"You didn't build that"; And yet..he STILL won??!!!

The wealthy have been doing all they can to beat down unions since unions were invented.

OK so the only class you care about is the 20% of the population who happen to be in a union.

What about the other 80% of the population that are victims of "the rich"?

You mean the ones that no longer have unions to represent them?

My point exactly.

So you mean that 100% of the working population used to be in unions and those evil rich people put all those other unions that used to exist out of business?

really?

Here's how:

"The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.”

But we didn't build my business together did we?

You didn't give me any money, you didn't work for me for free, you weren't going to lose your life savings if I failed. And yet you want to take credit for my success and take the fruits of may labor as compensation.

Your business can succeed without infrastructure? What kind of business is it?

You didn't build any infrastructure for me did you? And did you pay more for that infrastructure than I do?

And it doesn't matter because no one is stopping you from starting a business are they?

So you put all your money into a business, you work 100 plus hours a week for 5 years and then tell me you think that because some guy paid 5 cents in gas taxes that he deserves credit for your work.

yes, Op, oh yes--'You didn't build that...'

i could find no clarification of the intent--had to 'assume'.

"The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.”

I don't know how he could have been clearer.

Do rich people use roads and bridges the rest of us don't?

What are they extracting from your public contributions that isn't being extracted by, or available to, anyone else that justifies singling them out?

Last edited:
"If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that."

I don't know how he could have been clearer.

Here's how:

You didn't give me any money, you didn't work for me for free, you weren't going to lose your life savings if I failed. And yet you want to take credit for my success and take the fruits of may labor as compensation.

And where did you GET that money for that business? A loan perhaps? A government small business grant maybe?

What about that building you work in? Built that all by yourself, right?

Let's be real. There are lot of working parts in a business - and the business by itself is only 1 of them. Working for yourself, you have an asset - with all the risks and benefits that owning an asset entails. And if you DID lose your life savings for running it into the ground, there would be a safety net out there for you to fall into - unless you guys succeed in cutting huge holes out of it, we've got your back. Sometimes whether you like that or not.

Disingenuous bullshit overload.

The insecurities that some "business owners" have are odd to say the least.

Nobody is trying to steal your thunder. The fact is that if we did not have federal, sTate and local government in place, you would have no business. You depend on others for your success. Just like I do. Why are you unwilling to acknowledge this?

Here's how:

And where did you GET that money for that business? A loan perhaps? A government small business grant maybe?

I got the money from my savings, my partner's savings, a personal loan and some very generous lease terms from my vendors.

None of that money came from any government grant or government secured small business loan so once again you had nothing to do with my business whatsoever.
What about that building you work in? Built that all by yourself, right?

I bought a building and yes I gutted it and did all the code upgrades myself.

Let's be real. There are lot of working parts in a business - and the business by itself is only 1 of them. Working for yourself, you have an asset - with all the risks and benefits that owning an asset entails. And if you DID lose your life savings for running it into the ground, there would be a safety net out there for you to fall into - unless you guys succeed in cutting huge holes out of it, we've got your back. Sometimes whether you like that or not.

You don't have my back and stop pretending you do. None of you give a rat's ass if a guy down the street goes out of business yet you want to take the credit when he succeeds because you paid a few cents in gas taxes.

Disingenuous bullshit overload.

The insecurities that some "business owners" have are odd to say the least.

Nobody is trying to steal your thunder. The fact is that if we did not have federal, sTate and local government in place, you would have no business. You depend on others for your success. Just like I do. Why are you unwilling to acknowledge this?

Really and do those
"others" you speak of just do things for me out of the goodness of their hearts or do I compensate them to do it.

You all talk like everyone gives a business owner shit for free and therefore you deserve a cut of his profits.

You didn't build that, was one of the stupiest things I've ever heard a president say. It hurt him in the polls, and he deserved it.

I really hope he fired that speech writer.

But it's true. Most people who have successful business got a hand from the bank. Therefore they really didn't 'build that'.

The spirit of that speech, was "you're not special". that was the message he gave. He downplayed all the hard work business owners do, all the sacrifices they make and risks they take.

I think you can praise someone without the need to put others down.

That is not what I got out of it.

We, as individuals, can start businesses. But those businesses are depentdent on an infrastructure that we all contribute to. From the roads to the grid, no one is independent of society today if they wish to start and be successful in business.

Forum List

Back