You Just KNEW This Was Coming

To an intelligent person, the data in the Beeb article confirm what's already been established - that the underlying cause is a mental illness that can be fixed.

Only an idiot believes it's an endorsement of the behavior.

No, it's not presented as a mental illness, but as a natural occurrence, same as homosexuality.

A matter of "wiring".

Brain wiring, correct. Pedophilia is a natural occurrence the way schizophrenia is a natural occurrence.

Sexual preference is not something that shows up on an MRI, and your conflating it with pedophilia is a common mistake among the misinformed.

To an intelligent person, the data in the Beeb article confirm what's already been established - that the underlying cause is a mental illness that can be fixed.

No, it's not presented as a mental illness, but as a natural occurrence, same as homosexuality.

A matter of "wiring".

Brain wiring, correct. Pedophilia is a natural occurrence the way schizophrenia is a natural occurrence.

Sexual preference is not something that shows up on an MRI, and your conflating it with pedophilia is a common mistake among the misinformed.

Oh? So which is it? A preference or a natural drive?

Seems we had this very argument recently over another issue of odd human behavior.

A matter of "wiring".

Pedophilia, as the article indicates, is a result of a glitch in the brain wiring. The phenomenon itself is a natural occurrence the way schizophrenia is a natural occurrence. Acknowledging the accuracy of the medical imagery is not an endorsement of the behavior.

Sexual preference, OTOH, is not something that shows up on an MRI, and your conflating it with pedophilia is a common mistake among the misinformed.

Or, to put it in simpler words: Homosexual =/= pedophile.

Got it yet?

A matter of "wiring".

Pedophilia, as the article indicates, is a result of a glitch in the brain wiring. The phenomenon itself is a natural occurrence the way schizophrenia is a natural occurrence. Acknowledging the accuracy of the medical imagery is not an endorsement of the behavior.

Sexual preference, OTOH, is not something that shows up on an MRI, and your conflating it with pedophilia is a common mistake among the misinformed.

Got it yet?

I get what you are trying to say, but it is not being presented as a glitch, anymore than hardwired homosexuality was presented as a glitch.

And I have not said there is an endorsement. There was not in the early stages of presenting homosexuality as normative either.

A matter of "wiring".

Got it yet?

I get what you are trying to say, but it is not being presented as a glitch, anymore than hardwired homosexuality was presented as a glitch.

And I have not said there is an endorsement. There was not in the early stages of presenting homosexuality as normative either.

Then you have to separate societal norms (loosely described as "we've always done it this way") from, in my view, biochemistry. The article mentions maternal malnutrition as one possible cause for pedophilia. It could be many things.

As I see it, if we can figure out what causes it and prevent it (pedophilia, I mean; I'm a stickler for letting consenting adults be - well - consenting), that would be a good thing - both in terms of fewer potential victims, and in terms of the life of misery a pedophile who doesn't act on his proclivity would lead.

Another thing is that, historically, we're not that many centuries removed from child brides (or, in the case of countries like India, marrying children to other children), so that's bred into our ancestral memory as well.

Complicated stuff.

For centuries schizophrenics and even epileptics were tortured and even killed because they "harbored demons." The more we understand the biochemical reasons for many of our behaviors, the better off we'll all be.

And, yes, I'm aware that the APA didn't change its attitude toward homosexuality until the 1970s, but I put that down to, again, societal expectations and inexact science.

A matter of "wiring".

Got it yet?

Then you have to separate societal norms (loosely described as "we've always done it this way") from, in my view, biochemistry. The article mentions maternal malnutrition as one possible cause for pedophilia. It could be many things.

As I see it, if we can figure out what causes it and prevent it (pedophilia, I mean; I'm a stickler for letting consenting adults be - well - consenting), that would be a good thing - both in terms of fewer potential victims, and in terms of the life of misery a pedophile who doesn't act on his proclivity would lead.

Another thing is that, historically, we're not that many centuries removed from child brides (or, in the case of countries like India, marrying children to other children), so that's bred into our ancestral memory as well.

Complicated stuff.

For centuries schizophrenics and even epileptics were tortured and even killed because they "harbored demons." The more we understand the biochemical reasons for many of our behaviors, the better off we'll all be.

And, yes, I'm aware that the APA didn't change its attitude toward homosexuality until the 1970s, but I put that down to, again, societal expectations and inexact science.

The concept of "consenting adults" that can be, as I sure you realize, changed in a flash. Consider the recent moves among the Left to lower the voting age to 16, and Obama's decree via Obamacare that adolescence stretch to age 26.

And yes, since the whole idea of adolescence is a fairly recent societal construct anyway, it is not so sacrosanct as some would believe.

Forum List

Back