than Hendrix... but Hendrix has an aura from the culture, people embracing weirdness and the LSD style, and the affinity because he died young (much like when people over-rate Kennedy).... was he memorable and different and a skillful guitarist? Yep.. Was he the most technical? No.. Was he the most compositional? No.. Was he the fastest? No.. Was he the most complex in structure and melody? No... But he gets credit for being those things somehow...

Hendrix is to guitar as Jabberwocky was to poetry... embraced for being good and different, but overly so

Every good riff Jimmy Page ever played is a Hendrix rip-off.

not every one......he also ripped off Willie Dixon.....and failed in court once.....the descending guitar riff in the beginning of stairway to heaven was lifted from a Spirit song,with permission i heard,Randy California was a guitarist Page liked.....all this does not say much for page though....

Steve Vai
Jimmy Page
Eddie Van Halen
Alex Lifeson

+

Ted Nugent
Kirk Hammett
Carlos Santana
Kerry King
Randy Rhoads

Hammet could not hold Mustaine's guitar case

I like Megadeth and Dave Mustaine, but imo, Hammett pwns Mustaine.

Also, I knew I would forget somebody, and can't believe I didn't put David Gilmour in my post. :redface:

there is also the man known as "the greatest guitarist you've never heard of....Roy Buchanan".....

Also, I knew I would forget somebody, and can't believe I didn't put David Gilmour in my post. :redface:

there is also the man known as "the greatest guitarist you've never heard of....Roy Buchanan".....

You are so right Harry. A must have would be his, Sweet Dreams : The Anthology.

I have never heard of him, and I checked out a you tube vid of that song. Not bad at all. I will have to hear more before making any further conclusions. :cool:

lotta good players out there. the thing is one has to juxtapose the player/era with the evolution of the instrument itself

for instance, certain techniques like hammerons were virtually unheard of back when because few , if any, axes were set up tight enough to accomodate them

floyd rose locking systems were nonexistent for those neat dive bombs heard now

i was also fond of the slide playing of Rod Price of Foghat.......

Buck Dharma sounded good too......

and cant forget Phil Keaggy,and i am referring to his stint with the Glass Harp,back around 70-72.....not his christian rock stuff.....that guy had some impressive solos

and frigging BUCKETHEAD is a DAM good player

i was also fond of the slide playing of Rod Price of Foghat.......

Buck Dharma sounded good too......

and cant forget Phil Keaggy,and i am referring to his stint with the Glass Harp,back around 70-72.....not his christian rock stuff.....that guy had some impressive solos

and frigging BUCKETHEAD is a DAM good player
:clap2:

Yessir. I saw Buckethead play with Primus at Ozzfest a while back. Very good player indeed....

No love for Esteban ? :lol:

I do have one of his guitars!

How about a Les Paul ?

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pb5_DEhmDAM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pb5_DEhmDAM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Oh that was awesome! Someone should dig up some Brad Paisley, he's really good too.

lotta good players out there. the thing is one has to juxtapose the player/era with the evolution of the instrument itself

for instance, certain techniques like hammerons were virtually unheard of back when because few , if any, axes were set up tight enough to accomodate them

floyd rose locking systems were nonexistent for those neat dive bombs heard now

good point Sparky......this is why i hate "who is the best" shit....if your going to do it,it should be done by decade.....50's....60's...etc

Forum List

Back