You Liberal Yankees shoulda let us go and keep the slaves

Politico???

RFLMAO!!! You lost as soon as you pulled out that left- wing rag. It's not a valid source.

Not pushed civil rights? You mean deny blacks the voting rights southern whites already have?

Politico???

RFLMAO!!! You lost as soon as you pulled out that left- wing rag. It's not a valid source.
You can't say it's wrong just because you don't like the source. And if you feel it's wrong, point out where.

Not pushed civil rights? You mean deny blacks the voting rights southern whites already have?
Well, dean, in honesty I started the thread for laughs. But, it is ironic that but for the south, which consistently elects only whites (or Asian) quasi libertarians or big govt republicans, the dems would have both congress and the WH. LBJ had that infamous quote about blacks voting dem ... well that didn't work out so well since the south has been the gop's base since Nixon. And southern states continue to have higher than avg % of African American voters. I continue to believe that public accommodation laws and racial quotas have been more harmful than helpful to race relations, but it's not debatable that they absolutely killed dems in the south.

Slavery would have eventually become less cost-effective, anyway. With the advent of the Industrial Revolution, they would have just gotten higher-paying jobs operating the machines.

All those people killed in the Civil War for nothing. Just because some Yankees got a bug up their ass.

I thought the article was very amusing. Long on conjecture and speculation, short on factual tidbits.
Thank you for "getting" the thread. But, it's not debatable that even before the civil war the South was mostly democrat, and that didn't change till post-newdeal 1949. There's no way the dems can take the house. And the probably won't change for at least a decade.

I thought the article was very amusing. Long on conjecture and speculation, short on factual tidbits.
Thank you for "getting" the thread. But, it's not debatable that even before the civil war the South was mostly democrat, and that didn't change till post-newdeal 1949. There's no way the dems can take the house. And the probably won't change for at least a decade.

Lol. I got it!! However, it was firmly dem in the 60's too....which you alluded to...post new deal. Of course civil war it was dem. No disagreement there.

Slavery would have eventually become less cost-effective, anyway. With the advent of the Industrial Revolution, they would have just gotten higher-paying jobs operating the machines.

All those people killed in the Civil War for nothing. Just because some Yankees got a bug up their ass.

How could Slavery become less cost-effective? You basically have free human labor that you just need to feed and house like livestock. The cotton gin was an aspect of industrial revolution and it only increased the need for slaves because you could process more cotton at a faster rate which increased profits. It's entirely feasible to have a slave-based economy in the modern age even....go look at a plethora of sweat shops in Asia.

If you really think that people in the South today are against equal civil rights for black people....you're a moron.

PS: If you study the differences in politeness between people in the South vs the North...people in the South are more likely to hold the door open for you, and pick up your books if you drop them on the floor. There's been studies on this before at accredited 4-year universities (I learned about this at a SUNY university actually). Just saying.

How could Slavery become less cost-effective? You basically have free human labor that you just need to feed and house like livestock. The cotton gin was an aspect of industrial revolution and it only increased the need for slaves because you could process more cotton at a faster rate which increased profits. It's entirely feasible to have a slave-based economy in the modern age even....go look at a plethora of sweat shops in Asia.

Contrary to your misguided beliefs, slaves weren't "free": They had to be purchased and often brought good prices, depending on their ability and physical characteristics. They required maintenance, feeding, housing, medical care. No decent plantation owner was going to allow his investment to depreciate. Egypt, Rome, and Greece all built empires from people who have otherwise died, had they not became slaves.

If those people weren't working in those Asian sweatshops, what would they be doing? Working for some large company as the CEO? Holding a high political office? No, entire families would starve to death. The left's hare-brained pipe dream of "income equality" would not only be disastrous for this country, don't you even wonder what effect it would have on a country like China? Production would drop to zero and you could say "goodbye" to running down to your local Walmart for anything. Of course, you'd like that, wouldn't you? You could just stay at home and weave whatever you need, from the weeds in your neighbor's back yard.

And might I add, Feingold is an idiot. he lost once and he can lose again.

Well, dean, in honesty I started the thread for laughs. But, it is ironic that but for the south, which consistently elects only whites (or Asian) quasi libertarians or big govt republicans, the dems would have both congress and the WH. LBJ had that infamous quote about blacks voting dem ... well that didn't work out so well since the south has been the gop's base since Nixon. And southern states continue to have higher than avg % of African American voters. I continue to believe that public accommodation laws and racial quotas have been more harmful than helpful to race relations, but it's not debatable that they absolutely killed dems in the south.

In my state alone:

Voted for Obama (twice)
Rubio (1/2 of the US Senate)
3/27 Representatives are black (11% close to the actual % in the state)

I'm not going to go through every state but I know that Virginia and North Carolina also voted for Obama, there's Bobby Jindal, Nikki Haley wants the Confederate flag removed from public property, J. Bush removed it from here.

No matter what the South does there's always going to be people like you who assume you know the culture. Is there racism here? Absolutely. Having lived in Buffalo, Long Island, and Florida...I can tell you I saw MUCH more racism on Long Island and Buffalo than I ever have here.

If you're ignorant to the Southern way of living--don't comment on it like you're not.

Contrary to your misguided beliefs, slaves weren't "free": They had to be purchased and often brought good prices, depending on their ability and physical characteristics. They required maintenance, feeding, housing, medical care. No decent plantation owner was going to allow his investment to depreciate. Egypt, Rome, and Greece all built empires from people who have otherwise died, had they not became slaves.

If those people weren't working in those Asian sweatshops, what would they be doing? Working for some large company as the CEO? Holding a high political office? No, entire families would starve to death. The left's hare-brained pipe dream of "income equality" would not only be disastrous for this country, don't you even wonder what effect it would have on a country like China? Production would drop to zero and you could say "goodbye" to running down to your local Walmart for anything. Of course, you'd like that, wouldn't you? You could just stay at home and weave whatever you need, from the weeds in your neighbor's back yard.

And might I add, Feingold is an idiot. he lost once and he can lose again.

I suppose you think buying a slave is the equivalent of week to week paychecks, and like I said, feed and house them like livestock...and it's free labor otherwise.

If the people working in sweatshops were given decent wages they could actually have a consumer economy and a more educated populace, trying to make them be thankful for the scraps they're given by the corporate masters is rather disgusting frankly. I would imagine you'd want the entire lower class US population in conditions like that though. The demand won't go anywhere, it'll just have to be supplied by more efficient means. We went through an economy like that back in the pre-FDR days with child labor and horrendous working conditions, but we modernized and it turned out much for the better.

And Feingold lost, barely, in the 2010 wave. He's an incredible candidate and against a nobody like Johnson he should have an easy election. Sabato has the race "leans Dem" and that's with a GOP incumbent this early on!

In my state alone:

Voted for Obama (twice)

I'm not going to go through every state but I know that Virginia and North Carolina also voted for Obama, there's Bobby Jindal, Nikki Haley wants the Confederate flag removed from public property, J. Bush removed it from here.

No matter what the South does there's always going to be people like you who assume you know the culture. Is there racism here? Absolutely. Having lived in Buffalo, Long Island, and Florida...I can tell you I saw MUCH more racism on Long Island and Buffalo than I ever have here.

If you're ignorant to the Southern way of living--don't comment on it like you're not.
Having visited both North Carolina and South Carolina, most of the people there are overly polite and courteous, even if it was a short stop in both places for a few days. Never saw evidence of racism while I was there. But I have seen plenty of it in D.C and Maryland, including racist-acting Federal police in the so-called liberal heartland.

Kissing a black guy gives you disgusted looks around central D.C, whereas kissing a white guy doesn't. If your friend is black, and he's driving, the Federal police look at the driver as if he is drug dealer or doing something potentially illegal with a white guy - and that was shocking as I had never seen actual racism before. Never had that issue in the South though.

In my state alone:

Voted for Obama (twice)

Having visited both North Carolina and South Carolina, most of the people there are overly polite and courteous, even if it was a short stop in both places for a few days. Never saw evidence of racism while I was there. But I have seen plenty of it in D.C and Maryland, including racist-acting Federal police in the so-called liberal heartland.

Kissing a black guy gives you disgusted looks around central D.C, whereas kissing a white guy doesn't. If your friend is black, and he's driving, the Federal police look at the driver as if he is drug dealer or doing something potentially illegal with a white guy - and that was shocking as I had never seen actual racism before. Never had that issue in the South though.

Have you ever heard of a police officer in South Carolina by the name of Walter Scott? Or maybe someone named Dylann Roof?

In my state alone:

Voted for Obama (twice)

Have you ever heard of a police officer in South Carolina by the name of Walter Scott? Or maybe someone named Dylann Roof?

Are you suggesting that there aren't some white people in the North who kill black people? Anybody can point at a few extreme examples--that doesn't make it the norm. You are aware of that right?

In my state alone:

Voted for Obama (twice)

Are you suggesting that there aren't some white people in the North who kill black people? Anybody can point at a few extreme examples--that doesn't make it the norm. You are aware of that right?

I wasn't considering it a norm...I was replying to this statement:

Never saw evidence of racism while I was there.

Forum List

Back