~You Found $10,000~

I would return the money. I know how much losing $10,000 can destroy you.

When I was in college, I was at an amusement park and got on the bumper cars. When I was climbing in the car there was a fat wallet on the seat. I looked quick and saw it had about $600 in it. Back in the 70s, that $600 would have paid my college tuition. I never thought twice about it and turned the money in as soon as the ride was over

:clap2:

About two years ago, I put my wallet on top of my car, while putting groceries, into it. Then, without thinking, I drove off and after about 2 minutes, realized I had not taken the wallet off the car. Turned around, ran frantically into the store, where someone HAD turned it in, but removed the two 20 dollar bills that were in it.

I had mixed emotions about the theft, but after sorting it out in my head, decided to be grateful that I had all my other precious things I keep in my wallet, and hoped the money, helped someone out. Win/Win.

Interesting how some attempt to justify and rationalize their behavior. All this being hypothetical though, it proves nothing other than some of us KNOW better and some don't.

Whether we would DO the better or not would have to be put to the test to know the truth, and under different varying scenarios. 20 years ago I might have kept it, if I found it on a really bad day (and I had many back then). Today that's a week vacation of pocket change, merely a months pay for many, and not worth the risks (it could be stolen and traceable).

Those that would surely keep it would be those that have probably already sold and whored their soul, self-respect, and honor. Now, if I found a pound of weed instead, that would be different (and no, I wouldn't sell it either :tongue: ). :lol:

Absolutely would return it. If found w/no ID would do my best to track down the owner.

We found a wallet outside of a Wawa down the shore a few years back. Had a ss card in it, credit cards, some cash, a ticket (he'd been in an accident shortly prior). We tracked down the owner (a 18 yr old kid who was headed off to boot camp in a few weeks), spoke with his mom and returned it. Told her to tell him to get that ss card out of there! Never did get a thank you from him though. :doubt:

I forgot my purse in a shopping cart at the grocery store one Friday night. Called the store as soon as I got home and sure enough, someone was nice enough to have turned it in, nothing taken.

Absolutely would return it. If found w/no ID would do my best to track down the owner.

We found a wallet outside of a Wawa down the shore a few years back. Had a ss card in it, credit cards, some cash, a ticket (he'd been in an accident shortly prior). We tracked down the owner (a 18 yr old kid who was headed off to boot camp in a few weeks), spoke with his mom and returned it. Told her to tell him to get that ss card out of there! Never did get a thank you from him though. :doubt:

I forgot my purse in a shopping cart at the grocery store one Friday night. Called the store as soon as I got home and sure enough, someone was nice enough to have turned it in, nothing taken.

Yes, there is some honest folks left in the world.
I left my purse someplace, and I just knew it was going to be stolen and find the empty purse in a dumpster.
But nope, someone was so kind and turned it in for me......everything still safe inside.
So I know what it feels like to have that feeling of "OMG, all my important things have vanished"........so I know I would have to turn in a wallet or purse I found.

Of course, on the other hand.....I have had my purse stolen....and lost everything inside.....credit cards, cash, pictures, medicine......damn, what a mess!

I lost my wallet on a cross country road trip somewhere in Arkansas. I didn't have my cash in it but there were 2 credit cards, a debit card, and plenty of ways to have tracked me down and gotten it back to me. No one did.

Sorry, but if $10,000 is important enough to you, you'd be duct taping it to yourself if you're bold enough to be traveling around with that much cash on you, instead of putting it into something so easily lost from your person.

I wouldn't feel bad at all about keeping it.

Check out this article......somebody found a wallet containing $10,000 cash.....and they returned it.
Would you??

I mean most folks are going to try and make themselves look good and say "Yes" immediately.......but honestly......would you....REALLY??

Wallet With $10,000 Left In Laguna Beach Returned To Owner By Good Samaritan

We were having lunch at the cafe on top of the fairway market in NYC..... across from us was a (sounded German) couple.... they got up and walked out. They also left a small bag on the floor.

I picked it up and looked in....i know noise....and what was there looked like all of their travel money..... i would say close to 10k. And yes i turned it in....

Found a woman's wallet in the basket in the parking lot of the grocery...... OMG it was this woman's life!!! Cash, loads of credit cards, drivers license... the works. OK... it was on the way home so i was just going to drop it off..... but she had a big ass mean dog in the front yard and i was not going to mess with that! I took to the police station to let them deal with giving it back! So i give it to the cop...She of course thinks ive taken all the cash out.... She looks in with a surprised look... yeah.. i know... being honest never pays off.... the cash was still in it.

so yes.... really really.

I'd look at the ID inside the wallet and go from there. An old person or someone in the downs OK. A murkin obviously loaded ? Fuckem. Only an idiot carries that kind of cash to begin with.
I keep close to ten grand at hand....always...but not in my fucking wallet.

I would return the money. I know how much losing $10,000 can destroy you.

When I was in college, I was at an amusement park and got on the bumper cars. When I was climbing in the car there was a fat wallet on the seat. I looked quick and saw it had about $600 in it. Back in the 70s, that $600 would have paid my college tuition. I never thought twice about it and turned the money in as soon as the ride was over

:clap2:

About two years ago, I put my wallet on top of my car, while putting groceries, into it. Then, without thinking, I drove off and after about 2 minutes, realized I had not taken the wallet off the car. Turned around, ran frantically into the store, where someone HAD turned it in, but removed the two 20 dollar bills that were in it.

I had mixed emotions about the theft, but after sorting it out in my head, decided to be grateful that I had all my other precious things I keep in my wallet, and hoped the money, helped someone out. Win/Win.

Same thing happened to my sister.... and as soon as she realized what happened she canceled all of her cards..... in two hours who ever had found it has spent thousands.

Check out this article......somebody found a wallet containing $10,000 cash.....and they returned it.
Would you??

I mean most folks are going to try and make themselves look good and say "Yes" immediately.......but honestly......would you....REALLY??

Wallet With $10,000 Left In Laguna Beach Returned To Owner By Good Samaritan

Yes, without a doubt.

First, I would not even count the money in the wallet. This would be to prevent the temptation not to return it. I would only open the wallet to get the guys address so that I could return it.

I actually had something similar happen several years ago. My daughter found an envelope with cash and checks in it for a school fundraiser. We could have taken the cash and tossed the envelope or returned it without the cash and said it only contained the checks. I didn't count the cash. I went the the school office and returned every dime of it. Turns out it was only a couple of hundred bucks, but I could have used the cash... who couldn't?

Immie

Forum List

Back