You Company Men Weigh In Here...Don't Be Bashful!

Cammmpbell

Sep 13, 2011
I witnessed first hand what the unions did for the working man. In 1953 I hired in on what was at that time considered a good job...$1.71 an hour. Six months later the union negotiated for an increase for the classification I had hired in for and they made it retroactive. I was paid a lump sum of $0.10 per hour for every hour I had worked during that six months. When I hired in the company had a "shared" pension plan. Each pay period a deduction was taken from my check to pay my part. Two years later the union successfully negotiated for and was granted a company funded pension plan. It was also retroactive....I received a lump sum check covering every penny I had paid to that point.

When negotiations were ongoing for a new benefit for the hourly employees the salaried personnel of course were not included because they were not members of the union so every time we got a benefit the company gave the same thing to the salaried....sometimes no more than a couple of weeks before we got it.

Companies will not give or pay anyone a goddamned cent more than they have to and if I told you about the toxic and radioactive materials we worked in until the union and OSHA got some regulations in place you wouldn't believe it. It was 1974 when the company first issued individual film badges to measure what each employee was subjected to and then because of what they saw being recorded, for the first time they began to improve working conditions in the uranium plant where I was working. Before that the men working in the feed plant where the uranium was flourinated and heated would shovel the stuff with 18" spades and were not even issued shoe covers or simple masks. Those of us in the process cascade worked with our street clothes on and tracked that light green powder(uo2f2) away from the plant and into our homes. Sometimes when the atmosphere was heavy the flourine in the air was so dense that it would irritate one's nostrils.

In January 1953 about 100 of us were divided into four shifts and worked 24/7 until mid April cleaning up the biggest uraninum spill in the plant's history. There were five large individual plants at the site, K-33 at that time contained the third most construction steel of any in the world...falling behind the Eifel Tower and the Empire State Building. The effected plant(K-27) was about a quarter mile long, 100 yards wide and had three floors. An operator was heating up a 10 ton cylinder of feed material and the copper pigtail between the cylinder and the 5" feed line into the cell ruptured and all ten tons of material escaped into the plant. All the way from one end of the plant to the other and on all three floors icycles of the material condensed on the six inch contruction steel beams. The powder on the floors was half an inch deep in most places. We ran so many vacuum cleaners that one operator was assigned to the circuit breaker panel to reset them when they tripped from overload. The bags in the machines were all filled and guess what the labels we placed on each one said..."Class D Household Filth" You can bet your ass the company buried it in a land fill. To this day some of the highly radioactive materials are still being dealt with.

Beginning in the mid 1980's the company fought law suits but so many were sick and dying the DOL finally set up a fund, $140,000 per sick employee which was usually claimed by the survivors. Thank goodness in the early 60's I was caught in a broad reduction in force and managed to get another job in the computing center.

Anybody who thinks a company is their friend or that the company will do one inconvenient thing or give one extra penny to ordinary workers has their head so far up their ass that they will never see daylight again. Unions made the middle class of America and folks who can't see it just don't want to.

Last edited:
"Unions made the middle class of America and folks who can't see it just don't want to."

And the wealthy gave rise to the unions and the middle class. Thanks forever to the 1%.

I only worked for a company that "made" me join the union one time.
It was a bad experience.

I have worked for many companies without being in a union.
I have had a tremendous work experience working for companies that didn't have a union.I made a good amount of money and was involved in IRA accounts and 401k plan.One company even kicked in $.50 on every dollar I put into the 401k plan.

I don't see the advantage of a union.I gave all the companies I have worked for over the years a
good effort and they have responded in kind.

It doesn't make sense for a person in a union who works hard to be paid the same as a worker who doesn't give a shit and barely makes an effort.He or she knows the company can't fire them
and the union will back them up.

Yeh I guess I am a company man...
And glad to be.

Last edited:
"Unions made the middle class of America and folks who can't see it just don't want to."

And the wealthy gave rise to the unions and the middle class. Thanks forever to the 1%.

What a load of shit. Until Reagan gave the wealthy extra tax cuts and began to borrow from foreign banks to cover the shortfall the uppercrust had to work like everybody else. Now the useless bastards don't even serve in the military. I'll tell you what! The Republican party is just about finished if they don't come around to supporting somebody except the upper 10% in this country. Hell....my youngest grandchild can do math better than that.

84216861.jpg
mjinequality.jpg

Last edited:
Next week we will hear installment two about how Republicans are from the fly over states and are nothing more then red neck trailer trash. Democrats have been in control since 2006, the mess you whine about is theirs.

Unions and Liberals are similar...
Those in unions who don't want to work ride on the coat tails of those who do.
Liberals want the successful to pay the freight for those who just want to coast through life.

Don't strain yourself there with all that verbiage. This place has more geniuses who think a one liner will suffice than any place I've ever been in my life. Why don't you people ever actually address the body of a post instead of just trying to ignore it and cover it up? I started out in a union and I've never been around anybody who worked harder than I did....for 43 years.

Last edited:
I witnessed first hand what the unions did for the working man. In 1953 I hired in on what was at that time considered a good job...$1.71 an hour. Six months later the union negotiated for an increase for the classification I had hired in for and they made it retroactive. I was paid a lump sum of $0.10 per hour for every hour I had worked during that six months. When I hired in the company had a "shared" pension plan. Each pay period a deduction was taken from my check to pay my part. Two years later the union successfully negotiated for and was granted a company funded pension plan. It was also retroactive....I received a lump sum check covering every penny I had paid to that point.

When negotiations were ongoing for a new benefit for the hourly employees the salaried personnel of course were not included because they were not members of the union so every time we got a benefit the company gave the same thing to the salaried....sometimes no more than a couple of weeks before we got it.

Companies will not give or pay anyone a goddamned cent more than they have to and if I told you about the toxic and radioactive materials we worked in until the union and OSHA got some regulations in place you wouldn't believe it. It was 1974 when the company first issued individual film badges to measure what each employee was subjected to and then because of what they saw being recorded, for the first time they began to improve working conditions in the uranium plant where I was working. Before that the men working in the feed plant where the uranium was flourinated and heated would shovel the stuff with 18" spades and were not even issued shoe covers or simple masks. Those of us in the process cascade worked with our street clothes on and tracked that light green powder(uo2f2) away from the plant and into our homes. Sometimes when the atmosphere was heavy the flourine in the air was so dense that it would irritate one's nostrils.

In January 1953 about 100 of us were divided into four shifts and worked 24/7 until mid April cleaning up the biggest uraninum spill in the plant's history. There were five large individual plants at the site, K-33 at that time contained the third most construction steel of any in the world...falling behind the Eifel Tower and the Empire State Building. The effected plant(K-27) was about a quarter mile long, 100 yards wide and had three floors. An operator was heating up a 10 ton cylinder of feed material and the copper pigtail between the cylinder and the 5" feed line into the cell ruptured and all ten tons of material escaped into the plant. All the way from one end of the plant to the other and on all three floors icycles of the material condensed on the six inch contruction steel beams. The powder on the floors was half an inch deep in most places. We ran so many vacuum cleaners that one operator was assigned to the circuit breaker panel to reset them when they tripped from overload. The bags in the machines were all filled and guess what the labels we placed on each one said..."Class D Household Filth" You can bet your ass the company buried it in a land fill. To this day some of the highly radioactive materials are still being dealt with.

Beginning in the mid 1980's the company fought law suits but so many were sick and dying the DOL finally set up a fund, $140,000 per sick employee which was usually claimed by the survivors. Thank goodness in the early 60's I was caught in a broad reduction in force and managed to get another job in the computing center.

Anybody who thinks a company is their friend or that the company will do one inconvenient thing or give one extra penny to ordinary workers has their head so far up their ass that they will never see daylight again. Unions made the middle class of America and folks who can't see it just don't want to.

Oh, please. If things were really as bad as you say they were, you'd have been dead a long time ago. It's absolutely crazy how the liberals and the lazy complain about how bad business owners are, yet feel no compunction whatsoever about robbing states blind and forcing people out of work because the damn unions refuse to compromise. There is absolutely no reason at all for a union worker to make $75k for doing the same job as a non-union worker making $45k. Just because you belong to a union doesn't mean you deserve to be making $30k more per year. And that doesn't even take into consideration union benefits and retirement plans. It's insane. Until unions become more reasonable in their demands and actions, they will continue to hemorrhage union members and will eventually be reduced to little more than a barely noticeable annoyance.

Most union shops are low skilled...thus their options of getting a new job or high paying jobs in the free market are limited.
Take your story.. I'm sure it was not a pleasant job....in fact, I'm sure it sucked. So why did you stay?
My guess is that there were no other opportunities for you.

I'm sorry for your hardship but ask yourself....was there anything that you could have done differently?

My dad was a union worker, he hated it.

He said they took his money, didn't do a damned thing for him and would throw you under a bus in a second if they thought it would benefit the union.

I have no clue where or who your dad was involved with. I was a member of local 9-288 of the Oil, Chemical and Atomic Workers(OCAW) and we were like brothers. Less than 5% of our work force were scabs. You know what a scab is I assume. It's somebody who rides the train to it's destination but doesn't pay the fare.

Unions and Liberals are similar...
Those in unions who don't want to work ride on the coat tails of those who do.
Liberals want the successful to pay the freight for those who just want to coast through life.

Don't strain yourself there with all that verbiage. This place has more geniuses who think a one liner will suffice than any place I've ever been in my life. Why don't you people ever actually address the body of a post instead of just trying to ignore it and cover it up? I started out in a union and I've never been around anybody who worked harder than I did....for 43 years.

Guess you've never paid attention.

Every union shop I've worked in has it's layabouts. Every single shop.

He said they took his money, didn't do a damned thing for him and would throw you under a bus in a second if they thought it would benefit the union.

I have no clue where or who your dad was involved with. I was a member of local 9-288 of the Oil, Chemical and Atomic Workers(OCAW) and we were like brothers. Less than 5% of our work force were scabs. You know what a scab is I assume. It's somebody who rides the train to it's destination but doesn't pay the fare.

So the "scab" isn't really "working".....? They just sit around and watch you "real men" do the work?

Fukin liar...

The way I see it, if a man or woman is doing their JOB, they are "paying their fare".

Guess you've never paid attention.

Every union shop I've worked in has it's layabouts. Every single shop.

Every non-union shop I've worked in has its "layabouts". Even the Army had it's "layabouts".

Not sure what your point is.

I've seen guys in non-union shops who do nothing but go around chatting all day when other people are working. I've seen union guys who bust their asses. I think it has a lot more to do with leadership and human nature than whether or not these guys belong to an organization that will look out for their interests or not.

So the "scab" isn't really "working".....? They just sit around and watch you "real men" do the work?

Fukin liar...

The way I see it, if a man or woman is doing their JOB, they are "paying their fare".

Most of the scabs work but they don't pay dues.....in other words they are freeloaders. They get the benefits of everything the union does for them but ride the train free. Don't bring your ignorance to me.....I saw the kind of bullshit companies did to employees before unions. They would suck a biggie for an additional 5% bottom line profit.

The BP spill in the Gulf released millions of gallons of crude into the environment and killed 11 workers and that's an example of what a multi billion dollar company will do to anyone or any thing to turn a profit. They had violated four regulations which were obvious and no telling how many others if the deceased could be interviewed.

I've gottcher liar a schwangin.....it's got a big red saucer head on it.

Last edited:

That is a load of shit there. Working people gave rise to everyone everywhere. An entitled 1% is a freeloader just like the lower class. Idolizing subsidized entitled people shows just how very effective the class warfare propaganda they spew on the airwaves is at brainwashing.

IF you were employed by a unionized company and were allowed to not join the union, but you had to work for 2/3rds of the union employees wages, would that be fair? Sure it would.

Unions might have been useful at one point, but even that is debatable. They are like wooden teeth and buggy whips, time to send them to the Museum of Things that Might have been useful at one point

Unions insulate people from the sting of failure and the thrill of success; they are dehumanizing

Unions might have been useful at one point, but even that is debatable. They are like wooden teeth and buggy whips, time to send them to the Museum of Things that Might have been useful at one point

The only ones to whom it's debatable are those who think the uppercrust owe nothing to the idea of patriotism and want all the money:

mjinequality.jpg
uneven-distribution-of-income-growth.jpg

3.jpg

Total U S Debt

09/30/2009 $11,909,829,003,511.75(80% Of All Debt Across 232 Years Borrowed By Reagan And Bushes)

09/30/2008 $10,024,724,896,912.49(Times Square Debt Clock Modified To Accomodate Tens of Trillions)

09/30/2007 $9,007,653,372,262.48
09/30/2006 $8,506,973,899,215.23
09/30/2005 $7,932,709,661,723.50
09/30/2004 $7,379,052,696,330.32

09/30/2003 $6,783,231,062,743.62(Second Bush Tax Cuts Enacted Using Reconciliation)

09/30/2002 $6,228,235,965,597.16

09/30/2001 $5,807,463,412,200.06(First Bush Tax Cuts Enacted Using Reconciliation)

09/30/2000 $5,674,178,209,886.86(Administration And Congress Arguing About How To Use Surplus)

09/30/1999 $5,656,270,901,615.43(First Surplus Generated...On Track To Pay Off Debt By 2012)

09/30/1998 $5,526,193,008,897.62
09/30/1997 $5,413,146,011,397.34
09/30/1996 $5,224,810,939,135.73
09/29/1995 $4,973,982,900,709.39
09/30/1994 $4,692,749,910,013.32

09/30/1993 $4,411,488,883,139.38(Debt Quadrupled By Reagan/Bush41)

09/30/1992 $4,064,620,655,521.66
09/30/1991 $3,665,303,351,697.03
09/28/1990 $3,233,313,451,777.25
09/29/1989 $2,857,430,960,187.32
09/30/1988 $2,602,337,712,041.16
09/30/1987 $2,350,276,890,953.00
09/30/1986 $2,125,302,616,658.42
09/30/1985 $1,823,103,000,000.00
09/30/1984 $1,572,266,000,000.00
09/30/1983 $1,377,210,000,000.00

09/30/1982 $1,142,034,000,000.00(Total Debt Passes $1 Trillion)

09/30/1981 $997,855,000,000.00

Last edited:

Forum List

Back