"You didn't build that"; And yet..he STILL won??!!!

You didn't build that, was one of the stupiest things I've ever heard a president say. It hurt him in the polls, and he deserved it.

I really hope he fired that speech writer.

it was only "stupid" if you ignored everything else that he said.

otherwise, what's stupid is thinking he was saying what the rightwingnut loons said he was.

Well according to AmyNation it doesn't even matter what he actually said - only how it makes her feel.

ooohhhhh... ok.

did it give her a tingly feeling?

My niece remembers the communists driving through her village, the bullhorn blazing "You didn't build the roads, the government built the roads. You didn't build your homes, the government built your homes." she's terrified of Obama.

In this country, with rare exception, the government did build the roads.

No, the government didn't. The government commissioned the building of the roads on behalf of it's constituents.

That's how government works.
Government is nothing more than an agent for the people.

No shit. And the agent of the people built most all of the roads.

So, Obama dumping on business owners for taking advantage of something they commissioned the government to build for their use is why the context of the speech is worse than the single "you didn't build that" quote.

Where was he "dumping" on them and what was he "dumping" ?

How is it "worse" ?

Probably most Americans who voted actually read the full transcript and saw that the word "that" referred to something other than what FOX NEws claimed it was.

The context of the speech was worse than the quote, and remains that way.

^^^^This, exactly

The quote is clearly not talking about your business. It's not.

However the speech was awful, he tried to talk about community etc, but he did it by marginalizing the success of business owners.
How does he marginalize their success?

No, they didn't actually build the roads. The commissioned concrete pourers or paving companies to build the roads and paid those companies using their constituents' money. The government built the roads for all people to use, including business owners. Government didn't build roads for government's sake.

How is it "worse" ?

The tone of his whole speech was to marginalize the accomplishments of people who pour their hearts and souls into making a business successful; a business that likely employs other people and makes it possible for them to support their families.

But hey, you disagree. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

No, they didn't actually build the roads. The commissioned concrete pourers or paving companies to build the roads and paid those companies using their constituents' money. The government built the roads for all people to use, including business owners. Government didn't build roads for government's sake.

(OohPoo: I added underlining, bolding, and font size above

Make up your fucking mind.

The tone of his whole speech was to marginalize the accomplishments of people who pour their hearts and souls into making a business successful;

The "tone" ? What are you, my wife? Sorry but what actual WORDS did he use that marginalized their accomplishments?

Can we talk about the content of his speech or are we just gonna bullshit about how it makes you FEEL ?

Last edited:

And business owners pay more in taxes to support infrastructure than does the average citizen. Funny how none of the sheep ever consider that.

How is it "worse" ?

The tone of his whole speech was to marginalize the accomplishments of people who pour their hearts and souls into making a business successful; a business that likely employs other people and makes it possible for them to support their families.

But hey, you disagree. Different strokes for different folks.

Bam Bam and the dimwitcraps have to take credit for things they don't do themselves just like they have to blame everyone else for things they couldn't do.

The fact is that any one of the sheep could have risked every dime they had and could have worked 100 hours a week for four or five years to open a business but they didn't and now the sheep want to take more from those who took the risks because they have convinced themselves they are responsible for a business owners success.

“Affirmation without discipline is the beginning of delusion.” -Jim Rohn-

And the dimwitcraps are a delusional bunch

Last edited:
Obama handed the GOP the golden opportunity..over and over...on a silver platter:

- Obamacare
- "You didn't build that"
- Benghazi
- Fast and furious
- Oil spill
- "The police acted stupidly" (which the GOP didnt really push, dont know why)
- Oil pipeline not built
- Apology tour
- Credit downgrade

I could go on and on.

But point is....GOP...are you guys really that big of a group of fuckups that you couldnt win wiith all that handed to you? How bad would Bill Clinton have beat you guys haha?

It’s not the republicans’ fault the voters correctly understood the items you list were non-issues, or had nothing to do with Obama, such as the credit downgrade and oil spill.

I'd agree with that. If the GOP had brought a believable and unifying message, and if that message wasn't changed on a daily basis, and if the explanation of that message wasn't "It's on my website", MAYBE 3 million more people might have bought into the story.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda at this point though.

Obama handed the GOP the golden opportunity..over and over...on a silver platter:

- Obamacare
- "You didn't build that"
- Benghazi
- Fast and furious
- Oil spill
- "The police acted stupidly" (which the GOP didnt really push, dont know why)
- Oil pipeline not built
- Apology tour
- Credit downgrade

I could go on and on.

But point is....GOP...are you guys really that big of a group of fuckups that you couldnt win wiith all that handed to you? How bad would Bill Clinton have beat you guys haha?

Well this poc President bought his second term with obamaphones--cash for clunkers that ended up buying more foreign made cars than American--along with 99 weeks of unemployment insurance--47 million Americans on food stamps--many of whom really didn't mind this two year paid for by taxpayer dollars vacation.

IOW--it was all the FREE STUFF--Stupid---btw (SOON to come to a screeching halt on January 1st when the sequestration takes place.)

holb_c10407320121010120100.jpg

And if General Petraeous starts singing like a canary tomorrow--it ends before Obama is even sworn in on the 21 of January.

The spirit of that speech, was "you're not special". that was the message he gave. He downplayed all the hard work business owners do, all the sacrifices they make and risks they take.

I think you can praise someone without the need to put others down.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Here are all his remarks that day.

Remarks by the President at a Campaign Event in Roanoke, Virginia | The White House

Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.

Business owners arent tax payers? They don't work to pay for those roads and bridges?

I listened to the speech, a few times. I agree when someone points to that specific phrase "you didn't build that" and tries to say he meant your business, they are taking it out of context, as he clearly means roads and bridges.

However, the feeling of the speech, start to finish, is "you didn't build your business"

Who said business owner aren't tax payers. Of course they are. They, along with all the other tax payers helped built this incredible system we have that is the envy of the world. To narrow his remarks that day to a catch phrase of those five words is not only outlandish to me but also it is contrary to known reality.

(OohPoo: I added underlining, bolding, and font size above

Make up your fucking mind.

The tone of his whole speech was to marginalize the accomplishments of people who pour their hearts and souls into making a business successful;

The "tone" ? What are you, my wife? Sorry but what actual WORDS did he use that marginalized their accomplishments?

Can we talk about the content of his speech or are we just gonna bullshit about how it makes you FEEL ?

They feel marginalize by Fauxes reporting on the comments made that day.

Turn off Fox.
It's bad News for America.

Only a freaking moron would ignore the fact that this past election had nothing to do with anything other then a plebiscite against a minority of successful accomplished individuals and those that were not for reasons of their own choosing. It's called class warfare and your Messiah is accomplished in one area, knows how to exploit it.

As for who built the roads and comments as to the effect of you didn't build this, well slugger, who paid for it, those that paid, continue to pay, or those that do not, and most importantly at what rate?

Yes you can fool all the people all the time, all you need is the media, we now have proof!

Only a freaking moron would ignore the fact that this past election had nothing to do with anything other then a plebiscite against a minority of successful accomplished individuals and those that were not for reasons of their own choosing. It's called class warfare and your Messiah is accomplished in one area, knows how to exploit it.

As for who built the roads and comments as to the effect of you didn't build this, well slugger, who paid for it, those that paid, continue to pay, or those that do not, and most importantly at what rate?

Yes you can fool all the people all the time, all you need is the media, we now have proof!

The class war was started by the wealthy.

How much of your money has the government taken from you to give to a rich guy?

How much of your money has the government taken from you to give to a rich guy?

I have no idea.

I accept that some people heard that speech, and thought "that's so true".

However, considering Obama's approval rating among business owners plummeted after that speech, I think it's safe to say, not everyone walked away thinking "gee, I haven't thanked my next door neighbor for this business he helped me build".

I accept that some people heard that speech, and thought "that's so true".

However, considering Obama's approval rating among business owners plummeted after that speech, I think it's safe to say, not everyone walked away thinking "gee, I haven't thanked my next door neighbor for this business he helped me build".

So Obama's speech was bad because he didn't take into account FOX News would tell everyone to ignore its content and just feel bad about it?

Probably most Americans who voted actually read the full transcript and saw that the word "that" referred to something other than what FOX NEws claimed it was.

The context of the speech was worse than the quote, and remains that way.

Worse how?

Worse because of the inherent fallacy. Everyone has access to roads and bridges, not rich people exclusively.

Rich people didn't get rich because they had some kind of special access to roads and bridges. They got rich because they took big risks. And they deserve to reap the reward of those risks, not have some class warfare asshole tell them they have to share those rewards with people who did not take the risks.

If those people want more money, there's the road. Go for it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back