You still need a draft to win a major war

[...]

Today's military isn't like it was in WWII, or even Vietnam. We don't give a guy a rifle and send his ass into combat anymore.[...]
Then somebody needs to tell those thousands of grunts in the mountains of Afghanistan they don't belong there. And we need to sell all those M-16s.

Any more wisdom to spread?

You need to understand that sufficient infantry is necessary to preclude the use of nuclear weapons, which could commence the end of the world.

I think you misinterpreted, Mike. After the Squids shell it, and the Zoomies bomb it, and the armor rolls over what's left, the grunts still have to go in and run up the flag. Only now, with the high-tech battlespace, we need a better-educated, smarter, more technically trained grunt to operate all the stuff we use as force multipliers.The old days of massed infantry, artillery, and armor are to all intents, over, unless one wants to pile up casualties; these are simply too vulnerable on the modern battlefield, as Desert Storm demonstrated.

We should have a draft now. Republican leaders will send our youngsters anywhere without a second thought as long as their kids don't have to go.

Republican leaders? So you're going to force the kids of repub pols to serve, but not the Dems? Let's see, who got us into WWI? Wilson, a dem. Who got us into WWII? FDR, a dem. Korea? Truman, a dem. Vietnam? Kennedy/LBJ, both dems. Bosnia? Clinton, a dem. Plenty of dem support for Iraq I and Iraq II, true? And for Afghanistan too.

And what's a draft got to do with getting into a major war? Never slowed us down before, and that was when the Dems were in charge. You served, right? Were you in back when we had the draft? Do you remember the trouble it caused, both within the services and in the public? Obviously not.

I know what you're thinking, you want to cut the end strength numbers down even further and justify it by saying we can always draft a buncha guys at some point if we have to fight a big war. Or you think we would decide not to get into a war in the first place cuz we ain't ready anymore to fight one. How fast do you think this world would descend into chaos if the USA wasn't a credible military force that you have to deal with if you screw with us or our friends?

Today's military isn't like it was in WWII, or even Vietnam. We don't give a guy a rifle and send his ass into combat anymore. It takes time to train people to operate our weapon systems, time to train them to work together, time to mold them into a team. And most of 'em will do their 3 years or whatever and book. So you're continually training people that didn't volunteer and don't want to be there. That's incredibly stupid, and acutally not cost effective at all. And the worst part is you'd have a lot more of 'em coming back in body bags if they had to go to war.

WWII was a necessary war fool.

Iraq wasn't.

The Democratic Party wasn't always liberal and the Republican Party wasn't always conservative.

Go back to school and learn something worthwhile. You should be ashamed.

Uh huh. Now, was LBJ a liberal or a conservative? I think we all know the answer to that one. Bush lied? Well, tell me, what was it LBJ told the American people about the Tonkin Gulf incident-You remember, the one where two American destroyers spent the night firing at each other, while the supposed "enemy targets" were, in fact, non-existent? That wasn't the story LBJ told, (even after being informed that the original reports were incorrect), now was it? Only republicans lie to get us into war? Really? Another lie; you want to compound it some more, as long as you are at it? Sorry pal, but YOUR party owns Johnson and McNamara, and I am not going to let you forget that, or sweep their lies under the rug.

Democrats have a better idea. Use NATO bombing to murder civilians and that way the president can deny liability and get around the pesky Constitutional constraints. Clinton used NATO to kill Yugoslavians without consulting Congress and Barry used NATO to kill Egyptians and Libyans in his campaign to support the muslem brotherhood.

When did NATO Kill any Egyptians you stupid fuck?:cuckoo:

OK bong brain, NATO "only" killed Yugoslavians and Libyan civilians. Feel better?

Democrats have a better idea. Use NATO bombing to murder civilians and that way the president can deny liability and get around the pesky Constitutional constraints. Clinton used NATO to kill Yugoslavians without consulting Congress and Barry used NATO to kill Egyptians and Libyans in his campaign to support the muslem brotherhood.

When did NATO Kill any Egyptians you stupid fuck?:cuckoo:

OK bong brain, NATO "only" killed Yugoslavians and Libyan civilians. Feel better?

You are a fucking idiot. There I feel better.

Forum List

Back