You gotta have faith.....

Just wondering. Because this:

anndunham-and-parents-small-small.jpg

Is his family. His mother:

080313-NYT-Obama-vmed-9p_widec.jpg

who raised him until he was 10. At that point he went to live with his grandparents:

obama-grandparents_jpg_20070908_10_.jpg

Until he graduated from high school. His biological mother was white. He was raised in a white family- all white for most of his childhood. He has spoken out on racial issues, calling not only on white people to understand how black people can feel offended when they are treated like criminals for walking down the wrong street, but also calling on black people to understand that it's not racism when a white person feels wronged because affirmative action policies caused a minority to take his or her place at a job or in a school. He has stated that there is racism present on both sides and neither is innocent. He also stated as long as there are unspoken tensions over issues like those I just mentioned, that there will be suspicion and resentment which only feeds into the truly racist elements on each side.

Now having said that, you either think perhaps you should reconsider your opinion of Obama, or you must believe that despite growing upon in a completely white family most of his young life, he has somehow managed to be converted into a racist black extremist who hates his own mother, hates his own grandparents, has managed to keep his true agenda hidden well enough to be elected to the U.S. Senate in Illinois, and is making those type statements above as a cover.

And if you believe the latter, you're just another conspiracy loon and there's no reason to bother.

Malcolm X's mother was white. most consider him racist until his trip to Mecca.

And one more point .... the first post in this thread said ....

..... where in that title and post does it say "squat" about a reference to Obama's racist and anti-american religious connections! And btw .... America is spelled with a CAPITOL .... A ......!!! :eusa_eh:

Thanks for the help, I will keep that in mind the next time I post a new thread. Again I am very sorry, if I misled you as to what the thread contained....

Now do you have any comments based on the video in the original post that started the thread? Which outlined the various religious connections of Obama that spouted racist and anti-American comments.

Malcolm X's mother was white. most consider him racist until his trip to Mecca.

Malcolm X's mother was from Granada. She only looked white. Obama's mother was from Kansas.

Malcolm's father was part of his early life. Three of his uncles were killed by white people, including one who was lynched. His father was a black activist who died under what those in Malcolm's community said were suspicious circumstances. By the time he was 13 his mother was committed to a mental hospital and he was in foster care.
Obama's mother was an anthropologist. His father left by the time he was 2.

Yeah, I can see the similarities here...

geez..

Just wondering. Because this:

anndunham-and-parents-small-small.jpg

Is his family. His mother:

080313-NYT-Obama-vmed-9p_widec.jpg

who raised him until he was 10. At that point he went to live with his grandparents:

obama-grandparents_jpg_20070908_10_.jpg

Until he graduated from high school. His biological mother was white. He was raised in a white family- all white for most of his childhood. He has spoken out on racial issues, calling not only on white people to understand how black people can feel offended when they are treated like criminals for walking down the wrong street, but also calling on black people to understand that it's not racism when a white person feels wronged because affirmative action policies caused a minority to take his or her place at a job or in a school. He has stated that there is racism present on both sides and neither is innocent. He also stated as long as there are unspoken tensions over issues like those I just mentioned, that there will be suspicion and resentment which only feeds into the truly racist elements on each side.

Now having said that, you either think perhaps you should reconsider your opinion of Obama, or you must believe that despite growing upon in a completely white family most of his young life, he has somehow managed to be converted into a racist black extremist who hates his own mother, hates his own grandparents, has managed to keep his true agenda hidden well enough to be elected to the U.S. Senate in Illinois, and is making those type statements above as a cover.

And if you believe the latter, you're just another conspiracy loon and there's no reason to bother.

He called his grandmother, "a typical white person". He stated in 'Dreams from my Father' the he ceased to advertise his mother's race at age 12 or 13.:eusa_whistle:

He called his grandmother, "a typical white person". He stated in 'Dreams from my Father' the he ceased to advertise his mother's race at age 12 or 13.:eusa_whistle:

And we're not taking anything out of context here are we? Why would he cease to advertise his mother's race? I would suspect it was because living in polynesian cultures, his light skin allowed him to blend in and not stand out as either black or white. Give me some context. And what about his grandmother would make her not be typical?

Malcolm X's mother was from Granada. She only looked white. Obama's mother was from Kansas.

Malcolm's father was part of his early life. Three of his uncles were killed by white people, including one who was lynched. His father was a black activist who died under what those in Malcolm's community said were suspicious circumstances. By the time he was 13 his mother was committed to a mental hospital and he was in foster care.
Obama's mother was an anthropologist. His father left by the time he was 2.

Yeah, I can see the similarities here...

geez..

I wasn't looking for similarities, only that one's mother being white doesn't automatically mean one is not racist.
Spike Lee's film (which should have won Denzel an oscar and perhaps Lee) portrayed her as white. I assumed it was accurate because it was based on the autobiography.

Thanks for the help, I will keep that in mind the next time I post a new thread. Again I am very sorry, if I misled you as to what the thread contained....

Now do you have any comments based on the video in the original post that started the thread? Which outlined the various religious connections of Obama that spouted racist and anti-American comments.

jreeves .... give it up, ok? We all do NOT agree with you. So ... I refer you back to my original response ........http://www.usmessageboard.com/elections-2008/61810-you-gotta-have-faith.html#post853166

So to answer you once again .... NO! What you are saying about Obama does not bother me anymore ... that what is being said about McCain. Does that bother you in the least?

Did I say this in English :confused: Did you understand what I am saying :confused:

If you have more to say ... have at it! :eusa_whistle: Stick a fork in me, I am done! :eusa_eh:

I wasn't looking for similarities, only that one's mother being white doesn't automatically mean one is not racist.

Point taken.

However, I was trying to emphasize more of the fact that he wasn't just born to a white mother, but raised and nurtured by white people. I think that does make a difference. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, just that the secret black militant society in Hawaii recruiting him and changing his beliefs while he lives with his white grandparents, seems a little unreal. And while there are radicals on ivy league campuses, it just doesn't seem to fit that the black militant activists were so organized and subversive when he was at Columbia in the 80's. I mean, was anything that subtle in the 80's? :) I am just trying to peg down the time line where he covertly became indoctrinated and began hating his mother and grandparents but keeping it a secret- while still graduating from Columbia and later graduating cum laude from Harvard Law while being editor then president of Harvard Law Review. Racist or not, he's a hell of a multitasker. lol

Last edited:
Point taken.

However, I was trying to emphasize more of the fact that he wasn't just born to a white mother, but raised and nurtured by white people. I think that does make a difference. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, just that the secret black militant society in Hawaii recruiting him and changing his beliefs while he lives with his white grandparents, seems a little unreal. And while there are radicals on ivy league campuses, it just doesn't seem to fit that the black militant activists were so organized and subversive when he was at Columbia in the 80's. I mean, was anything that subtle in the 80's? :) I am just trying to peg down the time line where he covertly became indoctrinated and began hating his mother and grandparents but keeping it a secret- while still graduating from Columbia and later graduating cum laude from Harvard Law while being editor then president of Harvard Law Review. Racist or not, he's a hell of a multitasker. lol

I have never heard Obama himself say anything racist. I do wonder, though, what he saw in Rev. Wright and why he would raise his children in that environment.

And we're not taking anything out of context here are we? Why would he cease to advertise his mother's race? I would suspect it was because living in polynesian cultures, his light skin allowed him to blend in and not stand out as either black or white. Give me some context. And what about his grandmother would make her not be typical?

If so please explain how so? He ceased to advertise his mother's race because by doing so he would ingratiating himself to whites(those are his words).

The comment referring to his grandmother being a "typical white person" is a definite stereotype.

I have never heard Obama himself say anything racist. I do wonder, though, what he saw in Rev. Wright and why he would raise his children in that environment.

I have my doubts about whether he saw anything in Wright, and exactly how deep his faith goest. However, some of the reaction to Wright's comments were blown out of proportion, just like some of his comments were over the top. I would have to watch some more to remember all he said, but take for instance this quote:

Don't let anybody make you think God chose America as his divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with justice and it seems I can hear God saying to America "you are too arrogant, and if you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power, and I will place it in the hands of a nation that doesn't even know my name.

That's not Wright. That's Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. but compare it to Wright's "God damn America" tirade about god punishing us for war and the message starts looking more similar. As far as the rich white people controlling the country, I think you'd be hard pressed to find me a time when rich white people didn't control the country.

In any case, I'm not saying I agree with the overall message Wright was putting out, but I don't think Obama was necessarily either. Sometimes it's more about the church. Probably when Wright would go off on a little crazy trip Obama just let it slide by if he was paying attention at all. I've known friends who were not as conservative as the evangelical churches they attended, and on occasion they would mention some pretty uncomfortable stuff in some of these small white churches in the south that my friends just let roll on by, because it wasn't always crazy stuff.

In any case, I don't feel very American personally giving Obama a religion test for office. I mean let's face it, Obama had a ranting religious nut, McCain was endorsed by apocalyptic religious nuts, Biden has catholic nuts, and Palin was healed of witches by a foreign religious nut. Yet studies have shown that people in this country would elect a mulim before an atheist. You got to wonder...

If so please explain how so? He ceased to advertise his mother's race because by doing so he would ingratiating himself to whites(those are his words).

The comment referring to his grandmother being a "typical white person" is a definite stereotype.

Ok, that little squiggly line with a dot is a question mark. I was asking if you were taking it out of context. I don't have a copy of the book here with me. I generally make it a rule not to trust a quote unless a paragraph can be provided at minimum. I've seen too many quotes taken out of context to twist their meanings. For example the famous Einstein quote about "science without religion is blind and religion without science is lame" is frequently used as an example of Einstein's belief in religion. Sound plausible. Those are his words. Go back and read the essay they're taken from and its about how religion doesn't really exist, how it was made up by early man and based simply upon man's awe and incomprehension of the universe. He then states that the true core of "religion" is nothing supernatural but simply that feeling of awe and makes the statement I quoted using that meaning of religion. Completely different than how the sentence is portrayed.
Sorry, tangent for a pet peeve.

I understand what you may be trying to say about the grandmother comment being stereotyping, but if I say the typical white male is middle class, between 5'8 and 6' tall, etc...am I being stereotypical? Do you think he meant it as an insult to his grandmother? I'm white and it never even occured to me that he was stereotyping in that remark. I just assumed that he was clarifying to people who didn't know that his grandmother was white- that there wasn't anything extraordinary about her in general. I mean a white woman from kansas, married to a white man, middle class, etc... you know, typical.

New Topics

Forum List

Back