You Must Be A Liberal If...

Cancer almost killed me. My life is not complicated. I have chosen to not become encumbered with teh after effects of all that entails. Feel free to revise your statement.

So your telling me it wasn't complicated to go to chemo/surgery/doctors visits for however long and deal with the idea of impending death?

Which proves my point. You have resided yourself to the notion that it is, there your life is complicated.

Please try and write coherently.

If that is your perception then I maintain you are for more interested in makeing yourslef right then you are trying objectively understand people.

Making myself right? If I was interested in that, I'd go to a liberal board. But I'm not. I'm on a board where almost everyone disagrees with me. So, as usual, you are incorrect.

I wasn't responding to the OP, I was responding to your comment.

What a retarded statement.

Cancer almost killed my mom and made her life much more complicated. How exactly was that her choice?

No, sorry. As I said before, life is complicated whether you like it or not.

If by a "bunch of qualifiers" you mean claiming that the left does NOT believe in all of them, and that some of them are obvious misrepresentations, then sure. But you don't. But then again, you seem to be continually unable to realize that those on the other side have a valid point of view.

As if the left cared what the right thinks, wants or believes. In fact the left tries hard to shut the right down. "fly over" country anyone? An attempt to shut down talk radio? The list is endless.

As if the left cared what the right thinks, wants or believes. In fact the left tries hard to shut the right down. "fly over" country anyone? An attempt to shut down talk radio? The list is endless.

I care what the right thinks. I'm not sure how that is relevant in any way to what we were talking about, but since you brought it up, there you go.

So your telling me it wasn't complicated to go to chemo/surgery/doctors visits for however long and deal with the idea of impending death?

It was as complicated as I chose to make it. Other than deciding to die what other choices do I have? Yes you can choose to let something complicate your life in that you view it as a burden or you let it become your life. That is what I mean by complicated. Things are decidely the most uncomplicated when you have very few choices. I get chemo or I die. I have surgery or I die. In most people's minds there is no choice there. You let yourself be treated. Why let something you have no control over complicate your life? Cancer is what it is. You can make it more than it is or you can choose to not let it become your life. If that's the hardest thing you have to uncomplicate most everything else shoudl be pretty easy.

Making myself right? If I was interested in that, I'd go to a liberal board. But I'm not. I'm on a board where almost everyone disagrees with me. So, as usual, you are incorrect.

Your condescending tone quite clearly shows that you are not interested in objective conversations. You came to this board for the same reason I did. Because it has people of the opposite view. Debate with people you agree with tend not too last long and you won't open up to or be presented with new ideas most likely. I have learned things by keeping an open mind and a couple people of from the opposing side have changed my mind on things. The very first time I debated you came off as open minded, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. You seem far more interested in being pompous. If you were interested in finding out what is[/] right instead of that it would be reflected by an attempt to be open minded an unbiased and lack teh condescending tone you use with most people here.

On your point about contradictions. If we're not struggling with contradictions then we're not thinking.

COntradictions can also be reconciled which I have done. The contradiction 'seemingly' is how can you be in favor of killing this person (a death row inmate) and oppossed to killing this one (a baby in the womb). Simple. One is innocent, one is not. One squandered there life, one has yet to live it.

That said matts argument against it I beleive was that innocents are being caught up with guilty. Too me that's basically the same type of argument as those who advocate banning firearms. the rational being some people die while using them and even though its such a small percentage it's jsut not a chance we should take so we'll throw the baby out with the bath water.

It was as complicated as I chose to make it. Other than deciding to die what other choices do I have? Yes you can choose to let something complicate your life in that you view it as a burden or you let it become your life. That is what I mean by complicated. Things are decidely the most uncomplicated when you have very few choices. I get chemo or I die. I have surgery or I die.

And if one doctor recommends surgery or you die, and another recommends chemo, or you die, your life becomes quite complicated all of a sudden.

In most people's minds there is no choice there. You let yourself be treated. Why let something you have no control over complicate your life? Cancer is what it is. You can make it more than it is or you can choose to not let it become your life. If that's the hardest thing you have to uncomplicate most everything else shoudl be pretty easy.

Right...cause cancer is oh so easy.

Your condescending tone quite clearly shows that you are not interested in objective conversations.

My tone is condescending towards you, because by now I've realized you are unable to have an objective conversation, and hence I feel no need to attempt one with you.

You came to this board for the same reason I did. Because it has people of the opposite view.

So you, as a conservative, went to a conservative board to find people of the opposite view? Alrighty then....

Debate with people you agree with tend not too last long and you won't open up to or be presented with new ideas most likely. I have learned things by keeping an open mind and a couple people of from the opposing side have changed my mind on things. The very first time I debated you came off as open minded, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. You seem far more interested in being pompous.

Thats when I had some degree of respect for you. Your constant generalizations about the left, claiming that you are right and I am wrong about huge issues, incorrect characterizations about the left, and general stupidity have washed that all away. I am very open minded, but I have thought about all of these ideas a lot and considered them a lot and when you present me with another tired hashed over partisan bullshit view, I'm not going to take it very seriously. All of your views have very intelligent and viable defenses of them, you just don't seem to have the ability to articulate any of them.

If you were interested in finding out what is[/] right instead of that it would be reflected by an attempt to be open minded an unbiased and lack teh condescending tone you use with most people here.

I am not going to learn what is right from you. Sorry, but you just don't have the intellect to explain these things well enough. That doesn't mean your views are wrong, they may be right, but you just don't have the intellect to explain them well enough to convince me, especially because most of your justifications for ideas are terrible.

By the way...when you make claims about what the left believes, when you have an obviously biased and foolish understanding of who the left is, how incredibly varied it is, and how one should neutrally describe issues...you deserve all the condescension I will throw at you.

COntradictions can also be reconciled which I have done. The contradiction 'seemingly' is how can you be in favor of killing this person (a death row inmate) and oppossed to killing this one (a baby in the womb). Simple. One is innocent, one is not. One squandered there life, one has yet to live it.

No, no. You are seeing it as complicated. Its really simple, why reconcile the contradiction, shouldn't life be simpler than that?

Sarcasm aside, the contradiction can also be reconciled on the other side, just as easily.

My tone is condescending towards you, because by now I've realized you are unable to have an objective conversation, and hence I feel no need to attempt one with you.

So bascially it is okay to be rude to people you belive to be intellectually inferior to you? Objective does not mean that when we converse I am going to agree with you. It means I am going to make you defend your position. As I recall that's how are first debate ended. You basically got tired of me not agreeing with you.

So you, as a conservative, went to a conservative board to find people of the opposite view? Alrighty then....

No, I said I went to a board where there were differing view points. This board has that. This is a perfect example of you wanting to be condescending and looking stupid in the process. Anybody can quite clearly see that there plenty of people of the oppossing view on both sides here.

Thats when I had some degree of respect for you. Your constant generalizations about the left, claiming that you are right and I am wrong about huge issues, incorrect characterizations about the left, and general stupidity have washed that all away. I am very open minded, but I have thought about all of these ideas a lot and considered them a lot and when you present me with another tired hashed over partisan bullshit view, I'm not going to take it very seriously. All of your views have very intelligent and viable defenses of them, you just don't seem to have the ability to articulate any of them.

If you believe I have made in accurate generalizations say so. I'm all ears. As far as claiming I am right and you are wrong well quite clearly you and I are jsut opposite sides of the same coin. One way to have a debate about 'tired hashed out partisan view' instead of simply immediately labeling that consider at leat for second wether there is really anything to it. If you still don't think there is an indeed the person is open minded it should be easy enough for you to explain it to them in a way that is not demeaning or condescending. You at the very least have as much to work on communication wise as you claim i do.

I am not going to learn what is right from you. Sorry, but you just don't have the intellect to explain these things well enough.

One with a superior intellect would not claim that nothing can be learned from someone else based on an incorrect perception.

That doesn't mean your views are wrong, they may be right, but you just don't have the intellect to explain them well enough to convince me, especially because most of your justifications for ideas are terrible.

You don't have the intellect to understand that condescension does not lend itelf well to open mindedness.

By the way...when you make claims about what the left believes, when you have an obviously biased and foolish understanding of who the left is, how incredibly varied it is, and how one should neutrally describe issues...you deserve all the condescension I will throw at you.

Again I woudl examine your preceptions first. You keep saying I make all these innaccurate generalzations, yet you have yet to name me an incorrect one let alone allow me to defend it.

So bascially it is okay to be rude to people you belive to be intellectually inferior to you? Objective does not mean that when we converse I am going to agree with you. It means I am going to make you defend your position. As I recall that's how are first debate ended. You basically got tired of me not agreeing with you.

I see no reason to bother being polite with you. You've earned the opposite. And of course objective does not mean that when we converse you agree with me. It does, however, mean that you are willing to engage my point of view and look at it from something other than a narrow and partisan viewpoint which you were unable to do. I don't care whether you agree with me or not, I cared that you consistently announced that I was wrong about the overlying issue, and that you made the same points again and again and were unable to see when i refuted them.

No, I said I went to a board where there were differing view points. This board has that. This is a perfect example of you wanting to be condescending and looking stupid in the process. Anybody can quite clearly see that there plenty of people of the oppossing view on both sides here.

No, this board is majority Conservative. And omg you called me stupid maybe I'll follow in your footsteps and whine a bunch and call you rude and shit.

If you believe I have made in accurate generalizations say so. I'm all ears. As far as claiming I am right and you are wrong well quite clearly you and I are jsut opposite sides of the same coin.

I have said so. That whole "liberals are more emotional than conservatives" bullshit you tried to claim was completely inaccurate, and really quite juvenile. As for claiming right and wrong, I don't claim that I am right. Merely that others are wrong. I don't have anwsers to most of these problems. I do however have the intelligence to see that some anwsers are incorrect, incoherent, or irrational.

One way to have a debate about 'tired hashed out partisan view' instead of simply immediately labeling that consider at leat for second wether there is really anything to it.

I have considered it. Its tired and hashed out because I've considered it in the past and don't feel the need to continually revisit the exact same issues with the exact same bullshit arguments.

If you still don't think there is an indeed the person is open minded it should be easy enough for you to explain it to them in a way that is not demeaning or condescending. You at the very least have as much to work on communication wise as you claim i do.

It is easy for me to do so. See my conversations with Hjmick or Gem. Of course that is when the person is open minded and intelligent. I can't force you to see what you just don't want to see. Keep in mind that none of my conversations with them result in us changing our minds towards the other pov. Rather it merely ends in mutual respect towards each others pov and that we each got to our conclusions in a rational thought-out way. You seem unable to do this, and rather continually say that your opponents are irrational, close minded, emotional, some other bullshit like that.

One with a superior intellect would not claim that nothing can be learned from someone else based on an incorrect perception.

This is also why I find it frustrating to talk to you. Your sentences are so laden with errors I have to pick and choose which ones I want to point out.

1) I said my intellect is superior to yours, not that I am intelligent.

2) I did not make the claim that nothing can be learned based on an incorrect perception.

You don't have the intellect to understand that condescension does not lend itelf well to open mindedness.

I understand that completely. But further I also understand that you need to meet some minimum amount of competency for me to bother to attempt to understand your views. I thought you met that minimum amount at one time. I spent an awful lot of time trying to understand your views, before I realized what you derived your views from.

Again I woudl examine your preceptions first. You keep saying I make all these innaccurate generalzations, yet you have yet to name me an incorrect one let alone allow me to defend it.

You only just challenged me to find one. Give me more than a nano-second to find one, yes?

And, for reference, the inaccurate generalization is listed above in this post.

I see no reason to bother being polite with you. You've earned the opposite. And of course objective does not mean that when we converse you agree with me. It does, however, mean that you are willing to engage my point of view and look at it from something other than a narrow and partisan viewpoint which you were unable to do. I don't care whether you agree with me or not, I cared that you consistently announced that I was wrong about the overlying issue, and that you made the same points again and again and were unable to see when i refuted them.

You have never told someone they were wrong when you believed them to be wrong? How do you know it was not you that was unable to see my refutations of your point. Our conversation about universal healthcare while long was quite simple. You believe it will improve the health of the entire population. Economics shows that that is unlikely. We got into a truly stupid conversation about the definition of quality of care. You stated you could measure the quality of care of someone that received no care at all. I explained maybe a dozen times trying to differentiate between quality of a system and quality of actual care. You refused to acknowledge the distincition.

No, this board is majority Conservative. And omg you called me stupid maybe I'll follow in your footsteps and whine a bunch and call you rude and shit.

No, you implied that by comeing to a conservative board I must there fore only be conversing with people I agree with. Yet a simple look at who I converse with reveals that to be untrue. I have debated you, Edward, MM, Jillian, Paulitics, Bully, Psychoblues, TM, The Man @ Lunch, Diuretic just to name a few. Further examination will also show that I don't participate long in conversations where somone doesn't present a different view.

I have said so. That whole "liberals are more emotional than conservatives" bullshit you tried to claim was completely inaccurate, and really quite juvenile. As for claiming right and wrong, I don't claim that I am right. Merely that others are wrong. I don't have anwsers to most of these problems. I do however have the intelligence to see that some anwsers are incorrect, incoherent, or irrational.

And again you miss stated what I said. the liberal ideology leans more to the emotional. Are the people who call themselves part of that ideology more emotional than a conservative ideology? I can't say for certain but I woudl tend to think so. I believe that also to be evidenced in the lefts agenda. Two 'feel good'/emotional policies would be raising the minimum wage and again unibersal healthcare. Both on the surface sound like really nice things to do, but on closer examination won't accomplish much of anything. Realistically the minimum wage woudl need to be at least $10/hour to accomplish the goal of makeing sure people can get by. The purpose of univeral health care would really be to improve access to the resource (cause what good is free heatlhcare if you still can't get to see a doc). The thought being as you have said, everyone deserves healthcare, so let's make it free. Well basic economics shows that redcuing the price of something won't improve access to it. In fact it will probably make it worse.

I have considered it. Its tired and hashed out because I've considered it in the past and don't feel the need to continually revisit the exact same issues with the exact same bullshit arguments.

You don't consider it because I am the one saying it. Not because you've actaully considered it.

It is easy for me to do so. See my conversations with Hjmick or Gem. Of course that is when the person is open minded and intelligent. I can't force you to see what you just don't want to see. Keep in mind that none of my conversations with them result in us changing our minds towards the other pov. Rather it merely ends in mutual respect towards each others pov and that we each got to our conclusions in a rational thought-out way. You seem unable to do this, and rather continually say that your opponents are irrational, close minded, emotional, some other bullshit like that.

You have called me close minded as well. With the basic excuse that well you can can call me close minded cause it's true. How is what you are claiming I am any different from what you claim I'm calling you?

This is also why I find it frustrating to talk to you. Your sentences are so laden with errors I have to pick and choose which ones I want to point out.

1) I said my intellect is superior to yours, not that I am intelligent.

2) I did not make the claim that nothing can be learned based on an incorrect perception.

Other than spelling (I tend to type too fast) what were the errors).

I also never said you were intelligent. I said you believe your intellect is supperior to mine.

You most certainly did make the claim in #2. You claimed you can no longer learn anything from me because you are of superior intellect. Which I believe to be an incorrect perception.

I understand that completely. But further I also understand that you need to meet some minimum amount of competency for me to bother to attempt to understand your views. I thought you met that minimum amount at one time. I spent an awful lot of time trying to understand your views, before I realized what you derived your views from.

I strongly suggest pretending for a while that you aren't smarter than me for a while and see what happens. Pretend you've never meat me before. I'll let the past go if you will. What is true between you and I, or anyone I guess, is that if one has the perception that they are of superior intellect to someone,whether that is actualy true or not, they are more likely to discount all together what that peson says.

Pretty telling....give the Libs facts and get comedy in return.....they can't address even one item ..... :lol:

You have never told someone they were wrong when you believed them to be wrong? How do you know it was not you that was unable to see my refutations of your point. Our conversation about universal healthcare while long was quite simple. You believe it will improve the health of the entire population. Economics shows that that is unlikely. We got into a truly stupid conversation about the definition of quality of care. You stated you could measure the quality of care of someone that received no care at all. I explained maybe a dozen times trying to differentiate between quality of a system and quality of actual care. You refused to acknowledge the distincition.

I've told people they are wrong if they are wrong about facts, or about the logical progression of an idea. I generally don't tell people their ideas on the overlying issues are wrong, merely how they got to that idea.

Economics does NOT show that is unlikely. At least no ecomonics you provided. This is exactly what I am talking about. I am willing to entertain the idea that socialized medicine will hurt/not help the population. I believe to to be wrong, but it is a completely viable idea. Your ideas about how economics shows it is unlikely are wrong on a factual level. Its not ideological at all, its just factually wrong.

And your distinction between quality of a system and quality of actual care is an ideological distinction. You find it important, I don't.

No, you implied that by comeing to a conservative board I must there fore only be conversing with people I agree with.

Not at all. Just that you didn't come here to converse with those you disagree with. If you were really interested in that you would visit a board that did not learn so sharply to the right.

And again you miss stated what I said. the liberal ideology leans more to the emotional. Are the people who call themselves part of that ideology more emotional than a conservative ideology? I can't say for certain but I woudl tend to think so.

Of course you would. Because you like to think that people have opposing viewpoints because of some weakness in them, not because their opposing viewpoint might actually come from something viable.

I believe that also to be evidenced in the lefts agenda. Two 'feel good'/emotional policies would be raising the minimum wage and again unibersal healthcare. Both on the surface sound like really nice things to do, but on closer examination won't accomplish much of anything. Realistically the minimum wage woudl need to be at least $10/hour to accomplish the goal of makeing sure people can get by. The purpose of univeral health care would really be to improve access to the resource (cause what good is free heatlhcare if you still can't get to see a doc). The thought being as you have said, everyone deserves healthcare, so let's make it free. Well basic economics shows that redcuing the price of something won't improve access to it. In fact it will probably make it worse.

Reducing the price of something WILL improve access to it. That is basic, and extremely simple economics. The cheaper something is, the more people can afford it. Derr.

However, I responded to this shit in another thread. If you want to defend your idiotic viewpoint about how liberals are oh so emotional and conservatives are oh so rational, then argue it in the previous thread not here.

You don't consider it because I am the one saying it. Not because you've actaully considered it.

No, I don't consider it because I already have considered it and don't feel the need to revisit it if you are giving me the same bullshit arguments I heard when I considered it the first time.

You have called me close minded as well. With the basic excuse that well you can can call me close minded cause it's true. How is what you are claiming I am any different from what you claim I'm calling you?

Read what I said again. I did NOT just claim that you called me closeminded and thats why I did that.

Other than spelling (I tend to type too fast) what were the errors).

I already spelled them out for you.

I also never said you were intelligent. I said you believe your intellect is supperior to mine.

*sigh*...if you compare two things you can't measure them objectively. To say I am more intelligent than you is not to say that I have an IQ or 100 or 80 or 140 or wahtever, just that mine is higher than yours, and hence to say that the intellect means something specific, that has no relation to your intellect, is untrue.

You most certainly did make the claim in #2. You claimed you can no longer learn anything from me because you are of superior intellect. Which I believe to be an incorrect perception.

Then you need to write more clearly. But that is also a stupid belief, because you are assuming that a superior intellect would realize that their own perception is incorrect.

I strongly suggest pretending for a while that you aren't smarter than me for a while and see what happens.

I tried treating you seriously before. You failed the test.

Pretend you've never meat me before. I'll let the past go if you will. What is true between you and I, or anyone I guess, is that if one has the perception that they are of superior intellect to someone,whether that is actualy true or not, they are more likely to discount all together what that peson says.

I don't discount altogether what you say. Notice the difference between how I treat you and RSR or RGS. But nor do I accord your statements with the same respect as I would others on this board. I am not going to bother explaining things out to you that I have no faith in your willingness nor ability to comprehend. Your statements about the left and liberals leave me with a bad taste in my mouth about you and so I have no real desire to attempt to try. If you want to "start new and fresh" that would require you to drop all of your assumptions and beliefs not just about me, but what about the left believes. Because when you say stupid shit about how the left is emotional and thats why they are wrong, I really see very little reason to take you seriously.

I've told people they are wrong if they are wrong about facts, or about the logical progression of an idea. I generally don't tell people their ideas on the overlying issues are wrong, merely how they got to that idea.

Economics does NOT show that is unlikely. At least no ecomonics you provided. This is exactly what I am talking about. I am willing to entertain the idea that socialized medicine will hurt/not help the population. I believe to to be wrong, but it is a completely viable idea. Your ideas about how economics shows it is unlikely are wrong on a factual level. Its not ideological at all, its just factually wrong.

When price goes down does consumption and demand not increase? If consumption increases what happens to supply? Supply in this case bein medical resources, the only way then for access to improve if price goes down is for supply of the resources to increase. What reason is there to beleive that supply will respond acccordingly to teh increased demand?

And your distinction between quality of a system and quality of actual care is an ideological distinction. You find it important, I don't.

No it isn't. This is extremely simple. I agree we don't have a perfect healthcare system a perfect healthcare system to me would be that everybody get what they need when they need it. That isn't the case here. quality of care is you go to the doctor for whatever. You can rate whether you were treated well by determining if a diagnosis was correct, were the staff competent, were necessary resources readily available, etc. Those things are quality of care. THose aren't subjective definitions. If you didn't go to the doctor at all for whatever reason then you received no care and this received none of the above so you can't measure the quality, in other words whether they were good or bad, if never experienced any of them.

Not at all. Just that you didn't come here to converse with those you disagree with. If you were really interested in that you would visit a board that did not learn so sharply to the right.

Of course you would. Because you like to think that people have opposing viewpoints because of some weakness in them, not because their opposing viewpoint might actually come from something viable.

Of the things you think I beleive I have every right to tell you, you are wrong . And you are wrong.

Reducing the price of something WILL improve access to it. That is basic, and extremely simple economics. The cheaper something is, the more people can afford it. Derr.

No it increases consumption which is demand factor. Access is a supply factor. How can the supply of somethign increase merely because the price dropped?

I don't discount altogether what you say. Notice the difference between how I treat you and RSR or RGS. But nor do I accord your statements with the same respect as I would others on this board. I am not going to bother explaining things out to you that I have no faith in your willingness nor ability to comprehend. Your statements about the left and liberals leave me with a bad taste in my mouth about you and so I have no real desire to attempt to try. If you want to "start new and fresh" that would require you to drop all of your assumptions and beliefs not just about me, but what about the left believes. Because when you say stupid shit about how the left is emotional and thats why they are wrong, I really see very little reason to take you seriously.

It would require the same of you, would it not? You can't tell me you don't have preconceived notions of what the right believes.

When price goes down does consumption and demand not increase? If consumption increases what happens to supply? Supply in this case bein medical resources, the only way then for access to improve if price goes down is for supply of the resources to increase. What reason is there to beleive that supply will respond acccordingly to teh increased demand?

When price goes down consumption and demand will increase, thus increasing access to healthcare. Access is how many people have access to it, and how often. This is the same old shit, you are just using a different term.

No it isn't. This is extremely simple. I agree we don't have a perfect healthcare system a perfect healthcare system to me would be that everybody get what they need when they need it. That isn't the case here. quality of care is you go to the doctor for whatever. You can rate whether you were treated well by determining if a diagnosis was correct, were the staff competent, were necessary resources readily available, etc. Those things are quality of care. THose aren't subjective definitions. If you didn't go to the doctor at all for whatever reason then you received no care and this received none of the above so you can't measure the quality, in other words whether they were good or bad, if never experienced any of them.

As I've said before, 0 is a number. I've responded to these arguments before, I'd really rather not pollute another thread with this.

It would require the same of you, would it not? You can't tell me you don't have preconceived notions of what the right believes.

The right believes a whole host of different things. I try very hard not to make generalizations about what the right believes, and I never say "the right believes x", I always try and say "generally, those on the right think x".

When price goes down consumption and demand will increase, thus increasing access to healthcare. Access is how many people have access to it, and how often. This is the same old shit, you are just using a different term.

A price drop does not increase access. It increases consumption. consumption is a type of demand. Access is a measure of availability or supply. More people will consumer the product most definately but that will strain access to it as more people than previously try to consume the same amount of supply.

As I've said before, 0 is a number. I've responded to these arguments before, I'd really rather not pollute another thread with this.

I'm not talking about numbers. I asked if the quality of care provided to you by the medical facility that you didn't go to was good or bad? How can you tell me if you were treated good or bad by a service you didn't use. Your assertion would have to be then that because you didn't use the facilities services, the facilities services were bad. Which is a little ridiculous

If you didn't see the doctor beacuse you couldn't afford then I have no problem with the assertion that on the whole the system failed you or is bad. System is the whole thing that paitent care or quality of care is just one part of, as your WHO data showed.

The right believes a whole host of different things. I try very hard not to make generalizations about what the right believes, and I never say "the right believes x", I always try and say "generally, those on the right think x".

I never said all liberals are emotional. I have said it is a trait of the ideology. So basically you and I do the same thing. I am well aware that an entire group of people are unlikely to hold a characteristic in common among all of them.

there is nothing inherently "emotional" about liberalism.

It is a political philosophy. Saying that liberals are inherently emotional is as ridiculous as saying that nihilists are inherently sullen.

there is nothing inherently "emotional" about liberalism.

It is a political philosophy. Saying that liberals are inherently emotional is as ridiculous as saying that nihilists are inherently sullen.

I don't think either of you understand what I mean by emotion.

That you think me saying that is somehow a slur or insult says a lot. the idea is that the liberal ideology prides itself on makeing decisons from the heart (emotional, compassionate, whatever you want to call it) rather than the mind (objective, reasoned, etc.) so to speak. If your a liberal your suppossed to take pride in that trait when compared to the 'cold, unfeeling' decision made by a conservate

The most compassionate course of action may not be the most reasoned one and vice versa. For example free healthcare. It is compassion that would say no one should have to pay to be treated. It is hard to call either right or wrong. It's a matter of what trade off you find acceptable. Sure we can provide free healthcare to everyone, probably at the cost the quality of our facilities and doctors and accesss. Or we can have a pay for system which offers the best care by our facilities and physicians possible at the cost that not everyone is alway going to be able to afford it.

If we can come up with a solution where there isn't a trade off, great. Free healthcare whenever you need it. Who wouldn't go for that? But getting our cake and eating it too is unliekly

(emotional, compassionate, whatever you want to call it)

"emotional" is different than "compassionate". You need to start using the language with some degree of precision, or communication will be impossible.

(emotional, compassionate, whatever you want to call it)

"emotional" is different than "compassionate". You need to start using the language with some degree of precision, or communication will be impossible.

COmmunication is impossible with people that are condescending as well.

The problem is you think you know what I mean when I say emotional. Your assumptions are not my problem

My communication is not the problem. Are you Larkin in disguise. You're becomeing as rude and condescending as he is.

The problem is you think you know what I mean when I say emotional and you don't. You use it as your excuse to not have a conversation.

no. the situation is: I know what the definition of emotional is, and I know what the definition of compassionate is... and I know that they are two different words with two different meanings.... and anyone who says, (emotional, compassionate, whatever you want to call it) uses words in an imprecise way.

It is not a "problem", it is just a fact. I have no "problem" with it... I just know that "having a conversation" with someone who uses words with such callous and apparently deliberate imprecision is nothing I really care to engage in. I am sorry if you think that is "rude and condescending".... it is not meant to be either.

Forum List

Back