You can't spend your way out of a recession?

&

☭proletarian☭

We're all familiar with this Republican mantra, yet isn't that exactly what they insist we must do when they speak of the importance of boosting consumer spending and getting people to go out and buy things to get the economy going again?

☭proletarian☭;1985117 said:
We're all familiar with this Republican mantra, yet isn't that exactly what they insist we must do when they speak of the importance of boosting consumer spending and getting people to go out and buy things to get the economy going again?

That's what I recall reading about after 9/11. Bush told people to just basically go out and buy stuff. Go to Disneyland, etc.

If the economy is in the tank, then spending fake borrowed money to create a much more massive debt (that will eventually lead to the valid demand that the interest on the debt and/or the principle gets paid) is indeed an idiotic way to get out of the recession. It is not the creation of any real "demand." And absent a real demand, it will not produce long-term businesses that create wealth or the jobs that go along with them. And without real jobs being created, the short-term demand will clearly not rescue the tanking economy.

But the massively inflated credit debt WILL kill off any hope of real spending down the road. Why? Because that money will be tied up for the payment of the interest and the principle.

Spending massively borrowed money to get us out of a recession is like fucking for virginity (to borrow a phrase from the 60's).

What President Obama is doing doesn't make ANY damn sense at all and nobody is buying the bullshit he's peddling.

If the money is 'fake' then it couldn't be borrowed and spent.

Unless you mean to imply that we're borrowing counterfeit bills from China and circulating them in our economy?

And you're talking about borrowing money, not spending it. We're talking about spending your way out of a recession, not borrowing your way out od debt.

Unless you mean that you and the Reps don't know the difference, which would explain an awful lot.

This is a Democratic mantra, not a Republican mantra.
It is based on a fallacy, exposed first by Henry Hazlett in Economics in One Lesson.
Gov't cannot spend its own money because it has none. It must spend other people's. So one person benefits only at the expense of someone else, who of course is not seen.

The Republican mantra is "targeted tax cuts" which aim to change the incentives people have to save and invest. These have been proven to work at least 3 times already. Why Team Obama is clueless about this is unknown.

Every time I hear it, it's from the Reps.
It is based on a fallacy, exposed first by Henry Hazlett in Economics in One Lesson.
Gov't cannot spend its own money because it has none. It must spend other people's.

The government is the People, in a republic. The government spends its own money, which is to say the People spend their own money.

The applies, of course, only to revenue generated for government use via taxes, tariffs, etc.

The Republican mantra is "targeted tax cuts" which aim to change the incentives people have to save and invest
They lobby only for tax cuts to the rich, rather than the middle class. They help noone but their own.

☭proletarian☭;1985161 said:
If the money is 'fake' then it couldn't be borrowed and spent.

Unless you mean to imply that we're borrowing counterfeit bills from China and circulating them in our economy?

And you're talking about borrowing money, not spending it. We're talking about spending your way out of a recession, not borrowing your way out od debt.

Unless you mean that you and the Reps don't know the difference, which would explain an awful lot.

As you know, but appear to be not honest enough to admit, our currency is "backed" only by a fucking whim and a promise. It is not even a very compelling promise, anymore. We don't even engage in the sordid business of bothering to PRINT most of the worthless fake shit we laughingly call currency anymore.

They are now just electronic blips. Representations of fake representations.

There's not a fucking ONE of you frauds on the uber-left who can even pretend that we have ANY ability to pay off the massive debt we are accumulating -- and that's not even the tip of the fucking iceberg. The unfunded mandates are so much more massive and the prospect of making good on those obligations is even more remote -- which is to say, fantasy.

We are screwed and all you uber lefties can do is insist that we need to borrow more and 'spend" that which isn't even our -- much less real -- to "get us out of the recession." The second valley is just around the bend.

And that sign post up ahead? DEATH Valley, it seems to say.

The idiot in chief should be slamming on the brakes, going into a panic skid and trying to jerk us around in the opposite direction. Instead, that fubar is pressing down hard on the accelerator. What a moron.

☭proletarian☭;1985177 said:

Every time I hear it, it's from the Reps.
Gov't cannot spend its own money because it has none. It must spend other people's.

The government is the People, in a republic. The government spends its own money, which is to say the People spend their own money.

The applies, of course, only to revenue generated for government use via taxes, tariffs, etc.

The Republican mantra is "targeted tax cuts" which aim to change the incentives people have to save and invest
They lobby only for tax cuts to the rich, rather than the middle class. They help noone but their own.

Which reps have declared we have to continue spending to avoid bankruptcy? Last I checked that was Biden.
The gov't does not spend its own money because the gov't has no money of its own. It gets it from either taxes or borrowing, which have to be repaid through taxes.
The "tax cuts for the rich" meme is getting a little long in the tooth. JFK cut taxes in 1960 and created prosperity. Reagan did it in 1980 and created prosperity. Bush sort of did it and created prosperity.
The poor don't pay taxes. So cutting their taxes doesn't mean much.
In any case you missed the point about targeting the cuts to affect behavior.

@ Liability

Wow... your partisan stupidity blinds you completely, doesn't it?

1) Again, we're talking about the mantra that 'you can't spend your way out of a recession'. Borrowing money is another issue. If you want to discuss 'borrowing your way out of debt', make a thread about it.

2) As an adherent of the Austrian School, I have railed against ithe inflation of the monetary supply many times. Pay attention.

3) 'Uber-left'? See #2.

4) You do realize FUBAR is not a verb, right? If you don't know how to use a term, you're better of not using it at all.

You want to use taxes to change people's behavior? Hike the Death tax and tax the shit out of money in the bank. It'll either get spent or moved offshore.

Your rhetoric doesn't fit the actions your support.

☭proletarian☭;1985199 said:
You want to use taxes to change people's behavior? Hike the Death tax and tax the shit out of money in the bank. It'll either get spent or moved offshore.

Your rhetoric doesn't fit the actions your support.

Except those aren't the actions I support.
Perhaps you really are too ignorant to engage in this discussion. We'll see.

As I said, to change behavor about saving and investing. Maybe you missed that part too.

☭proletarian☭;1985194 said:

Wow... your partisan stupidity blinds you completely, doesn't it?

No, you utterly pathetic moron. You are the partisan tool. Not me. And you are the one who is blind, not me.

1) Again, we're talking about the mantra that 'you can't spend your way out of a recession'. Borrowing money is another issue. If you want to discuss 'borrowing your way out of debt', make a thread about it.

It is the SAME issue, you retarded asswipe. We are "spending" completely BORROWED fake "money," you moron.

2) As an adherent of the Austrian School, I have railed against ithe inflation of the monetary supply many times. Pay attention.

3) 'Uber-left'? See #2.

Yeah. Sure. You are a dork. A schmuck like you cannot even fathom that we are 'spending' borrowed "money," but I should give serious thought to lectures by a moron like YOU? Nah. That would be silly.

4) You do realize FUBAR is not a verb, right? If you don't know how to use a term, you're better of not using it at all.[/QUOTE]

I know what fubar is, you fubar. I used it properly, too, you schmuck. One thing is clear, it wasn't used AS a "verb." Do you know what a "verb" is, moron?

By the way, when it comes to President Dumbass speaking, every time your stupid child-king opens his ignorant mouth, forget "fubar." Think BOHICA!

Meh. Typo. I typed verb instead of noun. Never was good at multitasking or proofreading. *shrug*

It's not a noun, btw. It's an adjective, as in the truck is fubar.

Fubar: Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition; Fucked Up Beyond all Repair,

That you accuse me of being a partisan when you keep spewing FNC talking points is almost humorous.

That you don't understand the difference between spending money and borrowing money is just plain sad.

Reagan did it in 1980 and created prosperity.
Baloney!
Reagan cut taxes and created the Reagan Recession. The worst recession since the Great Depression until the Bush Depression of today.

When you hear the corporate media say the worst unemployment in 25 years, they are actually saying the worst since St Ronnie!!!

☭proletarian☭;1985242 said:
Meh. Typo. I typed verb instead of noun. Never was good at multitasking or proofreading. *shrug*

It's not a noun, btw. It's an adjective, as in the truck is fubar.

Fubar: Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition; Fucked Up Beyond all Repair,

That you accuse me of being a partisan when you keep spewing FNC talking points is almost humorous.

That you don't understand the difference between spending money and borrowing money is just plain sad.

Your petty-ass attempt to limit the acronym "fubar" to being just an adjective is rejected.

It's like the expression, "the fucking fucker is fucked." "Fuck" can be used in a wide variety of situations and it has not been required to stay a "verb." You, for instance, are just a dumb fuck.

That you don't grasp the fact that WHAT the government is "spending" isn't THEIR money in the first fucking place is sad, and that it's our BORROWED moeny that they are 'spending" is even sadder. Your mind is a very sad fucking little thing, you fubar.

:lol:

Again with the adjective as a noun?

That's what I recall reading about after 9/11. Bush told people to just basically go out and buy stuff. Go to Disneyland, etc.

while simultaneously telling people to look sharp, watch for anything, and tattle on your parents.

"Be careful! but keep shopping!!!!"

That statement applies more to government spending than individual consumers.

What you're speaking about is consumers spending the money that they are now hoarding, to get the economy moving again. It relates to the idea of the so-called 'paradox of thrift', where people hoard their money out of fear while it ironically ends up hurting the economy as a whole.

I don't subscribe to such an idea because I think one of our country's biggest problems is a lack of savings. I understand WHY the economy slows down when people save more, but I don't see how it's possibly a bad thing in the long run. People should save, and then spend WISELY.

Forum List

Back