You don't have to be American to appreciate this one

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
Sorry of you posted this one already Bonnie.

Blue America: The land of the easily offended
Dennis Prager

Commentators on our country explain our blue-red division in many ways -- liberal-conservative; secular-religious; North-South; coasts-heartland; singles-married with children.

I propose one more explanation: the easily offended-the not so easily offended.

With the acknowledgment that there are many individual exceptions, a major defining characteristic of modern-day liberalism is the ease with which liberals take offense personally and/or on behalf of others.

Liberals regularly portray as offended women, African Americans, Jews, American Indians, gays and every other group liberals declare a minority, i.e., any group that votes Democrat -- no group that votes Republican, such as Mormons, Cuban Americans and Vietnamese Americans, is considered a "minority." All other groups are constantly warned that almost anything they say that is not patronizing of those groups is offensive (and therefore subject to litigation).

Article

Liberals don't consider Cubans and Vietnamese minorities...? Ok, this article lost a lot of steam right off the bat =P :poke:

"I propose one more explanation: the easily offended-the not so easily offended."

THAT is the key to the liberal assault on traditional American values. They pretend that they are offended. By doing so, they gain the status of victim. By being a victim, they can demand special status and "protection" from the federal government. By being a victim, they can demand that the majority cease any activity which these "victims" find "offensive". It's a game the libs have played for at least twenty years and they have it perfected.

It's time that conservatives get wise, stop playing the game and start flipping them the finger.

musicman said:
The fact that they typically vote Republican earns them a demotion to "Uncle Tom" status.

Uncle Tom is one of the best books I've ever read, too bad it's taken on such a derogatory meaning.

Said1 said:
Uncle Tom is one of the best books I've ever read, too bad it's taken on such a derogatory meaning.

Too damn right, Said1! The surest way to ruin something cool is to politicize it.

Puh-leeze! Do I have to mention Janet Jackson's boobs again? All that whining and sniveling wasn't coming from the blue states, it was coming from the red states in the south. So were the lawsuits. How about all these people who take offense when two gay men or lesbians want to get married? You don't hear to many blue staters being offended by that either.

Now to be really serious, this is a case of a writer taking one extreme and attempting to paint everyone who leans in that general direction with the same brush. I don't think every Republican is Pat Robertson. I also know that every Democrat isn't Hillary Clinton. About 95% of us fall somewhere in between.

What's more interesting? This author is taking offense at those who get offended!

acludem

acludem said:
Puh-leeze! Do I have to mention Janet Jackson's boobs again? All that whining and sniveling wasn't coming from the blue states, it was coming from the red states in the south. So were the lawsuits. How about all these people who take offense when two gay men or lesbians want to get married? You don't hear to many blue staters being offended by that either.

Now to be really serious, this is a case of a writer taking one extreme and attempting to paint everyone who leans in that general direction with the same brush. I don't think every Republican is Pat Robertson. I also know that every Democrat isn't Hillary Clinton. About 95% of us fall somewhere in between.

What's more interesting? This author is taking offense at those who get offended!

acludem

Well, you conveniently forgot Prager's statement, "WITH THE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT THAT THERE ARE MANY INDIVIDUAL EXCEPTIONS, a major defining characteristic of modern-day liberalism is the ease with which liberals take offense personally and/or on behalf of others."

It's also interesting that the only examples you could cite of red state sensitivity involved parents just trying to protect their children from the wretched excesses of the sex-obsessed left. "Whining and sniveling", I believe you called it? Really appreciate the sympathy and understanding, there, Acludem. Nice.

You're so predictable: Dilute, deflect, misdirect - right out of the handbook. Welcome back, I guess.

The fact that Republican leaders as a group pressured the FCC hardly should hardly be called an "individual exception".

The right gets offended at certain things, the left gets offended at other things, especially on the extremes. This writer's insinuation that the right as a whole doesn't get offended at anything is simply folly.

acludem

acludem said:
The fact that Republican leaders as a group pressured the FCC hardly should hardly be called an "individual exception".

The right gets offended at certain things, the left gets offended at other things, especially on the extremes. This writer's insinuation that the right as a whole doesn't get offended at anything is simply folly.

acludem

You have me at a disadvantage. Pressured the FCC? Would you please elaborate?

Forum List

Back