You go back in time and become a delegate at the Constitutional Convention

Discussion in 'US Constitution' started by outlier, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Taz

Taz Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,647
    So you don't believe the bible is true either, and that's where the story of creation comes from. I'm listening to the video now, but it doesn't seem relevant, everyone needs to attribute a different meaning to what is written, so basically, NOBODY believes that the bible is true.

2. Taz

Taz Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,647
    Maybe you should try some, it might help you stay on topic. :biggrin:

3. Votto

Votto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,201
    You are listening to the video now?

You nave not watched the video, in other words. FYI, there are 5 of them and should come one after the other.

Of course, if you don't have the time I can just summarize it for you.

Schroeder looked at ancient rabbinical writings on Genesis and discovered that the consensus was that the Earth was not made in only 6 days.

If you look at the Hebrew terms for the days in Genesis, what you will discover is that the terms "morning" and "evening" can be translated "chaos" and "order".

Then when man is made, the terms used to denote the passage of time changes as we are given a second clock to measure time. The generations from Adam measure about 6000 years.

Now as for Adam's creation, these same rabbis came to the startling conclusion that there may have been other humanoids around. In essence, Adam became man only when God breathed his spirit into him.

Schroeder points to these rabbinical writings to show that he is not just pulling his theories out of thin air to match modern science because these same conclusions were reached by rabbis pre-modern science.

Then he comes up with his own clock from the beginning of creation. Using his scientific knowledge, he hypothesized that with each day time halves. This means that the first day was 8 billion years, the second day was 4 billion years, and the third day was 2 billion years, etc. If you use his clock then the scientific calendar matches the Bible calendar.

As he points out, time is relative and is manipulated by such things as speed and gravity. Time is different all throughout the universe.

4. Hiryuu

Hiryuu Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,048

I would not try to argue with the good delegate from the State of What If regarding his concerns for portions of the country I would be attempting to unite, to deicide they could dissolve such a Union. For all particle purposes if would defeat the purpose of having a Union in the first place and cause conflict along designated borders. None of which should really matter if the Federal Government adheres to the 10th Amendment and allows the States and/or People more powers than the Federal Government to start with.

I would however suggest we include Balanced Budget requirements on Congress when we get to Article 1, Sections 8 and 9.

5. Taz

Taz Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,647
    Humans were dumb ape-like beings for millions of years until around 100,000 years ago or so when we became an "intelligent" species. To me, it sounds like alien intervention, but not of the supernatural kind, just regular aliens. But that aside, basically, everyone needs to make up an alternate meaning to the Torah/bible because they agree that it makes no sense as written. The guy makes up his own calendar to fit with science with his first day was 8 billion years long... Totally made up nonsense.

6. candycorn

candycorn Alis volat propriis

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,986
    Well, I don't see in Article I where it says anything about a bill having to get a majority to pass into law. In other words, it seems to me that if the House or Senate leadership was keen on the idea and could get their members to go along...they could make it to where if a bill gets one vote, it passes. Meaning a 1-99 vote would mean the bill passes the chamber. Or, they could implement a rule that says bills must be unanimous meaning that a 99-1 vote fails. I stand to be corrected on this...can anyone quote the Constitution or the amendments that ensure a 51-49 or 218-217 margin is needed?

Given that we also recently seen where the Senate refused to hold hearings on a Supreme Court justice--a pretty visible figure--based on nothing more than political interests...if I'm around at the time of the framing; I'm telling my members that we need to put some rules in the constitution to prevent such things.

7. Hiryuu

Hiryuu Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    The delegates agreed to use Parliamentarian Procedures in conducting the Constitutional Convention, and in writing the Constitutional requirements. That requires a simple majority in most cases (although I could see where it may have been a good idea to identify the actual requirement for goofballs that may choose to pretend it should be conducted any other way without specification). They went further to specify any time when a simple majority vote would not be the requirement. Article 1, Sections 3, 5 and 7 - Article 2, Section 2 – Article 5 [which covers a Constitutional Convention] , and the 12th, 14th and 25th Amendment all require super majority votes (and were identified as such).

Furthermore, Article 1, Section 5 does allow both Houses of Congress to set their own rules.

"Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behavior, and, with the Concurrence of two-thirds, expel a Member."

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  8. candycorn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,986
    "The delegates agreed to use Parliamentarian Procedures in conducting the Constitutional Convention, and in writing the Constitutional requirements. That requires a simple majority in most cases (although I could see where it may have been a good idea to identify the actual requirement for goofballs that may choose to pretend it should be conducted any other way without specification)"

Are the Parlimentary Procedures written in the Constitution...when it comes to bill consideration?

9. Hiryuu

Hiryuu Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    No, but this is ... "Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behavior, and, with the Concurrence of two-thirds, expel a Member." Which would pretty much negate the idea that it isn't covered who gets to make the rules.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  10. candycorn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,986
    So...such a 1-99 pass or 99-1 failure is possible; it's just extremely unlikely.