You are all so proud..

tnhighc

Rookie
Nov 5, 2008
While all of you who voted for Obama are so proud that he won, many because our country elected our first black president, stop and consider, based strictly on his credentials and what he actually said, would he have even gotten as much as a second glance from most of you had he not been black? I am not against a black president - green, purple or polka dotted for that matter. I just don't believe that our government was created to be the end all, provide all, solve all mega organization that this president elect seems to want it to be.
When you take away a people's need and desire to work and provide for themselves, what do you have left?
When people are provided something for nothing, they take advantage. That is one of the basic, glaring problems with most state sponsored insurance programs and with welfare in general. If someone knows that if they so much as stub a toe and they can go to the ER and not have to pay a single dime, why would they not? And, they do. That is also one of the main reasons insurance costs have risen.
Again, you can't just keep giving people something for nothing. We need to be a country of people who work to solve their own problems and make things better, not just sit around and wait for the government to "make it all better".

While all of you who voted for Obama are so proud that he won, many because our country elected our first black president, stop and consider, based strictly on his credentials and what he actually said, would he have even gotten as much as a second glance from most of you had he not been black? I am not against a black president - green, purple or polka dotted for that matter. I just don't believe that our government was created to be the end all, provide all, solve all mega organization that this president elect seems to want it to be.
When you take away a people's need and desire to work and provide for themselves, what do you have left?
When people are provided something for nothing, they take advantage. That is one of the basic, glaring problems with most state sponsored insurance programs and with welfare in general. If someone knows that if they so much as stub a toe and they can go to the ER and not have to pay a single dime, why would they not? And, they do. That is also one of the main reasons insurance costs have risen.
Again, you can't just keep giving people something for nothing. We need to be a country of people who work to solve their own problems and make things better, not just sit around and wait for the government to "make it all better".

His credentials and what he said is why he's going to be the president.

What has been rejected by Americans is the kind of non-sensical thought you posted here in this thread.

"Something for nothing" .. you talking about Wall Street and the bailout?

I didn't want Obama to win the election. But I accept he is my president..unlike those mindless zombie Bush haters..

Why? because I believe in democracy more than any candidate.

I will give Obama the benefit of the doubt and my support to do what will help America.

However, I would like to remind all those Obama supporters, that if all that change rhetoric does not follow suit..to the degree in which the hype was warranted...you may want to start holding people accountable.

Sorry...no more blaming Bush for all your problems...

the agent of change has come...

we will see. :evil:

I didn't want Obama to win the election. But I accept he is my president..unlike those mindless zombie Bush haters..

Why? because I believe in democracy more than any candidate.

I will give Obama the benefit of the doubt and my support to do what will help America.

However, I would like to remind all those Obama supporters, that if all that change rhetoric does not follow suit..to the degree in which the hype was warranted...you may want to start holding people accountable.

Sorry...no more blaming Bush for all your problems...

the agent of change has come...

we will see. :evil:

I didn't support Obama either .. but I recognize the incredible force he assembled and the power of his intelligence.

In spite of what you seem to believe, his being black was a detriment, not an asset to his victory. He won in spite of being black.

The question you should be asking yourself is why didn't your candidate win.

Who do you blame for that?

The thing is, if it was all about race, then Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton would have been elected long ago. It was a lot more than being black that allowed Obama to win states like Iowa and Indianna.

I didn't support Obama either .. but I recognize the incredible force he assembled and the power of his intelligence.

In spite of what you seem to believe, his being black was a detriment, not an asset to his victory. He won in spite of being black.

The question you should be asking yourself is why didn't your candidate win.

Who do you blame for that?

I don't blame anyone for my candidate not winning. Not even the candidate.

If anything I blame democracy for them not winning...which I glad to do any day.

My point had nothing to do with my candidate..or any other candidate..because they are not the president elect.

Therefore my point was that it will be interesting to see how Obama supporters react if or when Obama does something they fundamentally don't agree with..

Will they mindlessly support him no matter what? I hope not..I hope accountability in this country stays strong.

I would argue the same for any candidate who got elected..

However the foundation of his campaign was 'change'

ok...well change something...so many promises...so little time. same with any politician..difference is...this isn't an ordinary politician. he is the agent of change

OP doesn't get it. It's not about him being black. It's the fact that he got elected despite being black.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today."

And Elyk, your attitude humbles me.

I voted for him for president, not black president. But I can only speak for myself.

same here!

He's the candidate who inspired me to believe that this country can be better than the last 8 years would indicate. He happens to be black. one thing has nothing to do with the other.

There was a thread created for this kind of post in the Flame Zone. In the future, please use it.

I can't speak for all Americans, so I will speak for myself.

I voted for him in the primaries because Hillary is a lier and because Ron Paul had no shot at winning the Republican nomination.

I voted for him in the general election because McCain shared the same dreadful policies as George Bush and because Obama came across as much more informed, intelligent, and understanding.

Never did race even enter into my mind.

Here's an excerpt from a good article:

NYT: Near-flawless run from start to finish - The New York Times

'There was a less obvious calculation behind the focus on Iowa: race. A victory in an overwhelmingly white state like Iowa would remove the fears of black voters that Mr. Obama could never get elected president because whites would not vote for him.

“The biggest race problem we had to start was not with the white voters,” Mr. Axelrod said, “but with African-American voters, a deep sense of skepticism that this might happen.”'

He faced numerous additional hurdles thanks to his race such as skepticism from blacks, racism from whites, and being accused of being an Arab (no white or dark black person would look like he/she could be an Arab).

OP doesn't get it. It's not about him being black. It's the fact that he got elected despite being black.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today."

And Elyk, your attitude humbles me.

My point has nothing to do with Obama's race.

It has to do with the solidity of his fans and supporters.

I am saying it will be interesting to see how people react to decisions they don't like...will they stick to their beliefs or their candidate?

If someone knows that if they so much as stub a toe and they can go to the ER and not have to pay a single dime, why would they not? And, they do. That is also one of the main reasons insurance costs have risen.".

What the hell kind of insurance do you have. I work for the largest bank in the country and I have a $100 deductible for a non emergency visit to the emergency room, or I can go to my doc for a $20 co pay. I dont know anyone who doesnt have to pay a big copay when they go to the emergency room for a non emergency. What the hell are you talking about.

I don't blame anyone for my candidate not winning. Not even the candidate.

If anything I blame democracy for them not winning...which I glad to do any day.

My point had nothing to do with my candidate..or any other candidate..because they are not the president elect.

Therefore my point was that it will be interesting to see how Obama supporters react if or when Obama does something they fundamentally don't agree with..

Will they mindlessly support him no matter what? I hope not..I hope accountability in this country stays strong.

I would argue the same for any candidate who got elected..

However the foundation of his campaign was 'change'

ok...well change something...so many promises...so little time. same with any politician..difference is...this isn't an ordinary politician. he is the agent of change

Obama has been doing things his supporters don't fundamentally agree with since the general election began .. bailout, FISA, beating the drums of war, flip flopping on every issue .. but they excused it with "he's doing what he has to do to get elected."

Now that he's elected, we'll see how they react to his politics once in office .. but if they're looking for change .. they'd best pay attention to who he just picked as his Chief of Staff.

The "change" he's talking about is having a black face as president .. that's about it .. otherwise it's full steam ahead with centrist politics

Obama has been doing things his supporters don't fundamentally agree with since the general election began .. bailout, FISA, beating the drums of war, flip flopping on every issue .. but they excused it with "he's doing what he has to do to get elected."

Now that he's elected, we'll see how they react to his politics once in office ..
but if they're looking for change .. they'd best pay attention to who he just picked as his Chief of Staff.

The "change" he's talking about is having a black face as president .. that's about it .. otherwise it's full steam ahead with centrist politics

How is the change I am referring to is his race?

you made my point in bold. That's what I was talking about...

Who are you to suggest such complete nonsense as the following:
based strictly on his credentials and what he actually said, would he have even gotten as much as a second glance from most of you had he not been black?

Who are you think you are? The Shadow?

Do you imagine you know what evil lurks in the hearts of men, lad?

And then, just to compound the arrogance of your childish pop-psych blather, you explain to us that you are above the liberal White guilt that you iinform us made us vote of Obama?!

I am not against a black president - green, purple or polka dotted for that matter.

Yeah, riiiiight.

Kid, the Bush administration shit the bed politically on the domestic front and the foreign front.

Throw in a financial meltdown (which was only partially this admin's fault) into that toxic political stew, and the Democrats could have nominated somebody with horns, cloven hooves and fucking forked tail, and they'd STILL have won this election

Take my advice: don't give up you dayjob for a career in social pychology.

You're in way over your head.

Obama has been very clear that we will all need to get to work to make this work. Change wasn't his election, his election is the opportunity for change. Listen to his speech. We all have a tough road.

If he isn't able to lead others to reach the stated goals (job creation, green energy, strength through diplomacy.... Never did he promise easy handouts but instead tough strategies....) if he doesn't come through he will not win in four years.

Now that he's elected, we'll see how they react to his politics once in office .. but if they're looking for change .. they'd best pay attention to who he just picked as his Chief of Staff.

How do you know how many Dems were against the bailout, I was for it and I'm a Dem. Everyone on this board was against it but this board is filled with Cons, as for flip flopping, What, because he wouldnt take tax payer dollars to finance his election he is a flip flopper? He's smart, he wouldnt have had a chance with using his own financing strategy and Mccain knew it.

How is the change I am referring to is his race?

you made my point in bold. That's what I was talking about...

What you bolded is where I agree with you .. and I'm saying that a black face is the change he's offering, not you suggesting.

Forum List

Back