"You Didn‘t Build That"

What part of "You didn't build that." are we missing?
He didn't say you didn't build them, those or any other plural.
He said "That" a singular word and he sure in hell was talking about the bussiness and not infrastructure. It is what he truly believes. He had to back track when there was a bigger backlash then he ever anticipated.

"The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

But instead the rabid right want to take a slight gramatical misstep and turn it into a campaign slogan. Looks like it worked on a certain small segment.

Slight misstep my ass. And there are plenty of people that built there own businesses without any help. And why does Obama keep getting passes on his missteps yet Romney gets drilled for days on end?

Built their businesses without any help? Oh....you mean they personally built the roads that either get their product out or their customers in? They built the power grid that powers their business? They built the Internet that is so valuable to modern business? Water and sewage? How about trash removal? I guess they built that too....all on their own. All of those things that I mentioned HELPS businesses.....immeasurably.

Except.....he hasn't raised taxes. You lose.

Except, he wants to. Look at any ad: "ask the wealthy to pay more" or "their fair share." Obamacare: major tax hike.

Sorry.....just wants to go back to what it was before the tax cuts. Can your brain wrap around that concept? Or ......are you like a puppy who thinks that tail he chases is a new development?

He was absolutely correct in what he said - and he DID mention the "individual" in that paragraph. No business could succeed without the public works that all of our taxes built.

And no public works could exist without the people that work to fund it. Let's not act like the government gets it's money off trees in the white house backyard. Government = public, therefore, government is for people, all the people, successful or not. Well, that's the theory anyway.

The message i got from the speech: "Lots of people work hard but some people are more successful than others and that's not fair considering everyone lives in America." It supports the theory that he's a big tax and spend wealth redistributionist.

Not for lack of trying. Did you even bother to read his entire roads and bridges speech? The whole point of that speech was to convince everyone to tax successful people "a little bit more".

Read the goddam thing. Here, I will lead you to the water, horse: Remarks by the President at a Campaign Event in Roanoke, Virginia | The White House

Built their businesses without any help? Oh....you mean they personally built the roads that either get their product out or their customers in? They built the power grid that powers their business? They built the Internet that is so valuable to modern business? Water and sewage? How about trash removal? I guess they built that too....all on their own. All of those things that I mentioned HELPS businesses.....immeasurably.

And everyone has equal access to those. Think about it like a math equation: you've got your constants and your variables. Constants for everyone in America: public infrastructure. The variables in this equation are what leads to individual success: things like intelligence, determination, work ethic and just plain luck.

Except, he wants to. Look at any ad: "ask the wealthy to pay more" or "their fair share." Obamacare: major tax hike.

Sorry.....just wants to go back to what it was before the tax cuts. Can your brain wrap around that concept? Or ......are you like a puppy who thinks that tail he chases is a new development?

Another lie. He only wants to let the tax cuts on the top bracket expire. He is targeting successful people for a special tax hike just for them.

He is a class warrior.

Sorry.....just wants to go back to what it was before the tax cuts.

Here, let's try this.

If you have a glass of water, drink all of it, then want more water, don't you need to increase or raise the amount of water in your glass before you can drink more water from it?

Point being, it doesn't matter one bit that taxes were higher sometime in the past. Taxes are what they are now, he wants to raise them from where they are right now. That's called "he wants to raise taxes."

If the economy was so terrific under the tax system we had under Clinton, why isn't Obama calling for ALL OF US to return to those rates?

Hmmm...

Christ, he has you dumbshits so brainwashed you think only the rich got Bush Tax Cuts™.

If the rich are "stealing" a trillion dollars of revenues with their Bush Tax Cuts™, how much are the REST OF US stealing?

Hmmmm...

Another lie. He only wants to let the tax cuts on the top bracket expire. He is targeting successful people for a special tax hike just for them.

He is a class warrior.

Your facts are in order...but your reasoning is fucked.

The top bracket has not paid the price in this recession. If the burden remains on the backs of middle class Americans.....the top bracket will eventually feel it much worse than a three percent hike on earned income OVER 250k.

Raising taxes on the lower brackets while giving more breaks to the top bracket ( as Romney would have us do ) is the alternative. The choice is easy.

You need to get off your high horse and stop telling people what to think. Different people interpret things differently.

What is there to "interpret"? You either understand what is being said, or you don't. My god, did any of you take college english classes? There is only one context for what was said. It is not open to "interpretation". Jesus H Christ... You people will spin anything.

You need to get off your high horse and stop telling people what to think. Different people interpret things differently.

What is there to "interpret"? You either understand what is being said, or you don't. My god, did any of you take college english classes? There is only one context for what was said. It is not open to "interpretation". Jesus H Christ... You people will spin anything.

I was talking about the speech as a whole. you have a certain mindset that leads you to interpret the message one way and i have mine. This isn't something so cut and dry as 2+2=4.

If the economy was so terrific under the tax system we had under Clinton, why isn't Obama calling for ALL OF US to return to those rates?

Hmmm...

Christ, he has you dumbshits so brainwashed you think only the rich got Bush Tax Cuts™.

Politics, stupid.

And the fact that taking more from those of us who have lost the most is STUPID.

The context of Obama's speech was even worse than the one line gaffe.

The leties bristle when we harp on that one line.
The truth of it is that whole rant was so unbecoming a President
who is supposed to lead the country.
And for him to mock and deride business people while a crowd
stands behind him and heckles good people trying to run a business.

That was disgraceful.... :mad:

Rush is obviously slipping

In the last election he was singing "Barack the Magic Negro" and calling him Halfrican

Is he not Half African? :confused:

Just Rush playing to his base

He knows what buttons to push

So? So does Rachel Maddow. So does Ed Schultz, So does Lawrence O'Donnell. So does Chris Matthews. So does Andrea Mitchell. So does Martin Bashir. So does Al Sharpton. Shall I go on? Is there a point in there that you want to make?

More evidence today about that clip of Romney urging the crowd to chant
Romney\Ryan....

Seems like MSNBC is up to their old tricks of editing tape and misleading the audience.

And everyone has equal access to those. Think about it like a math equation: you've got your constants and your variables. Constants for everyone in America: public infrastructure. The variables in this equation are what leads to individual success: things like intelligence, determination, work ethic and just plain luck.

Equal access? yes. Equal benefit? hell no.

Anyway....You basically said the same thing that Obama said in that speech. Those "constants" that you speak of? They work for us all.....I agree. I also agree that Business people are all of the things you mentioned...But business people have something else besides those things you mentioned.

There are lots of intelligent people out there. You don't think it takes intelligence to do what I do for instance? I work with adults who are severely developmentally disabled...the group of people that I work with are not only very limited, intellectually speaking, but also have varying degrees of mental illness and volatile behavioral problems. You have to think on your feet continually to keep them, their peers and lastly yourself safe. You also have to be a teacher to help them learn new skills....again, without getting them frustrated and avoiding outbursts....and I'm a direct care staff...an aide. I'm not rich...but it's my calling. I've been doing it for 23 years, and I'm good at what I do. Intelligence alone isn't it.

Hard working/work ethic...There are blue collar workers that bust their asses everyday, rarely take a day off and never complain....Work ethic alone isn't it.

Determination? How about the Blue collar worker I mentioned above? It takes a hell of a lot of determination not to give up...making measly wages, busting their asses and not once do they give up and go onto the welfare system...there are tens of millions of people like that.

Luck? I'll give you that one.

But no, even if you combine all of those attributes...you don't necessarily come up with a successful business person. They have a calling for it....they know how to do it. Some go to school to learn it, but many businessmen aren't all that intelligent...yes, they work hard and most of them are pretty stubborn people....but the most common trait, IMO, is that they are drawn to money....That's not necessarily a bad thing...but left unchecked(which is what we pretty much have now) nothing is ever enough....it goes from self interest to greed, from greed to ruthlessness, from ruthlessness to aristocracy from aristocracy to tyranny.

Government isn't the only entity to worry about when it comes to tyranny and oppression. I think balance is the key and we've lost it....

Just Rush playing to his base

He knows what buttons to push

So? So does Rachel Maddow. So does Ed Schultz, So does Lawrence O'Donnell. So does Chris Matthews. So does Andrea Mitchell. So does Martin Bashir. So does Al Sharpton. Shall I go on? Is there a point in there that you want to make?

Who are those people? Are they on TV?

Yeh they are on the All Obama all the time network MSNBC...
or as some call them MSLSD...

Forum List

Back