You Company Men Weigh In Here...Don't Be Bashful!

Unions and Liberals are similar...
Those in unions who don't want to work ride on the coat tails of those who do.
Liberals want the successful to pay the freight for those who just want to coast through life.

Don't strain yourself there with all that verbiage. This place has more geniuses who think a one liner will suffice than any place I've ever been in my life. Why don't you people ever actually address the body of a post instead of just trying to ignore it and cover it up? I started out in a union and I've never been around anybody who worked harder than I did....for 43 years.

Guess you've never paid attention.

Every union shop I've worked in has it's layabouts. Every single shop.

I work with a couple! :(

Hell, then those individuals working in factories in China, Mexico , Vietnam, Cambodia etc, and other 3rd world countries should really being doing quite well. Working 16 hours a day, one break and live right on the factory grounds.
Damn, those union people sure have missed the boat to prosperity.

I couldn't say whether the union my father belonged to was typical of unions, or simply sub-par. Only that he often complained about them, and considering the conditions he worked in it didn't seem like they were very helpful to me.

My father was a steel worker. He worked 12 hour days in a factory that had no heat and no air conditioning. In the summer they would open the trunk doors and my dad would bring a little fan, in the winter he would wear layers.

The work was hard ,dirty and dangerous. I cant count the number of times my dad came home with a duck tape band-aid when he should have gotten stitches.

And, he didn't like or appreciate being forced to join a union.

Oh I worked with scabs like that while I was in my 20's. The temperature during the summers in the K-25 Gaseous Diffusion Plant(ORGDP) reached the low 120's. Occasional events required that operators actually enter the cells where the ambient temperature was 140 degrees F. We had a buddy system and one man would wait outside the cell while the other worked 2 minutes at a time in the cell. We did all this in our street clothes with no masks, shoe covers or anything else. 20 years later the unions and OSHA had teamed up and the two man team concept was history. If work had to be done inside a cell the maintenance personnel, riggers and a crane operator were required to remove all the hatch covers from the top of the cells and wait an hour while the hot air escaped. A Scab is a Scab is a Scab. It's an employee who enjoys all the benefits negotiated for by the union and who is too goddamned cheap to pay his share.

I witnessed first hand what the unions did for the working man. In 1953 I hired in on what was at that time considered a good job...$1.71 an hour. Six months later the union negotiated for an increase for the classification I had hired in for and they made it retroactive. I was paid a lump sum of $0.10 per hour for every hour I had worked during that six months. When I hired in the company had a "shared" pension plan. Each pay period a deduction was taken from my check to pay my part. Two years later the union successfully negotiated for and was granted a company funded pension plan. It was also retroactive....I received a lump sum check covering every penny I had paid to that point.

When negotiations were ongoing for a new benefit for the hourly employees the salaried personnel of course were not included because they were not members of the union so every time we got a benefit the company gave the same thing to the salaried....sometimes no more than a couple of weeks before we got it.

Companies will not give or pay anyone a goddamned cent more than they have to and if I told you about the toxic and radioactive materials we worked in until the union and OSHA got some regulations in place you wouldn't believe it. It was 1974 when the company first issued individual film badges to measure what each employee was subjected to and then because of what they saw being recorded, for the first time they began to improve working conditions in the uranium plant where I was working. Before that the men working in the feed plant where the uranium was flourinated and heated would shovel the stuff with 18" spades and were not even issued shoe covers or simple masks. Those of us in the process cascade worked with our street clothes on and tracked that light green powder(uo2f2) away from the plant and into our homes. Sometimes when the atmosphere was heavy the flourine in the air was so dense that it would irritate one's nostrils.

In January 1953 about 100 of us were divided into four shifts and worked 24/7 until mid April cleaning up the biggest uraninum spill in the plant's history. There were five large individual plants at the site, K-33 at that time contained the third most construction steel of any in the world...falling behind the Eifel Tower and the Empire State Building. The effected plant(K-27) was about a quarter mile long, 100 yards wide and had three floors. An operator was heating up a 10 ton cylinder of feed material and the copper pigtail between the cylinder and the 5" feed line into the cell ruptured and all ten tons of material escaped into the plant. All the way from one end of the plant to the other and on all three floors icycles of the material condensed on the six inch contruction steel beams. The powder on the floors was half an inch deep in most places. We ran so many vacuum cleaners that one operator was assigned to the circuit breaker panel to reset them when they tripped from overload. The bags in the machines were all filled and guess what the labels we placed on each one said..."Class D Household Filth" You can bet your ass the company buried it in a land fill. To this day some of the highly radioactive materials are still being dealt with.

Beginning in the mid 1980's the company fought law suits but so many were sick and dying the DOL finally set up a fund, $140,000 per sick employee which was usually claimed by the survivors. Thank goodness in the early 60's I was caught in a broad reduction in force and managed to get another job in the computing center.

Anybody who thinks a company is their friend or that the company will do one inconvenient thing or give one extra penny to ordinary workers has their head so far up their ass that they will never see daylight again. Unions made the middle class of America and folks who can't see it just don't want to.

Anybody that thinks a union is their friend has their head just as far up their ass as any company man.

Hell....there's more high dollar crooks in the Republican house of representatives right now than there has ever been in the unions:

Last edited:
Hell, then those individuals working in factories in China, Mexico , Vietnam, Cambodia etc, and other 3rd world countries should really being doing quite well. Working 16 hours a day, one break and live right on the factory grounds.
Damn, those union people sure have missed the boat to prosperity.

Those countries are in the process of building and growing their economy; they've not yet reached the point where they can afford to have economic leaches and parasites feast off the labors of others

Sweatshops absolutely benefit developing economies. They pay higher wages and are necessary in the early stages of economic development. Economies don't suddenly transform from subsistence agrarian societies where life is dependent on the weather to a post-industrial consumer paradise. There is a reason why 100,000,000 Chinese have migrated from the inland to the manufacturing zones on the coast over the past 30 years.

I wish I could find the citation but one of the Founders said that the colonies would flourish because we were willing to work cheaper than our European counterparts

Hell....there's more high dollar crooks in the Republican house of representatives right now than there has ever been in the unions:

you mean both houses right?.....im sure that was just an oversight.....

For the first time in my life I saw and heard a political party declare that their main goal was to prevent a sitting president from being reelected.....'course I'm just 78.

Those right wing bastards have opposed every single thing the president has tried to do. It is so obvious now.....the president is trying to help the middle class, elderly and poor in this country and the Republicans have stopped approving anything which doesn't benefit corporations and the upper 2%.

Last edited:

For the first time in my life I saw and heard a political party declare that their main goal was to prevent a sitting president from being reelected.....'course I'm just 78.

Those right wing bastards have opposed every single thing the president has tried to do. It is so obvious now.....the president is trying to help the middle class, elderly and poor in this country and the Republicans have stopped approving anything which doesn't benefit corporations and the upper 2%.

Where were you in 2000 through 2008?

I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Bush had a Republican majority in the congress till Jan. 2007. That's how the taxes were cut twice for the wealthy and the debt got doubled.

....the president is trying to bury the middle class

There, fixed

There, fixed

If that's all you have why don't you go get a beer and watch some old reruns on the tube?

You and Archie Bunker would make a dream team

Last edited:

I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Bush had a Republican majority in the congress till Jan. 2007. That's how the taxes were cut twice for the wealthy and the debt got doubled.

Quote from above.

And the democrats didn't do that with Bush? Really?

Last edited:

i think the main goal of both Parties is to unseat the other Parties people and put their own people in their place.....otherwise....whats the purpose of 2 Parties?......if your 78 years old and haven't realized this yet.....then maybe its time for you to admit you escaped the Republicans only to be hoodwinked yet again by the other guys....

For the first time in my life I saw and heard a political party declare that their main goal was to prevent a sitting president from being reelected.

so when Kerry ran against Bush.....the Democrats did not care if Kerry won or lost?.....

There, fixed

If that's all you have why don't you go get a beer and watch some old reruns on the tube?

As would you and Harry Belafonte.

i think the main goal of both Parties is to unseat the other Parties people and put their own people in their place.....otherwise....whats the purpose of 2 Parties?......if your 78 years old and haven't realized this yet.....then maybe its time for you to admit you escaped the Republicans only to be hoodwinked yet again by the other guys....

Escape??

I voted for them when men like Eisenhower and Goldwater were patriots. They believed in the common good. Taxes were used in a way that benefited all Americans and not just the corporations and wealthy. I was badly fooled by Nixon and Reagan then went twenty years from 1984 to 2004 without even going to the polls. After I saw what Reagan and the Bushes did to nearly destroy common folks I began to vote again.....against them not for them.

Like I said....the party left me....not the other way around.

Last edited:

There, fixed

Biden said so himself.

Vice President Biden said Tuesday that the middle class has been "buried the last four years" --

Read more: Biden says middle class 'buried' the last 4 years, Republicans pounce | Fox News

Escape??

I voted for them when men like Eisenhower and Goldwater were patriots. They believed in the common good. Taxes were used in a way that benefited all Americans and not just the corporations and wealthy. I was badly fooled by Nixon and Reagan then went twenty years from 1984 to 2004 without even going to the polls. After I saw what Reagan and the Bushes did to nearly destroy common folks I began to vote again.....against them not for them.

Like I said....the party left me....not the other way around.

you wised up and then just walked into another Party that is just as bad......like i said earlier Gramps .....when you asked when are the people who are in the Republican going to wake up?......when are you?....

Forum List

Back