You are all so proud..

Discussion in 'Congress' started by tnhighc, Nov 6, 2008.

1. tnhighc

tnhighc Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    While all of you who voted for Obama are so proud that he won, many because our country elected our first black president, stop and consider, based strictly on his credentials and what he actually said, would he have even gotten as much as a second glance from most of you had he not been black? I am not against a black president - green, purple or polka dotted for that matter. I just don't believe that our government was created to be the end all, provide all, solve all mega organization that this president elect seems to want it to be.
    When you take away a people's need and desire to work and provide for themselves, what do you have left?
    When people are provided something for nothing, they take advantage. That is one of the basic, glaring problems with most state sponsored insurance programs and with welfare in general. If someone knows that if they so much as stub a toe and they can go to the ER and not have to pay a single dime, why would they not? And, they do. That is also one of the main reasons insurance costs have risen.
    Again, you can't just keep giving people something for nothing. We need to be a country of people who work to solve their own problems and make things better, not just sit around and wait for the government to "make it all better".

2. BlackAsCoal

BlackAsCoal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,884

His credentials and what he said is why he's going to be the president.

What has been rejected by Americans is the kind of non-sensical thought you posted here in this thread.

"Something for nothing" .. you talking about Wall Street and the bailout?

3. Elyk88

Elyk88 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I didn't want Obama to win the election. But I accept he is my president..unlike those mindless zombie Bush haters..

Why? because I believe in democracy more than any candidate.

I will give Obama the benefit of the doubt and my support to do what will help America.

However, I would like to remind all those Obama supporters, that if all that change rhetoric does not follow suit..to the degree in which the hype was warranted...you may want to start holding people accountable.

Sorry...no more blaming Bush for all your problems...

the agent of change has come...

we will see. :evil:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. BlackAsCoal

BlackAsCoal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,884
    I didn't support Obama either .. but I recognize the incredible force he assembled and the power of his intelligence.

In spite of what you seem to believe, his being black was a detriment, not an asset to his victory. He won in spite of being black.

The question you should be asking yourself is why didn't your candidate win.

Who do you blame for that?

5. N4mddissent

N4mddissent Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +140
    The thing is, if it was all about race, then Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton would have been elected long ago. It was a lot more than being black that allowed Obama to win states like Iowa and Indianna.

6. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,760
    I voted for him for president, not black president. But I can only speak for myself.

7. Elyk88

Elyk88 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I don't blame anyone for my candidate not winning. Not even the candidate.

If anything I blame democracy for them not winning...which I glad to do any day.

My point had nothing to do with my candidate..or any other candidate..because they are not the president elect.

Therefore my point was that it will be interesting to see how Obama supporters react if or when Obama does something they fundamentally don't agree with..

Will they mindlessly support him no matter what? I hope not..I hope accountability in this country stays strong.

I would argue the same for any candidate who got elected..

However the foundation of his campaign was 'change'

ok...well change something...so many promises...so little time. same with any politician..difference is...this isn't an ordinary politician. he is the agent of change

8. tymebeta

tymebeta Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    OP doesn't get it. It's not about him being black. It's the fact that he got elected despite being black.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today."

And Elyk, your attitude humbles me.

9. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Exactly

I voted against him as President... not against him as Black President.. not against him because he is a Black running for President

10. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    same here!

He's the candidate who inspired me to believe that this country can be better than the last 8 years would indicate. He happens to be black. one thing has nothing to do with the other.