You really are a small businessman if...

A lot of real small businessmen (owners/operators of businesses with less than $50 million of gross annual revenue; usually MUCH less) post on the board. Some others make comments that make me wonder. So in the spirit of tongue-in-cheek, I start a list of things a small businessman would have experienced. Please feel free to comment and add to the list. Enjoy!

You really are a small businessman if

1. You have been turned down for a bank loan. At least seven times.
2. You have financed payroll with an American Express card.
3. You have overpaid your taxes by inflating your net income so that your tax return will show enough to qualify you for a business loan.
4. You are hounded to join the BBB.
5. 70% of your mail is a request for donations.
6. 20% of your mail is past due notices.
7. 9% of your mail is advertising for fly-by-night business schemes.
8. 1% of your mail is a check which has been lost in the post office for six weeks.
9. You realize that balance sheets don't.
10. Your dog growls at you when you return home at 1:00 A.M.

Any others?
None apply here.

A lot of real small businessmen (owners/operators of businesses with less than $50 million of gross annual revenue; usually MUCH less) post on the board. Some others make comments that make me wonder. So in the spirit of tongue-in-cheek, I start a list of things a small businessman would have experienced. Please feel free to comment and add to the list. Enjoy!

3. You have overpaid your taxes by inflating your net income so that your tax return will show enough to qualify you for a business loan.
8. 1% of your mail is a check which has been lost in the post office for six weeks.

Any others?
11. Your employees assume you're rich
12. Your employees have no idea, not even the first clue, what it took just to be able to hire that FIRST employee
13. You've busted your ass and risked everything multiple times to get where you are
14. You're willing to continue to bust your ass and risk everything
15. People think you just opened the doors one day and the cash started pouring in
16. People think you make your living by taking advantage of others
17. People who have no clue how to run a business want to tell you how to run yours
18. Your President, with a big smile on his face, tells you "you didn't build that, someone ELSE made that happen"

Your president didn't say that tomboy, dummy.
Mack doesn't realize that his constant lying about that makes everything he says suspect.

Any others?
12. Your employees have no idea, not even the first clue, what it took just to be able to hire that FIRST employee
13. You've busted your ass and risked everything multiple times to get where you are
15. People think you just opened the doors one day and the cash started pouring in
17. People who have no clue how to run a business want to tell you how to run yours
18. Your President, with a big smile on his face, tells you "you didn't build that, someone ELSE made that happen"

Mack doesn't realize that his constant lying about that makes everything he says suspect.
I see my little stalker friend remains obsessed with me. It's a compliment that Lone Laugher finds my posts so dangerous that he posts to me even though he knows he's on ignore, but it's still a little creepy. Normal adults don't behave like that.

Two hardcore partisan ideologues calling someone else a liar. Too funny.

Any others?

I see my little stalker friend remains obsessed with me. It's a compliment that Lone Laugher finds my posts so dangerous that he posts to me even though he knows he's on ignore, but it's still a little creepy. Normal adults don't behave like that.

^and he continues to lie. Awesome.

Any others?

^and he continues to lie. Awesome.

Where is the lie, Ravi?

Any others?

Dangerous? You are fun.

It isn't creepy, dummy. It is funny. You don't have enough confidence in yourself to hear what other have to say.

Why ask Ravi that question, by the way? You know the truth. You aren't stupid. You just have issues.

I just noticed your sig. I'm inside your head, dummy. Earmuffs!

Any others?

Dangerous? You are fun.

It isn't creepy, dummy. It is funny. You don't have enough confidence in yourself to hear what other have to say.

Why ask Ravi that question, by the way? You know the truth. You aren't stupid. You just have issues.

Of course he has issues. Pathological liar comes to mind.

btw, why has be put you on ignore? Were you not PC with him and he had a hissy fit?

Dangerous? You are fun.

btw, why has be put you on ignore? Were you not PC with him and he had a hissy fit?

Where's the lie, Ravi?

2nd try.

Dangerous? You are fun.

Where's the lie, Ravi?

2nd try.

Dangerous? You are fun.

Where's the lie, Ravi?

2nd try.

Did you not look at the video?

Dangerous? You are fun.

I pegged him for what he is and told him what I thought of him. He didn't like it.

Dangerous? You are fun.

Where's the lie, Ravi?

2nd try.

Did you not look at the video?

What was he talking about when he said " you didn't build that"? Precisely?

Be honest.

Dangerous? You are fun.

I pegged him for what he is and told him what I thought of him. He didn't like it.
I figured

Dangerous? You are fun.

I figured

Where'd he go? He forgot to answer my question! Pffffft!

Any others?

Weird list. I own a business and I have never experienced 1,2,3,4 5,6 or 8. My dog doesn't growl when I come home, either. I've trained her not to.

I was turned down for a bank loan.....once. I just went to another bank. At least seven times? Where did you get that number?

I experience great satisfaction that my financial destiny is in my own hands.

The list was labelled "tongue-in-cheek". I've been in business forty years, including a few times when nobody could get credit. In times like 1973 you had to be creative to keep the doors open. I have been turned down (including loan applications on behalf of clients as well as my own) a couple hundred times or more. For my own businesses, I have always been able to find funding eventually.

I didn't notice the tongue in cheek remark. Does that mean that your entire list was exaggerated or made up?

The list is neither exaggerated nor made up. I intended it to be light-hearted. Each economist I listed exists and IMHO deserves a place in the history of economic thought. Comments about each refer to their major accomplishment, and some are intended to be a bit cryptic. Think of it as the "Famous Economists" category in a Jeopardy game.

Any others?

Weird list. I own a business and I have never experienced 1,2,3,4 5,6 or 8. My dog doesn't growl when I come home, either. I've trained her not to.

I was turned down for a bank loan.....once. I just went to another bank. At least seven times? Where did you get that number?

I experience great satisfaction that my financial destiny is in my own hands.

The list was labelled "tongue-in-cheek". I've been in business forty years, including a few times when nobody could get credit. In times like 1973 you had to be creative to keep the doors open. I have been turned down (including loan applications on behalf of clients as well as my own) a couple hundred times or more. For my own businesses, I have always been able to find funding eventually.

I didn't notice the tongue in cheek remark. Does that mean that your entire list was exaggerated or made up?

The list is neither exaggerated nor made up. I intended it to be light-hearted. Each economist I listed exists and IMHO deserves a place in the history of economic thought. Comments about each refer to their major accomplishment, and some are intended to be a bit cryptic. Think of it as the "Famous Economists" category in a Jeopardy game.

What economists are you referring to? Are you high?

Forum List

Back