"You juss harassin me cause im black."

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
I know the stories been posted already but it doesnt do it justice till you see this photo.

McKinney: Race sparked tiff with police
Lawmaker faces possible charges after allegedly striking officer

Friday, March 31, 2006; Posted: 9:34 p.m. EST (02:34 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- As U.S. Rep. Cynthia McKinney, D-Georgia, faces possible criminal charges for a Wednesday altercation with a Capitol Police officer, one of her lawyers said Friday that the real issues were "sex, race and Ms. McKinney's progressiveness."

In a news conference featuring actor Danny Glover and singer Harry Belafonte, McKinney said she would be exonerated and that "this whole incident was instigated by the inappropriate touching and stopping of me, a female, black congresswoman."

She had little else to say, citing the ongoing investigation into her allegedly striking a police officer after he failed to recognize her at a security checkpoint and tried to stop her from passing.

One Republican congressman dismissed the star-studded news conference. "Rep. McKinney appearing with the star of "Lethal Weapon"? Not exactly the message you want to be sending," said Ron Bonjean, spokesman for House Speaker Dennis Hastert.

Asked Friday if Capitol Police intended to bring charges against the congresswoman, Sgt. Kimberly Schneider said only, "I know we're still investigating."

The 51-year-old legislator was surrounded by more than two dozen supporters at the Friday news conference, some carrying handwritten placards that read "Recognize our congresswoman" and "Is Cynthia a target?"

During the conference, held at historically black Howard University in Washington, civil rights attorney James Myart said his client was "assaulted" by a Capitol Police officer, whose name the department refuses to release.

"Because she was assaulted and placed in impending fear of her safety, she responded," he said. "This case has just begun and we're going to fight, and we're going to use the U.S. Constitution."

Myart said McKinney would seek a criminal investigation against the officer, and a civil lawsuit against both the officer and the Capitol Police is being explored.

However, McKinney's other attorney, Michael Raffauf, downplayed the possibility of pressing charges against the officer, saying, "Not every assault deserves to be criminally prosecuted."

Myart further called the incident racial profiling and said there was "no excuse" for Capitol Police not recognizing his client, and Raffauf said she was stopped solely because of her race, gender and politics.

"It is the job of the Capitol Police to protect members of Congress. As a part of that job, they are to know who those members are," he said. "Whenever you put a police officer out on the street, he is supposed to know his job."

Members of Congress are allowed to bypass the metal detectors and security checkpoint. They are supposed to wear a lapel pin that identifies them as lawmakers. McKinney acknowledges she wasn't wearing one when she was stopped, but concurred with Myart that police should know who she is.

"The pin is not the issue," the six-time congresswoman said. "The issue is face recognition."

Glover and Belafonte refrained from addressing the facts of the case and said they were there to support McKinney. Belafonte said he did not know what happened during the Wednesday incident but wanted to make sure the matter was handled on "a very fair and very square basis."

"We've watched her be abused in the past, and she's overcome, stood strong," the outspoken Belafonte said. "We're not going to be absent or indifferent to the fact that she may be abused again."

Added Glover, "We're not here to judge the merits of the case, but here to support our sister."

Representatives of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and National Organization for Women also spoke on McKinney's behalf.

McKinney represents a majority black district on the east side of metro Atlanta. She was first elected in 1992, but lost the seat in 2002. She regained it in 2004.

The congresswoman, who said she has had problems with Capitol Police not recognizing her in the past, demanded and received an apology from Bill Clinton's administration in 1998 after White House guards stopped her.

r1533894256.jpg

I knew it must be her. Heard she had, 'More to say...' :rolleyes:

http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap_newfullstory.asp?ID=73508

McKinney incident referred to U.S. Attorney's Office

The Associated Press - ATLANTA

Capitol Hill police have referred a scuffle between one of their officers and U.S. Rep. Cynthia McKinney to the U.S. Attorney's Office in Washington, D.C., a spokesman for the office said Monday.

"We are working with Capitol Hill police to fully understand and appreciate the incident," principal assistant U.S. Attorney Channing Phillips told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "Pending review, it is inappropriate for us to comment any further at this time."

Phillips would not say whether a warrant was issued for McKinney's arrest.

McKinney spokesman Coz Carson on Monday also acknowledged the investigation.

"We're aware that the wheels are turning in Washington," Carson said. "We have no control over what they decide to do. We will make the appropriate statement and take the appropriate action once we know where they're going."

At a press conference Monday morning, black clergy and lawmakers came the defense of the firebrand congresswoman. McKinney smiled as her supporters heaped praise on her leadership and her new look _ her trademark cornrows replaced earlier this year by a curly brown afro.

Speaking during a meeting of the Concerned Black Clergy of Metropolitan Atlanta, McKinney did not mention last week's altercation, which happened after a Capitol Hill officer failed to recognize her as she entered a House office building.

Instead, McKinney's supporters did the talking, calling her face and record internationally famous. Her supporters tried to minimize the incident _ which they called political, not criminal _ but they also suggested it was an example of racial profiling. They called publicity surrounding the episode a distraction that is being used by "her enemies" to keep the congresswoman from performing her elected duties.

Immediately after the news conference, McKinney was ushered out of the building and into a black SUV, smiling and keeping silent when reporters questioned her as she made her exit.

Officials have said McKinney could be charged with striking the officer. McKinney said last week the incident was initiated by the officer's "inappropriate stopping and touching" of her.

The Rev. Reverend Darrell D. Elligan, president of Concerned Black Clergy, called McKinney, competent, courageous and committed.

"She has our support unconditionally," Elligan said. "She is not a threat to the security of our country."

Several Georgia black lawmakers spoke of similar treatment at the Georgia Capitol _ specifically referring to an incident where they said they were relegated to a balcony during the viewing of the body of Coretta Scott King in February.

State Rep. Tyrone Brooks, who has represented Atlanta for 26 years, said he was treated like "a country bumpkin" the day of the viewing.

"I was offended, I was angry," said Brooks, head of the Georgia Association of Black Elected Officials. "If it happens to us in Atlanta, it happens to Cynthia McKinney in Washington. This is real."

State Rep. "Able" Mable Thomas, corroborated the Feb. 4 incident _ where she and other black lawmakers said they were relegated to the balcony of the Capitol and unable to participate in the procession. She said she did not mention the incident at the time out of respect for King.

With her parents looking on in the audience, McKinney spoke at the end of the press conference, touting her service to her district.

"Rest assured, I am doing the work they sent me to Washington to do. Nothing is going to keep me away from my responsibilities," she said.

I wouldn't be suprised if she intentionally frizzed her hair out so people would make comments on her apperance. Thus feeding fuel to her supposed racial treatment.

She probably thinks she's above the law as a person in her position. So when she was treated just like anyone else, she had to play the race card.

Just another racist black crying racist. Is something supposed to be surprizing about that?

I did a google image search for Cynthia McKinney and her apperance is like this in every picture;

c_mckinney.jpg

Probably doesn't mean anything, but I find it interesting that she has changed her apperance in a dramatic way for this news conference.

MtnBiker said:
By the way, why are Danny Glover and Harry Belafonte important for the news conference?
don't know about Belafonte, but Danny Glover can't seem to get arrested in Hollywood lately, yet his Lethal Weapon counterpart, and our fellow conservative, made more money last year with The Passion of the Christ than Glover did in all 4 LW movies combined...Glover's gotta do something to be in the spotlight, even if it is green with envy.

Pale Rider said:
She probably thinks she's above the law as a person in her position. So when she was treated just like anyone else, she had to play the race card.

Just another racist black crying racist. Is something supposed to be surprizing about that?
Perfect summary of this LOON. 100% correct!:beer:

Forum List

Back