You folks do realize that...

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
Fox aka Rupert Murdoch owns the Wall Street Journal and Dow Jones Stock exchange don't you?
Think about it a bit.

Murdoch does not own the stock exchanges.

Murdoch owns Dow Jones co, publishers of Barrons, the Wall St Journal and a host of community newspapers on the NE coast.

Dow and Jones owned the WSJ back when it was first set up as a stock tip sheet. Their investing theory was that the market followed the path of the major companies in the market. Their paper began the practice of publishing a set of average prices for utility, Railroad, banking and Industrial stocks. Originally it was 20 of each, but later it got cut down to 15 utilities and railroads, but the industrial average was expanded to 30.

Every so often they changed the divisor to reflect stock splits, mergers, acquisitions and bankruptcies. None of the original 20 companies is still in business, except as subsidiaries of other companies, or firms which have been taken private.

The stock exchanges are each private membership corporations. Dow Jones is not a member of any of them.

That said, the Barron Family, which owned the Dow Jones company from roughly 1931 to 2008 when they sold out to Murdoch, is quite public about its seller's remorse on the deal

Fox aka Rupert Murdoch owns the Wall Street Journal and Dow Jones Stock exchange don't you?
Think about it a bit.

Yes, however, with the correction that Baruch made. I do get your point, and I agree with it.

The Wall St Journal is a general circulation daily newspaper geared to the investment community. Barrons is a weekly newsprint paper geared to the same community. While they have a nationwide subscriber base, as a proportion of the us Population, their influence is kind of small.

I am still trying to figure out your point about Rupert Murdoch owning a set of newspapers focused on a very small segment of the population. How is his ownership of Dow Jones and Co of more relevance than his ownership of any other subsidiary? Would you get all bent out of shape if he bought Science Fiction News? Cat Fancy?

Lefties seem acutely attuned to ownership of certain media outlets. I wonder why? CBS tried to rig a presidential election with forged documents but I have no idea who owns the controlling share in the corporation. Who owns NBC or CBS or ABC? I know that taxpayers support PBS and that the Soros propaganda empire including Media Matters is exempt from paying taxes.

The Wall St Journal is a general circulation daily newspaper geared to the investment community. Barrons is a weekly newsprint paper geared to the same community. While they have a nationwide subscriber base, as a proportion of the us Population, their influence is kind of small.

I am still trying to figure out your point about Rupert Murdoch owning a set of newspapers focused on a very small segment of the population. How is his ownership of Dow Jones and Co of more relevance than his ownership of any other subsidiary? Would you get all bent out of shape if he bought Science Fiction News? Cat Fancy?

I'm fairly certain the WSJ is once again the largest circulation daily in the country.

Wall St Journal has a national circulation of 2 million. US today has a circulation of 1,900,000. New York times has a circulation of 937,000.

About 120 million voted in the last election. WSJ reaches less than 2%.

The New York Times is a local newspaper in the nation's largest city.

Wall St Journal has a national circulation of 2 million. US today has a circulation of 1,900,000. New York times has a circulation of 937,000.

and that 2% are the movers and shakers in power who pretty much run our finiancial industry and many others.

Then why is it for sale in just about every airport in the country?

USA today only has such a large circulation becuase all the upscale hotels/motels buy and give complimentary copies out.

Forum List

Back