"You didn't build that"; And yet..he STILL won??!!!

You didn't build that, was one of the stupiest things I've ever heard a president say. It hurt him in the polls, and he deserved it.

I really hope he fired that speech writer.

But it's true. Most people who have successful business got a hand from the bank. Therefore they really didn't 'build that'.

The spirit of that speech, was "you're not special". that was the message he gave. He downplayed all the hard work business owners do, all the sacrifices they make and risks they take.

I think you can praise someone without the need to put others down.

You didn't build that, was one of the stupiest things I've ever heard a president say. It hurt him in the polls, and he deserved it.

Awwwww....how sweet. This one really doesn't get it. Precious.

I get it, and anyone who does get it, should at the least, be able to recognize how stupid he sounded.

Obama handed the GOP the golden opportunity..over and over...on a silver platter:

- Obamacare
- "You didn't build that"
- Benghazi
- Fast and furious
- Oil spill
- "The police acted stupidly" (which the GOP didnt really push, dont know why)
- Oil pipeline not built
- Apology tour
- Credit downgrade

I could go on and on.

But point is....GOP...are you guys really that big of a group of fuckups that you couldnt win wiith all that handed to you? How bad would Bill Clinton have beat you guys haha?

Imagine all that ..

And when Republicans asked "Wouldn't you rather have us running things?"

America said..."Fuck NO!"

But it's true. Most people who have successful business got a hand from the bank. Therefore they really didn't 'build that'.

The spirit of that speech, was "you're not special". that was the message he gave. He downplayed all the hard work business owners do, all the sacrifices they make and risks they take.

Not in Obiedoodle's zero-sum world.

Obama handed the GOP the golden opportunity..over and over...on a silver platter:

- Obamacare
- Benghazi
- Fast and furious
- Oil spill
- Oil pipeline not built
- Apology tour
- Credit downgrade

I could go on and on.

But point is....GOP...are you guys really that big of a group of fuckups that you couldnt win wiith all that handed to you? How bad would Bill Clinton have beat you guys haha?

Probably most Americans who voted actually read the full transcript and saw that the word "that" referred to something other than what FOX NEws claimed it was.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Here are all his remarks that day.

Remarks by the President at a Campaign Event in Roanoke, Virginia | The White House

Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.

Probably most Americans who voted actually read the full transcript and saw that the word "that" referred to something other than what FOX NEws claimed it was.

The context of the speech was worse than the quote, and remains that way.

I get it, and anyone who does get it, should at the least, be able to recognize how stupid he sounded.

Sure it sounded stupid, "if" you cut out everything else he said that day.

Turn off Fox.
It's Bad News for America.

No. You do not get it. Or you do....but want to pretend otherwise.

There was not one iota of put-down in that comment. You really should revisit the entire speech and consider the words in context.

You seem like a well-meaning, thoughtful person. That makes your inability to comprehend the meaning of the President's words all the more troubling. It has to be intentional.

Last edited:

- Obamacare
- Benghazi
- Fast and furious
- Oil spill
- Oil pipeline not built
- Apology tour
- Credit downgrade

I could go on and on.

My niece remembers the communists driving through her village, the bullhorn blazing "You didn't build the roads, the government built the roads. You didn't build your homes, the government built your homes." she's terrified of Obama.

- Obamacare
- Benghazi
- Fast and furious
- Oil spill
- Oil pipeline not built
- Apology tour
- Credit downgrade

I could go on and on.

My niece remembers the communists driving through her village, the bullhorn blazing "You didn't build the roads, the government built the roads. You didn't build your homes, the government built your homes." she's terrified of Obama.

In this country, with rare exception, the government did build the roads.

it was only "stupid" if you ignored everything else that he said.

otherwise, what's stupid is thinking he was saying what the rightwingnut loons said he was.

Remarks by the President at a Campaign Event in Roanoke, Virginia | The White House

Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.

Business owners arent tax payers? They don't work to pay for those roads and bridges?

I listened to the speech, a few times. I agree when someone points to that specific phrase "you didn't build that" and tries to say he meant your business, they are taking it out of context, as he clearly means roads and bridges.

However, the feeling of the speech, start to finish, is "you didn't build your business"

Business owners arent tax payers?

Who said that?

They don't work to pay for those roads and bridges?
Did anyone say they didn't?

However, the feeling of the speech, start to finish, is "you didn't build your business"

The "feeling" of the speech? Obama is now responsible for your feelings?

- Obamacare
- Benghazi
- Fast and furious
- Oil spill
- Oil pipeline not built
- Apology tour
- Credit downgrade

I could go on and on.

In this country, with rare exception, the government did build the roads.

No, the government didn't. The government commissioned the building of the roads on behalf of it's constituents.

Government is nothing more than an agent for the people. Or, it should be anyway.

So, Obama dumping on business owners for taking advantage of something they commissioned the government to build for their use is why the context of the speech is worse than the single "you didn't build that" quote.

it was only "stupid" if you ignored everything else that he said.

otherwise, what's stupid is thinking he was saying what the rightwingnut loons said he was.

Well according to AmyNation it doesn't even matter what he actually said - only how it makes her feel.

The context of the speech was worse than the quote, and remains that way.

^^^^This, exactly

The quote is clearly not talking about your business. It's not.

However the speech was awful, he tried to talk about community etc, but he did it by marginalizing the success of business owners.

Forum List

Back