You go, Gore! ... Big Al, gets pissed off.

bobbymcgill

Aug 23, 2008
A fired-up Al Gore encouraged American youth to carry out acts of civil disobedience if new coal plants don't implement measures to decrease the emission of hazardous carbons.

Sharing the stage with U2's Bono, Gore told a gathering at the Clinton Global Initiative, "If you're a young person looking at the future of this planet and looking at what is being done right now, and not done, I believe we have reached the stage where it is time for civil disobedience to prevent the construction of new coal plants that do not have carbon capture and sequestration." The crowd roared with approval.

He and Bono then lit candles and joined in a seance attempting to channel the soul of Woody Guthrie. :eusa_clap:

But seriously, Big Al is right --this is a problem that needs to be addressed. If not by reason then by riot. Perhaps it is time for some picket-lines, campfires and cheesy folk songs to stir things up.

Not for me of course, but I will surely lend my support by watching the demonstrations on TV with Big Al while we toss back a couple of Odwalla's and vodka. :D

Conservative bloggers and commentators of course jumped all over Al and his call to arms --calling him a nutcase and saying that "Gore's continuing intellectual decline is actually rather entertaining."

Steven Miller, commenting on a Wall Street Journal article offered these choice thoughts on the Gore-ster, "I would like to know, would garlic hep get rid of this buffoon?"

To Steven I say, your lack of success with women and dwindling friend base might be attributed to something other than said spice which you reference.

Ok, enough picking on angry little Stevie.

As usual, this is all about money --and reasonably so. "Scrubbing" and "sequestration" methods, which take the fumes from coal processing and inject them back into the earth, will bring about higher prices. A study by the International Energy Agency estimated the current cost of processing runs at about $1,371 per kilo-Wat and a comparable system that captures carbon could cost $1,860 per kilo-wat.

As with most new technology, the costs will gradually decrease over time, but if we don't take measures to clean the air, over time we will gradually decrease.

Is it such a difficult choice?

The pro-coal, anti-brain cell group can issue all the clever repartee they like (much like myself), but at some point we should stop listening to lobbyist and blowhards and start listening to the vast majority of scientists who say that while there is some truth to global warming being a natural phenomena, the bulk of the responsibility falls squarely on us.

Is it so big a problem that we can't do something? I mean, geez, we sent a man to the moon 40 years ago. And Big Al invented the Internet! You'd think being the smart monkeys that we are, that we could figure this thing out.

Bobby McGill
Idle Wordship- News and Commentary

gee, I wonder if Al Bore will protest at my house when I install my coal/oil burning furnace this month

View attachment 5930

right now with anthracite at 275 per ton, heating oil would have to be 1.40 per gallon and natural gas would have to be 91 cents per gallon to even compete with coal.

so let Al protest coal and drive the price down even more for me:eusa_clap:

Forum List

Back