You offend me! Go away! An organized rant on the PC academic culture

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
I've pretty much had it. I'm mad as hell.

Right now, I don't have have the money to get into college, thus, I must educate myself the old fashioned way. Though, it was once my aspiration to get a college education. However, the nonsense going on in our colleges today is making me think it over. Too many kids are spoiled rotten, stuck in their own worlds where everything, everyone, revolves solely around them like the Pre-Copernican universe. Too many kids can't handle criticism. All of this fostered by the politically correct culture of colleges and universities.

Interestingly, you can't say words or phrases without offending someone somewhere. You can't wear something without somehow being offensive. You can't express certain political views on campus. If you want to express yourself at a particular college, there are special free speech zones, just for you. You can't believe what you want to believe without hurting someone's feelings.

Preposterous. If I were a college kid, a conservative, white, Christian, supporter of traditional marriage, pro life, pro gun rights and anti illegal immigration, I would ask to myself: "Since when is my free speech limited to a small parcel of land? Why are my views offensive and not others?" Free speech and expression are slowly being worn away in academia because something or another is offensive to someone else. And I am solely convinced that today's brand of liberalism is responsible for this.

This kind of asininity makes my blood boil. College isn't supposed to be like that. As far as college is concerned, I'm a purist. This may sound naive and cynical to some of you, but college is supposed to be a place where one refines his knowledge and expresses it, expands his intellect and prepares himself for the rest of his life. It is where all opinions and ways of life are supposed to be tolerated and free thought is encouraged. A place where the curriculum isn't influenced by political biases. All the supposed top tier colleges like Yale or Harvard (and Missouri's Journalism Department) seem to be the most restrictive to the idea of diverse thought and opinion, while claiming to encourage diverse thought and opinion.

I hear so much about how and why conservatives are always intolerant, and why liberals aren't. The cliche goes that if you're conservative you're racist, misogynistic, bigoted or flat out intolerant. If you're liberal, you're basically all around tolerant. But that's not what I see in today's colleges and universities. It seems to me to be the exact opposite. To make my point, I'd like to cite a couple of cases. They encapsulate exactly what is wrong with today's academic culture.

At UC Santa Barbara in March of last year, a far left feminist professor, Dr. Mireille Miller-Young, an associate professor with UCSB’s Feminist Studies Department, targeted a Christian pro life student group "Survivors of the Abortion Holocaust" in the main concourse known as "the Arbor" after they simply approached her to give her some literature on the subject. In response, according to the police report, she attacked the students, stole their signs, and destroyed them, claiming she and other students nearby were "triggered" by the the "disturbing" imagery. She went on to say the students had no right to be there. Triggered. You must be joking. The students pressed charges.

Two years ago a Sonoma State University student, then 19 year old Audrey Jarvis was told to remove her cross shaped necklace by school officials at an orientation fair, for fears that it may "offend" other students. How base and puerile.

And don't think this is limited purely to colleges and universities. High schools and other forms of lower education aren't immune to this either. This case from 2013 exemplifies exactly what is wrong in the educational sphere of our society. Here's another from a couple of weeks ago.

This past March, a six year old boy was suspended from school for making a gun gesture with his hand. Another case in 2013 saw an 8 year old suspended from school when he shaped his Pop Tart into the shape of a gun. All of this was a result of some inane fear by these schools that these innocent children may morph into serial killers. This isn't a freaking Transformers movie damn it. Moreover, high school football coaches and players are no longer allowed to pray on the football field anymore. Other young men, like this this football player at Dysart High School in El Mirage, Arizona were ejected from a football game (and suspended for the next one) for giving thanks to God when he scored a touchdown. The suspension was expunged.

Let me put it this way, all schools and institutions; aside from education, should be a forum of ideas and opinions. Where people of all races, ages, creeds, both genders, gays, straights, Democrats, Republicans, Christians, Atheists, Muslims, and so on are allowed to express themselves regardless of what is politically correct or not and without retaliation. Hopefully one day, when I get my life back together, I can go to college knowing that my views, personal and political opinions, preferences, and religious beliefs, among other things will be tolerated just like everyone else's.

And by the way, I don't care what offends you. You have a right to be offended, but not the right to censor me because of it. Grow a pair, or a spine. I don't really care. This is supposed to be a free country. Stop wearing your feelings on your sleeve. Go cry in a corner somewhere, I don't care, just leave me alone, and let me express myself how I see fit.

Last edited:
College is over-rated, I've always thought that. For some things it's needed but for most? Nah. Piece of paper, not much more. Most people learn on the job.

If you can't afford college, can you afford tech school? Good bucks in those.

If you can't afford college, can you afford tech school?

I went to a technical college on what I thought was a full scholarship, but a sudden shift in the prerequisites for the scholarship, passed by the state legislature, left me 400 bucks in debt. I couldn't pay that back.

So here I am, with no money. I'm looking for ways to make some, but any form of higher education is out of the question right now.

I heard that law schools are not immune. A group of women are demanding that all rape cases be removed from the curriculum and rape laws not be discussed. They want all the cases to come with trigger warnings that the subject matter may be too traumatic for their sensitive minds.

It begs the question of how these little cupcakes are going to go out in the world.

I heard that law schools are not immune. A group of women are demanding that all rape cases be removed from the curriculum and rape laws not be discussed. They want all the cases to come with trigger warnings that the subject matter may be too traumatic for their sensitive minds.

It begs the question of how these little cupcakes are going to go out in the world.

Just so the liberals here don't freak out and start demanding links:

Students demand law profs. eliminate traumatic, 'triggering' rape law lessons

I went to a technical college on what I thought was a full scholarship, but a sudden shift in the prerequisites for the scholarship, passed by the state legislature, left me 400 bucks in debt. I couldn't pay that back.

So here I am, with no money. I'm looking for ways to make some, but any form of higher education is out of the question right now.
There is a lot of scholarship money out there. It's a pain in the ass, but if you keep at it you'll have a few grand to work with. Get as many community college credits as you can. You are obviously bright don't give up on it, everyone operates on their own timeline.

There is a lot of scholarship money out there. It's a pain in the ass, but if you keep at it you'll have a few grand to work with. Get as many community college credits as you can. You are obviously bright don't give up on it, everyone operates on their own timeline.

I appreciate that. :)

Right now, I don't have have the money to get into college, thus, I must educate myself the old fashioned way. Though, it was once my aspiration to get a college education. However, the nonsense going on in our colleges today is making me think it over. Too many kids are spoiled rotten, stuck in their own worlds where everything, everyone, revolves solely around them like the Pre-Copernican universe. Too many kids can't handle criticism. All of this fostered by the politically correct culture of colleges and universities.

Interestingly, you can't say words or phrases without offending someone somewhere. You can't wear something without somehow being offensive. You can't express certain political views on campus. If you want to express yourself at a particular college, there are special free speech zones, just for you. You can't believe what you want to believe without hurting someone's feelings.

Preposterous. If I were a college kid, a conservative, white, Christian, supporter of traditional marriage, pro life, pro gun rights and anti illegal immigration, I would ask to myself: "Since when is my free speech limited to a small parcel of land? Why are my views offensive and not others?" Free speech and expression are slowly being worn away in academia because something or another is offensive to someone else. And I am solely convinced that today's brand of liberalism is responsible for this.

This kind of asininity makes my blood boil. College isn't supposed to be like that. As far as college is concerned, I'm a purist. This may sound naive and cynical to some of you, but college is supposed to be a place where one refines his knowledge and expresses it, expands his intellect and prepares himself for the rest of his life. It is where all opinions and ways of life are supposed to be tolerated and free thought is encouraged. A place where the curriculum isn't influenced by political biases. All the supposed top tier colleges like Yale or Harvard (and Missouri's Journalism Department) seem to be the most restrictive to the idea of diverse thought and opinion, while claiming to encourage diverse thought and opinion.

I hear so much about how and why conservatives are always intolerant, and why liberals aren't. The cliche goes that if you're conservative you're racist, misogynistic, bigoted or flat out intolerant. If you're liberal, you're basically all around tolerant. But that's not what I see in today's colleges and universities. It seems to me to be the exact opposite. To make my point, I'd like to cite a couple of cases. They encapsulate exactly what is wrong with today's academic culture.

At UC Santa Barbara in March of last year, a far left feminist professor, Dr. Mireille Miller-Young, an associate professor with UCSB’s Feminist Studies Department, targeted a Christian pro life student group "Survivors of the Abortion Holocaust" in the main concourse known as "the Arbor" after they simply approached her to give her some literature on the subject. In response, according to the police report, she attacked the students, stole their signs, and destroyed them, claiming she and other students nearby were "triggered" by the the "disturbing" imagery. She went on to say the students had no right to be there. Triggered. You must be joking. The students pressed charges.

Two years ago a Sonoma State University student, then 19 year old Audrey Jarvis was told to remove her cross shaped necklace by school officials at an orientation fair, for fears that it may "offend" other students. How base and puerile.

And don't think this is limited purely to colleges and universities. High schools and other forms of lower education aren't immune to this either. This case from 2013 exemplifies exactly what is wrong in the educational sphere of our society. Here's another from a couple of weeks ago.

This past March, a six year old boy was suspended from school for making a gun gesture with his hand. Another case in 2013 saw an 8 year old suspended from school when he shaped his Pop Tart into the shape of a gun. All of this was a result of some inane fear by these schools that these innocent children may morph into serial killers. This isn't a freaking Transformers movie damn it. Moreover, high school football coaches and players are no longer allowed to pray on the football field anymore. Other young men, like this this football player at Dysart High School in El Mirage, Arizona were ejected from a football game (and suspended for the next one) for giving thanks to God when he scored a touchdown. The suspension was expunged.

Let me put it this way, all schools and institutions; aside from education, should be a forum of ideas and opinions. Where people of all races, ages, creeds, both genders, gays, straights, Democrats, Republicans, Christians, Atheists, Muslims, and so on are allowed to express themselves regardless of what is politically correct or not and without retaliation. Hopefully one day, when I get my life back together, I can go to college knowing that my views, personal and political opinions, preferences, and religious beliefs, among other things will be tolerated just like everyone else's.

And by the way, I don't care what offends you. You have a right to be offended, but not the right to censor me because of it. Grow a pair, or a spine. I don't really care. This is supposed to be a free country. Stop wearing your feelings on your sleeve. Go cry in a corner somewhere, I don't care, just leave me alone, and let me express myself how I see fit.
And who exactly is censoring you? Oh right, no one. Just you crying like a whiny schoolgirl again, as usual...

And who exactly is censoring you? Oh right, no one. Just you crying like a whiny schoolgirl again, as usual...

Is there any point in your life where you manage to say something worthwhile?

Just did, you whiny pussy who thinks he can't say whatever the fuck he likes at exactly the same time he's saying it.

Vote for Bernie...he'll provide you with an education so that you can go out and become a productive member of society - contributing to the economy and the national wellbeing and paying back the country's investment in you many times over.

The OP still writes at an eighth grade level......and still doesn't understand how life works.

How many excuses can he come up with for not having the drive to get what it is he seeks?

And...Paint is correct. Nobody.......nowhere....is stopping the OP from saying whatever he wants. He's simply assuming the butthurt of influential people who have been put in their place by societal norms. It beats confronting his own demons.

And LL is simply mischaracterizing my post to make it seem as if I'm being censored this very moment.

Wrong dumbass. I'm talking about the atmosphere in the educational environment. The schools who actively censor things in order to appease one person or groups of persons.

Looks like LL can only read at an 8th Grade level. I'm sorry that my college level writing seems to go completely over his head.

Just did, you whiny pussy who thinks he can't say whatever the fuck he likes at exactly the same time he's saying it.

What does that even mean? Talk about someone who can't face his own demons, eh LL?

You'll find the same thing if you were to get a job. You can't say what you want when you want without suffereing the consequences. Grow up people.

Forum List

Back