You Be the Judge (But I wouldn't want to be one):

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
While I felt anger at all three of the situations following, I sure am glad I'm not the judge who would have to mediate the grievances.

In Norfolk a woman says she was required by Norfolk TSA security personnel to place her $24,000 Rolex in the basket for scanning though she asked them to just hold it while she walked throught the scanner. They refused but then pulled her aside for an additional security check. When she got back to the basket to retrieve her belongings, the watch was gone. TSA says they're not liable and that she never had on a watch. Witnesses say she did.

Should she be reimbursed?
Baker County woman sues after Rolex goes missing at Norfolk airport | jacksonville.com

In Paramount CA, highschool students doing a comedy mock 'strip tease' routine got carried away and evoked unscripted laughs by from the student audience by stripping down to their underware on stage. The teacher sponsoring the event has been suspended. The students are defending her saying she had nothing to do with it.

Should the teacher be fire or censured?
Paramount High School Students Stand By Teacher After Striptease Fallout - cbs2.com

President Obama is touring the Solyndra solar plant in Fremont CA today. Afraid that emloyees would be a security risk during his visit, they were sent home without pay for the day.

Should somebody pay those workers?
RealClearPolitics - Video - Solar Plant Workers Told To Stay Home Without Pay Due To Obama Visit

While I felt anger at all three of the situations following, I sure am glad I'm not the judge who would have to mediate the grievances.

In Norfolk a woman says she was required by Norfolk TSA security personnel to place her $24,000 Rolex in the basket for scanning though she asked them to just hold it while she walked throught the scanner. They refused but then pulled her aside for an additional security check. When she got back to the basket to retrieve her belongings, the watch was gone. TSA says they're not liable and that she never had on a watch. Witnesses say she did.

Baker County woman sues after Rolex goes missing at Norfolk airport | jacksonville.com

In Paramount CA, highschool students doing a comedy mock 'strip tease' routine got carried away and evoked unscripted laughs by from the student audience by stripping down to their underware on stage. The teacher sponsoring the event has been suspended. The students are defending her saying she had nothing to do with it.

Paramount High School Students Stand By Teacher After Striptease Fallout - cbs2.com

President Obama is touring the Solyndra solar plant in Fremont CA today. Afraid that emloyees would be a security risk during his visit, they were sent home without pay for the day.

RealClearPolitics - Video - Solar Plant Workers Told To Stay Home Without Pay Due To Obama Visit

1. It would depend on the testimony of the witnesses and their credibility. Either set of facts is possible absent that.

2. I wouldn't fire the teacher, though I would inquire as to why the students were doing a mock strip tease from which they could get carried away.

3. I think the employer should pay them.

Although I think the governator is accompanying the president since he tweeted about going to Solyndra this a.m. So maybe the state of cali and the feds should chip in.

on the other hand, the workers got a day off...

hmmmmmmmm... damn, that one requires more thought. are there any labor laws in cali that apply here? and what happens in similar situations?

also, who made them go home? their boss? the state? the feds?

film should prove if there was a watch or not....if there was...she needs to get her watch or money

what poor judgement....i would think that when the student began to unbutton or raise the blouse would might stop the show....

yes, they are being forced to take a day off when they are more than willing to work...what is the cost of paying these workers..compared to the overall costs of the visit

film should prove if there was a watch or not....if there was...she needs to get her watch or money

what poor judgement....i would think that when the student began to unbutton or raise the blouse would might stop the show....

yes, they are being forced to take a day off when they are more than willing to work...what is the cost of paying these workers..compared to the overall costs of the visit

the article says the cameras weren't working that day.

cameras werent working? o my...o my...what a problem then...i guess you will just have to go with the eye witnesses...

as for the student and strip tease...who thought this was a good idea to begin with? why are they doing a mock strip tease?

1. Smells all kinds of fishy to me. The cameras happened to be down at the time and that an older lady was pulled aside, who happened to have a high dollar watch in the basket, for additional screening.
2.Like Strollingbones said, teacher should have stopped it as soon as the pants started coming down.
3. Thats just crazy, they definately should be reimursed for the loss of a day's pay.

The following rulings by Xotoxi are LEGALLY BINDING and NON-NEGOTIABLE.

No. She willingly gave her watch to the security personel. It now belongs to them to do with as they see fit (likely donate to a charity).

The teacher should be fired as the teacher should have full control over their assigned students and is completely responsible for all of their actions. This is based on the fact that the teacher has been entrusted to indoctrinate their students properly and completely.

They didn't work, did they? As a result - NO PAY.

What I heard about #3 is that it was ONLY non union workers who were told to stay home without pay. The union workers were there.

Rick

No. She willingly gave her watch to the security personel. It now belongs to them to do with as they see fit (likely donate to a charity).

The teacher should be fired as the teacher should have full control over their assigned students and is completely responsible for all of their actions. This is based on the fact that the teacher has been entrusted to indoctrinate their students properly and completely.

Exactly the opposite of what he said. (Yes xotoxi I know your sarcasm)

The watch one is tough. 24K? Prove it.

Everybody is offering good comments and several of you have enlarged pespectives on this. Choosing at random who to piggy back off of.....I picked Nate:

1. Smells all kinds of fishy to me. The cameras happened to be down at the time and that an older lady was pulled aside, who happened to have a high dollar watch in the basket, for additional screening.

Hubby and I have both been licensed insurance adjusters and have both investigated lots of strange, unusual, and suspicious claims. It was funny that both us, though generally quite different in perspective, immediately thought 'scam' and that the woman was trying to pull a fast one.

But then, as Jillian, did up there, we thought further about it. On occasion we have not removed a watch or metal jewelry and triggered the alarm. We removed the offended item, handed it to the security personnel, and walked back through. In court houses and other high security areas, we just removed whatever metal we were wearing, handed it to security before walking through.

So.....it struck us as odd that security refused to hold the watch for the 2 seconds it would have required her to walk through the scanner. And then it struck us as a really interesting coincidence that the security cameras wouldn't be working that particular day and she was selected for a more thorough security search.

And with witnesses willing to testify, I think the lady has a really strong case.

2.Like Strollingbones said, teacher should have stopped it as soon as the pants started coming down.

Agreed

3. Thats just crazy, they definately should be reimursed for the loss of a day's pay

But who should pay it? The union? The employer who wasn't the one who required it? Us the taxpayer? Or the President out of pocket?

Last edited:

Exactly the opposite of what he said. (Yes xotoxi I know your sarcasm)

The watch one is tough. 24K? Prove it.

What I find odd is that the woman actually allowed herself to be separated from her watch. She should have told them that she will submit to further security check once she has the watch back in her possession.

Secondly...who the fuck spends $24K on a watch?

1)I find the value of the watch kind of fishy. She would need to provide a receipt. The story of the TSA folks is even fishier.

2) Why were they doing that as a fund raiser. If you want to have a sexually suggestive fund raiser, girls in skimpy bathing suits can wash cars. When the first button came undone, the teacher should have put a stop to it, or not even have let it starts.

3)It was a campaign stop. The 0bama campaign should pay the wages. It sounds like they were winnowing out any folks who might ask embarrassing questions. He didn't want a new Joe the Plumber moment.

Everybody is offering good comments and several of you have enlarged pespectives on this. Choosing at random who to piggy back off of.....I picked Nate:

Hubby and I have both been licensed insurance adjusters and have both investigated lots of strange, unusual, and suspicious claims. It was funny that both us, though generally quite different in perspective, immediately thought 'scam' and that the woman was trying to pull a fast one.

But then, as Jillian, did up there, we thought further about it. On occasion we have not removed a watch or metal jewelry and triggered the alarm. We removed the offended item, handed it to the security personnel, and walked back through. In court houses and other high security areas, we just removed whatever metal we were wearing, handed it to security before walking through.

So.....it struck us as odd that security refused to hold the watch for the 2 seconds it would have required her to walk through the scanner. And then it struck us as a really interesting coincidence that the security cameras wouldn't be working that particular day and she was selected for a more thorough security search.

And with witnesses willing to testify, I think the lady has a really strong case.

Agreed

3. Thats just crazy, they definately should be reimursed for the loss of a day's pay

But who should pay it? The union? The employer who wasn't the one who required it? Us the taxpayer? Or the President out of pocket?

With the first, it took a moment for me to conclude that the woman has a good case and not a scammer... She happened to be a secretary for a public defender was the first red flag that came up also she happened to run into a collegue of her boss at the same airport after it all took place. Unfortunately for airport security more things didn't add up. Unfortunately the camera's being down hurts their case more than helping it.
As for the workers losing a day of pay. Again unfortunately I say we(the taxpayers) are going to foot the bill or should since it was a security issue for the man we:)rolleyes:) elected to represent our country. I do find it hillarious that the reason for him to tour this company was to give a pat on the backs to the workers who weren't even there to get it...

If Iam the judge

The woman would be compensated for her watch.

The teacher would not be fired.

And the workers should be paid.

that sounds convenient doesn't it? betcha a TSA employee owns that watch now.

that sounds convenient doesn't it? betcha a TSA employee owns that watch now.

might be the case. or maybe there was no watch. that happens, too.

I'm with you Jillian. Could be a scam. I fly quite a bit and have never been asked to take off my watch or any other jewelry. If it was really worth 24K, it shouldn't set off any alarms. Sounds fishy.

i would wait for the results of the watchgate investigation; she should have to sue and all testify under oath and the bearing the associated penalties.

the teacher should get reprimanded along with the students. suspensions.

the workers shouldn't get a paid holiday.

Last edited:

__________________________________________________ __

Case Number 1. The missing Rolex. If I was the Judge, I would order up the tapes of the secured area and review them to determine if the woman removed a watch of any kind. If the woman did indeed remove a watch and placed it in the basket as required, and it could be proved by video tape, I would be more likely to believe her story about the Rolex than the Airport Security Personnel. It seems a bit too odd to me that the woman would be removed for "extra security checks" at such an opportune time for a thief. Remember, just because you work for security doesn't mean you aren't a thief. I believe that "something" out of the ordinary happened and I would do my best to find out exactly what. In the event that it could not be proved that the woman removed a watch because the tape was somehow "not available for review", I would be more inclined to side with the woman. The security company's insurance company could pay for the loss.

Case Number 2: Poor student behavior on stage. The teacher is obviously not capable of maintaining adequate control of her class members and she even proves her inadequate educational value by allowing a stunt like this to even occur. She needs a career change. I'd side with firing her.

Case Number 3: President visits. Employees released and sent home without pay. Doesn't it seem really odd that the President can fly around the country and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars that belong to the tax payers for numerous "dog and pony show" events but arrangements can't be made to either pay employees that they send home due to "security reasons" or the President can't be safe guarded in a controlled event like this. This is pretty bizarre. I'd rule in favor of paying the employees.

Judge Count Dracula - Court of Last Resorts. No appeals granted.

I just read an article about the watch. I think the TSA agents set up a scam. Apparently they were asking all the women to remove their jewelry which is not standard procedure. The cameras were turned off. Hmmmm. This was a comment on the article:

I happened to be there when this watch went missing. I was in the security line next to her. They not only asked her to take off her watch they asked 2 or 3 other people to take their's off before going thru the metal detector. Once I got up to the metal detector this lady had already gone thru and was in a secondary screening. When the TSA agent saw my wrist she asked my to take my bracelets off (I wear 3 on each wrist), I politely told her that they were 100% gold and that if they set off the metal detector my husband has some explaining to do!!!!! I went thru without a problem and was sitting to put my shoes back on when this poor woman realized that her watch was missing

Forum List

Back