you cant swim here if your black

maybe if black kids were not kicked out of the pool they could learn to swim

Well they took the pool to court, had it shut down via their actions, and got some money, which is no doubt the only reason they took the pool to court. I don't approve of discrimination and I certainly believe it to be a bad business model, however, the owner/s of a property or business should be allowed to deny anyone they want for whatever reason (government institutions excluded). For the record, I would never swim at an establishment that denies entry to black people. Nevertheless, the Supreme Court erred on title 7 (I beleive it's called title 7) of the Civil Rights Bill. Where the punishment is supposed to fit the crime the money they received is certainly larger than the act of the supposed crime.

That's nice of you to say that and, maybe it's just me and I have a very low opinion on humanity but I don't think that if that lawsuit wouldn't of happened that pool would not only still be open but be profitable as well. But, hey I could be totally wrong here and the community would rise up against the people who made that policy at the pool. But all in all I'm not mad to see a business who uses discrimination as a policy go down.

No one ever is. I just don't like to see it go down because of an unconstitutional title in the civil rights code and a bad decision in a court case. I want to see it go down because the community refuses to swim there. Let me give you a practical example.

You own a bar and decide to have ladies night on Fridays. Ladies get in at no cover charge. Should men take the bar to court on charges of discrimination? Well, it has been done. See here >>>>>> Lawyer Wants to Take 'Ladies' Night' Case to Supreme Court - DNAinfo.com New York

If you own your business it is your property. If you want to deny access to your property then, it’s your property, you should have that right. No one’s rights are violated if they are refused access on your property. Why? No one has the right to access your property and they can go somewhere else. It's not nice, I would not frequent such a business, but I challenge anyone to find the article in the U.S. Constitution that says it's against the law. Even Clarence Thomas agrees with this.

Edit: What if you have more male sports than female sports at your school? Take them to court for gender discrimination? It's been done! In fact, a school football team was'nt even allowed to raise it's own money to continue playing football after taken to court a second time.

Last edited:
maybe if black kids were not kicked out of the pool they could learn to swim

Now they'll have 15 grand apiece for lessons.

And daycare expenses.

And crack. They are three years older now.

I don't know how big this pool is, but let's assume it is an Olympic size pool with 2 lifeguards on duty. On a normal day, let's say 25 kids are in the pool Add to that, 73 kids (perhaps many more) that aren't likely strong swimmers and you really expect 2 life guards to be able to control all that?
Wouldn't you rather the club tell the kids they can't swim than lose one or 2 to drowning? It seems to me the pool operator was concerned for their safety.

Ok, I was curious and googled.

A day camp of 60 kids and their adult supervisors attempted to swim at this private swim club. They say they were denied and told that they were not allowed "because it would change the atmosphere" of the pool. Eye witnesses at the pool describe the children as well behaved and their supervisors as attentive.

That was only what I got from a quick google search. Did I miss something?

Apparently several parents have lost their baby sitters as well... From the link: At the time, Valley Swim Club officials said race had nothing to do with it and that there were too many children for the lifeguards on duty.

I disagree.

Race had everything to do with the settlement.

Think about it. If a group of white kids were told they could not swim becasue they did not have enough staff (lifeguards)....do you think this case would fly? I think not.

Apparently several parents have lost their baby sitters as well... From the link: At the time, Valley Swim Club officials said race had nothing to do with it and that there were too many children for the lifeguards on duty.

I disagree.

Think about it. If a group of white kids were told they could not swim becasue they did not have enough staff (lifeguards)....do you think this case would fly? I think not.

Oh, skin color defiantly pushed the case to a position where a settlement was possible outside the court. In fact, in your scenario the pool would probably still be open. Of course, sense they took them to court solely for money, money was naturally the remedy. I guess you can put a price on civil rights.

Last edited:
you cant swim here if your black.

I see that Truthmatter's 5th grade grammar teacher is still rolling over in her grave.

I disagree.

Oh, skin color defiantly pushed the case to a position where a settlement was possible outside the court. In fact, in your scenario the pool would probably still be open. Of course, sense they took them to court solely for money, money was naturally the remedy. I guess you can put a price on civil rights.

In my opinion....money was the motivator.

What are all of you reading that I am not? :confused:

Eye witnesses saying they heard guests complain there were too many black kids and that they were uncomfortable.
The pool had hosted larger parties with more children and never had an issue before.
Emails that were reviewed by an independent panel that say race was a main factor of being denied.

Was the pool experiencing financial problems before the lawsuit. I know the article said it declared bankrupcty, but I wasn't sure if that was because it was doing poorly or a result of the lawsuit.

Reason i ask is because I think that would help to validate the claim the pool was closed for non-racial reasons, i.e. they didn't have the revenue to hire additional lifeguards (labor) and the number of lifeguards they had at the time were insufficent to ensure the safety of 60+ children. (therefore they had to refund the group's money and eventually close down).

Or was everything caused after the fact, due to the lawsuit?

I disagree.

I'm curious if they called ahead. 60 kids in the shallow end of the pool would certainly warrant it. Assessing that via my experience in the Marines where only two black people out of many could swim during our swim qual week. Or the time I went to the water park a few months ago where those who could not swim in the wave pool were required to have a safety vest. (The suction of the water back and forth pulled people in to the deep end). Almost every black person in the pool had a life jacket. Therefore, 60 kids in the shallow end might warrant denial, especially if they did not call ahead.

I'm curious if they called ahead. 60 kids in the shallow end of the pool would certainly warrant it. Assessing that via my experience in the Marines where only two black people out of many could swim during our swim qual week. Or the time I went to the water park a few months ago where those who could not swim in the wave pool were required to have a safety vest. (The suction of the water back and forth pulled people in to the deep end). Almost every black person in the pool had a life jacket. Therefore, 60 kids in the shallow end might warrant denial, especially if they did not call ahead.

I was a swimming instructor for many years.... which means no one knew how to swim. We had 1 instructor for every 2-3 students for safety reasons.

I was a swimming instructor for many years.... which means no one knew how to swim. We had 1 instructor for every 2-3 students for safety reasons.

I went to a pool full of black people once and my wife and I had to leave because of all the vulgar language and hitting on her. You see, I went to an all black school as a child and the swimming pool was in the same area. A child even told my wife to “get the hell out of the pool” and his older brother threatened to “beat her ass” when she asked where his mother was. That’s when I stepped in and almost got thrown out as his mother came out yapping vulgarities at my wife and I while communicating with her angels. We couldn’t even dive off of the diving board in an Olympic size pool because of all the people cutting in line. Shortly after witnessing a fight (a fight in which no one gave information to the police when they arrived even though there was a crowd around them and people obviously knew them by name), we left and vowed never to come back. Similar events happened when we went to a public 4th of July carnival/celebration. Perhaps that’s why they weren’t allowed access in the op's case? Discriminatory? Yes. Practical? You decide. Nevertheless, the reputation the pool I was talking about is in the gutter and no white people ever swim there. The only white people in that pool today are the life guards and the staff (A family operated venture I beleive with some HS students.)

Last edited:
...Valley Swim Club officials said race had nothing to do with it and that there were too many children for the lifeguards on duty.

They played it safe and got burned, what a great example for the public and other businesses.

What the black people expected was that the white kids already there would be told to leave so they could come in.

I ran into this years ago wiith a young woman who wanted to sue El Camino college for not admitting her to a class that was filled. She said it was race. The college said that the class was full, but she could audit it in case someone dropped out. Her argument was the class couldn't be closed because there were white students there who could be told to leave.

This sounds like much the same thing.

obama is shortly going to close all public pools permanently unless they can afford to retrofit wheelchair lifts so these complaints are nothing.

Forum List

Back