You want to fix schools?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Quantum Windbag, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Asclepias

Asclepias Work Hard Play Hard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,072
    Incorporate human behavior, wealth building, leadership and interpersonal skills in every grade starting with preschool. Create and environment of expectancy.

1rst step.
    Educate parents as to what the curriculum entails and why. Map out their expected contribution. To ensure attendance enforce a overnight stay at the local jail if they miss the meeting.

Teach children how to think and not recite from memory
    Teach each ethnicity/race/culture about their true history
    Encourage being well rounded and not a super geek or jock.
    Pay teachers 6 figures starting off by making that the most important federal/state/county/city budgetary item.
    Can any teachers that don't meet metrics. (No unions if necessary)
    Encourage the adoption of any newly discovered teaching methods that are duplicatable and work ASAP.

2. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,877
    Before I left Cali.. I watch the local school district make some amazingly stupid moves. They replaced all the carpets in our kids school -------------

BEFORE they fixed the leaks in the roof.. Yup... Needed new carpets again before the roof got fixed.. Sad part is, as we all know, the same idiots are now promoted. And THAT'S why there's not enough money in the world to fix "the system"..

The observation that there is SUPPOSED to be local control, fails because it's a monopoly proposition. There is no incentive to please the stakeholders or to be efficient. And the stakeholders only get involved when their personal ox gets gored.

That's why Waiting for Superman brought me to tears.. Yup actual tears.

Money and responsibility is too fragmented and sequestered. There needs to be flexibility in how the various mountains of individual allocations get spent. AND there needs to be innovation, competition, and accountability.

Two other "beefs" of mine..

1) If the Fed govt WAS to be involved. The most important role it could play is "ANALYZING the PROBLEMS".. They should be the yardstick to measure comparative performance. If the sentiment is AGAINST standardized testing (shouldn't be) --- then the Fed role ought to be terminated for cause. Close the entire Dept of Ed..

IF YOURE NOT ALLOWED TO MEASURE THE PROBLEM -- GET OUT OF TOWN...

2) Purposeful lowering of expectations is evil.. I don't care what group of kids the school gets "stuck with".. When PARENTS encourage performance and success, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.. There is no reason in hell for professional educators to lower the bar because of percieved inability of their charges to succeed.. Yet the message is there in poorly performing schools that not much is expected. BECAUSE the kids are smarter than acknowledged and KNOW they will be offered less than others.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  3. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,418
    that would require the removal of unions and over site, to ensure the teacher isn't teaching how she wants the kids to learn

that's good

how do the teachers get paid, how are supplies bought and how are the lights kept on?

4. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,418
    There's a lot that can be done, but I'll list a few of my desires

test kids to see how they learn, and separate them

remove the useless bureaucrats that got hired when the school got more money and pass a law limiting the number of them

remove useless classes and put those teachers into more important ones, making class size smaller

11 months of school, with 8 hour days. morning break, lunch, afternoon break

Later starts for HS kids. this has been shown to increase gpa since they can stay awake

real after school help and a hotline. I can do algebra, but I can't help with grammar anymore

allow teachers to be fired and black balled

5. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,832
    Crazy as a loon Glenn Beck said grandparents should be teaching their g'kids at home.

A very basic problem with homeschooling is that, across the board, almost to a person, the "teachers" are not qualified to do anything more than what we see on this board - rants based on whatever their particular political bias already is.

Home schooling will never turn out educated people because of that simple fact.

Instead of moving backward, regressing, we should be moving forward, progressing.

6. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,226
    Would you like to tell Sandra Day O'Connor that she doesn't have a good education? While you are at it you can tell Einstein, Farady, and Pascal how stupid they are.

7. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,877
    Homeschooling HAS been turning out highly qualified students.. There are risks involved, but the outcomes can be much better than ignoring academic prowess in a crowded class environment where the teacher is COMPLETELY constrained as to the curriculum and the expectations..

With the ability to link in to QUALITY educational material on the web, it gets EASIER to provide better outcomes..

There was a time when upwards of 50% of Alaskan schoolkids were "homeschooled".. The board of Ed would literally airdrop in a box of materials at the beginning of the year and testing showed very respectable results.. TODAY --- there is no limit to the quality outcome that could be accomplished with a broadband connection..

8. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,218
    The title of the tread "You want to fix schools" is a little misleading.

One individual (you) has little impact of a public system: Even a LOCAL System.

And even if a majority coalition can somehow be forged, it will not be easy to affect change.

However, the system CAN BE CHANGED. "Waiting for Superman, is may be ONE data point, but there are very clear reasons why the main character could not effect local change: 1. He did not follow the system's rules; 2. He did not form a "community of concern."

If, as you mentioned, the stakeholders only get involved when their personal ox gets gored, then the system can chew them up and spit them out. Im' not saying it is EASY to play the game the system has created to launch complaints: In fact, I know from personal experience, it is very damn difficult. I can also tell you as a public school administrator, I appreciate WHY it is difficult for every mouth-breathing yahoo with a kid in school to change the system based on their singular (and often petty) complaint.

9. TemplarKormac

TemplarKormac Classical Liberal Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,433
    You want to fix schools? Encourage diversity, both cultural and religious. Encourage competition among the students. End teachers unions, keep their focus on the children instead of their pocketbooks. Don't reward a child for failure but encourage him to try harder. Plenty of things you can do.

Get rid of corporations dictating the curriculum...

10. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,218
    :lol:

Yeah; the only "qualified" teachers are certified by the state.

And all Licensed drivers are good drivers.

Idiots give the word "progressive" a bad name.