You can't go to Mars, but if the UAE has its way you could visit a fake Martian city

Well, they DID build a ski slope, complete with snow, in the middle of the desert.

Why not a Mars environment?

And.................if you ever get a chance to go to Dubai, I suggest going. It's a really cool city and the stuff they have around there is actually more impressive that what is in Vegas.

• Banned
Well, they DID build a ski slope, complete with snow, in the middle of the desert.

And.................if you ever get a chance to go to Dubai, I suggest going. It's a really cool city and the stuff they have around there is actually more impressive that what is in Vegas.

what stuff?

what stuff?

Well, for starters there are the fountains in some of the bigger hotel lobbies that are laminar flow fountains, meaning you get to see tubes of water go flying through the air into a hole just barely bigger than the tube of water and not splash.

There are things like the ski slope, some of their malls are probably the best in the world, because Dubai is a major shipping hub, so just about everything in the world goes through there.

And then, there are the souks. Souks are actually marketplaces, and each souk is different. The coolest one I saw was the Gold Souk, which has a couple of blocks of stores where all of them are packed to the gills with gold, and you can get all the way up to 24 karat gold if you want. I remember one time, I asked if they had anything in 14 k gold, and they laughed at me and asked why I wanted costume jewelry. Ended up buying an 18 k. 21 inch chain, and it only cost me a hundred dollars. Got a really nice gold camel for the chain as well.

Damn near ANYTHING you could want to buy, you will more than likely find it in the souks.

• Banned

what stuff?

Well, for starters there are the fountains in some of the bigger hotel lobbies that are laminar flow fountains, meaning you get to see tubes of water go flying through the air into a hole just barely bigger than the tube of water and not splash.

There are things like the ski slope, some of their malls are probably the best in the world, because Dubai is a major shipping hub, so just about everything in the world goes through there.

And then, there are the souks. Souks are actually marketplaces, and each souk is different. The coolest one I saw was the Gold Souk, which has a couple of blocks of stores where all of them are packed to the gills with gold, and you can get all the way up to 24 karat gold if you want. I remember one time, I asked if they had anything in 14 k gold, and they laughed at me and asked why I wanted costume jewelry. Ended up buying an 18 k. 21 inch chain, and it only cost me a hundred dollars. Got a really nice gold camel for the chain as well.

Damn near ANYTHING you could want to buy, you will more than likely find it in the souks.

do they have Slint's Spiderland album?

Forum List

Back