You Are A Bigot If You Think The NYC Mosque is Inappropriate.

Too bad you think so. If you look carefully on the crest that is my Avatar, it says the same thing. I just put it out as the tagline because it's hard to see. The crest is from the US 30th Infantry Regiment, my old unit.

If you don't like it, you can kiss my Wild Boar Ass!

clearly, your superior education has helped you understand what the word "ironic" means.

:rofl:

:redface:

Nope, I understand irony. What I don't understand, because I have a Poli Sci degree, not a Psych degree, is why Ravi might find it ironic.

I'm sure lashing out in a hissy fit will clear it up for you.

Hey, I WOULD like to super-size that, poli sci major!

How is a house of religious worship a bad thing anywhere?

Building a church in Mecca and calling it the Church of the Crusaders would be a bad thing.

Building a mosque at Ground Zero and calling it the Cordoba Center is a bad thing for the same reason.

EDIT: If you dont understand the implications of the name Cordoba let me know and I'll explain it for you.

Your going to have to "Splain" the Cordoba bit

I thought it was a car Chrysler built in the 70s with rich Corinthian leather

RIP Ricardo

Last edited:

Building a church in Mecca and calling it the Church of the Crusaders would be a bad thing.

Building a mosque at Ground Zero and calling it the Cordoba Center is a bad thing for the same reason.

EDIT: If you dont understand the implications of the name Cordoba let me know and I'll explain it for you.
There is a Cordoba cathedral in Spain that was formerly a Mosque. Christians and Muslims have prayed at that site together.

I think that would be wonderful in NYC near the 9/11 site. To remind us of the day when all Americans stood together united.

:rolleyes: In other words your posts are the work of your overwrought imagination on this subject.

That would be transference. Just because you decide to do no research and decide to stick your head in the sand, doesn't mean that's the standard other people adhere to. Of course you would need someone to tell you what it is you're reading so you could understand it. So it's not surprising that you would revert to invective to try to make a point when there is none to make.
Wrong...you make some ridiculous statements. For instance that this a "victory" dance (the Islamic center) to be dedicated on 9/11/11. Bullshit...there is no evidence to support that whatsoever.

Especially when Khan has said there are no final construction plans, and there were never any start dates and final dates planned on 9/11.

There is a Cordoba cathedral in Spain that was formerly a Mosque. Christians and Muslims have prayed at that site together.

I think that would be wonderful in NYC near the 9/11 site. To remind us of the day when all Americans stood together united.

The funders and proponents of building the mosque are not Americans.

And the mosque at Cordoba was build over a razed church. Cordoba exemplified sharia - Christians and Jews were dhimmis and lived in subservience to Muslims. If they didn't, they were killed.

riiight.... after all, we all know how the Battle of Wounded Knee has impacted, nay PROMPTED, the invasion of Iraq! No vacuums, right?!

you just can't make shit shit up!

:cuckoo:

This just in.......... History still baffling to Soggy

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Until you can show a causal relationship between muslims and spanish conquistadors I feel REAL sorry for the educators that failed to reach your brain.

By all means, tonto, if YOU think you've got some historic context to share then cite your source.... (or, do like we both know you'll do and run for the fucking hills)

:lol:

:thup:

Cite my source for common knowledge history? WTF?

How about you get to some minimal level of education, like college freshman World History and people won't have to cite the basics to you. Geez!!!

That would be transference. Just because you decide to do no research and decide to stick your head in the sand, doesn't mean that's the standard other people adhere to. Of course you would need someone to tell you what it is you're reading so you could understand it. So it's not surprising that you would revert to invective to try to make a point when there is none to make.
Wrong...you make some ridiculous statements. For instance that this a "victory" dance (the Islamic center) to be dedicated on 9/11/11. Bullshit...there is no evidence to support that whatsoever.

Especially when Khan has said there are no final construction plans, and there were never any start dates and final dates planned on 9/11.

Just to be clear, I never said anything about any construction dates or anything like that. That would be Ravi ascribing to me things I never said.

Rauf on the glory of "true" sharia:

"But it is important that we understand what is meant by Shariah law. Islamic law is about God's law, and it is not that far from what we read in the Declaration of Independence about "the Laws of Nature and Nature's God." The Declaration says "men are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights; that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

At the core of Shariah law are God's commandments, revealed in the Old Testament and revised in the New Testament and the Quran. The principles behind American secular law are similar to Shariah law - that we protect life, liberty and property, that we provide for the common welfare, that we maintain a certain amount of modesty. What Muslims want is to ensure that their secular laws are not in conflict with the Quran or the Hadith, the sayings of Muhammad.

Where there is a conflict, it is not with Shariah law itself but more often with the way the penal code is sometimes applied. Some aspects of this penal code and its laws pertaining to women flow out of the cultural context. The religious imperative is about justice and fairness. If you strive for justice and fairness in the penal code, then you are in keeping with moral imperative of the Shariah.

In America, we have a Constitution that created a three-branch form of government - legislative, executive and judiciary. The role of the judiciary is to ensure that the other two branches comply with the Constitution. What Muslims want is a judiciary that ensures that the laws are not in conflict with the Quran and the Hadith. Just as the Constitution has gone through interpretations, so does Shariah law.

The two pieces of unfinished business in Muslim countries are to revise the penal code so that it is responsive to modern realities and to ensure that the balance between the three branches of government is not out of kilter.

Rather than fear Shariah law, we should understand what it actually is."

Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf: What Shariah Law Is All About

This just in.......... History still baffling to Soggy

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Until you can show a causal relationship between muslims and spanish conquistadors I feel REAL sorry for the educators that failed to reach your brain.

By all means, tonto, if YOU think you've got some historic context to share then cite your source.... (or, do like we both know you'll do and run for the fucking hills)

:thup:

Cite my source for common knowledge history? WTF?

How about you get to some minimal level of education, like college freshman World History and people won't have to cite the basics to you. Geez!!!

so, AGAIN, when prompted for some find of evidence you are choosing to sidestep..

can't say that I didn't see THAT one coming.

clearly, that poli sci degree is working well for you. I'll have a coke too, crew member.

Rauf on the glory of "true" sharia:

"But it is important that we understand what is meant by Shariah law. Islamic law is about God's law, and it is not that far from what we read in the Declaration of Independence about "the Laws of Nature and Nature's God." The Declaration says "men are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights; that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

At the core of Shariah law are God's commandments, revealed in the Old Testament and revised in the New Testament and the Quran. The principles behind American secular law are similar to Shariah law - that we protect life, liberty and property, that we provide for the common welfare, that we maintain a certain amount of modesty. What Muslims want is to ensure that their secular laws are not in conflict with the Quran or the Hadith, the sayings of Muhammad.

Where there is a conflict, it is not with Shariah law itself but more often with the way the penal code is sometimes applied. Some aspects of this penal code and its laws pertaining to women flow out of the cultural context. The religious imperative is about justice and fairness. If you strive for justice and fairness in the penal code, then you are in keeping with moral imperative of the Shariah.

In America, we have a Constitution that created a three-branch form of government - legislative, executive and judiciary. The role of the judiciary is to ensure that the other two branches comply with the Constitution. What Muslims want is a judiciary that ensures that the laws are not in conflict with the Quran and the Hadith. Just as the Constitution has gone through interpretations, so does Shariah law.

The two pieces of unfinished business in Muslim countries are to revise the penal code so that it is responsive to modern realities and to ensure that the balance between the three branches of government is not out of kilter.

Rather than fear Shariah law, we should understand what it actually is."

Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf: What Shariah Law Is All About
was that suppose to make him look bad?

The two pieces of unfinished business in Muslim countries are to revise the penal code so that it is responsive to modern realities

Just to be clear, I never said anything about any construction dates or anything like that. That would be Ravi ascribing to me things I never said.

YEA! don't ask tech for specifics, Luissa! Your education probably can't handle it.

:clap2:

Cordoba House iss a community center, not a mosque. It's like the YMCA or Jewish Community Center.

No, it is a mosque with community center features.

Sharif el-Gamal is the CEO of SoHo Properties and lead developer of the Park 51 project (it's no longer called the Cordoba Initiative). This is from an interview with him three weeks ago.

2. Why must the project necessarily include a mosque? Wouldn't a general prayer area, which could be reserved in advance by any religious group, be more appropriate and compatible with the community-centric interfaith mission of the project?

We will include a September 11th memorial and quiet reflection space where people of different faith traditions and beliefs, sacred and secular, can find quiet time and solace. Park51 will also include general spaces and world-class facilities for all New Yorkers to benefit from, whether that's a Hebrew class meeting weekly or a yoga studio looking for space on a regular basis. We'll have an auditorium to engage large audiences, and sophisticated classroom space as well.

With respect to the mosque, which will take up only a small portion of the final space, it's a question of meeting a need. This mosque will be open to all. There are probably one million Muslims in the tri-state area and several hundred thousand in New York City. We should understand that Muslim New Yorkers are part of the city and have been for a very long time. Just a few days ago, I stopped to pray at a midtown mosque, and the congregation was led by a New York City Police Officer. He was a Muslim serving our city, keeping us safe.

There's hundreds of thousands of Muslim New Yorkers like him. We're doctors, lawyers, businessmen, cab drivers, teachers and students. That's what people need to know.

Read more: Q&A with Sharif el-Gamal about Park51, NYC - City of Brass

It's just like a Catholic Church complex - a place for worship and then facilities for community activities.

But at the end of the day, it is a religious site.

It's just like a Catholic Church complex - a place for worship and then facilities for community activities.

But at the end of the day, it is a religious site.

Exactly.

In this part, we will mainly present the roles the mosque should play in this age of ours in both the Muslim countries as well as in the non-Muslim countries.
The call now is to reintroduce as many activities to the mosque as existed during the golden era of Islam. This call has been pronounced by individual reformist Muslims as well as organizations and even the official ministries of endowments.

This new development was clearly reflected in the recommendations of the first International Islamic Conference for the message of the mosque. The conference was held in Ramadan 1395 AH (September 1975 CE) at the headquarters of the Muslim World League in Makkah.

In Section 7 of these recommendations and under the headline: Architectural Planning of the Mosque, it is mentioned that the Conference recommends as follows:

1. The Conference considers the mosque to be the center of the social life in the Islamic society, where the social activities are an extension of the religious duties. On this basis, the mosque should be built in the heart of the city or the community.

2. The mosque should be planned to serve the functions that are necessary for the Muslims, such as:

a. The prayer hall satisfies the health requirements of ventilation, heating, and light.

b. To have a section for Muslim women with separate facilities.

c. To have a library, reading room, lecture hall, and social function hall.

d. [To have] a place for teaching the Qur'an and coaching the children in different subjects.

e. [To have] a playing ground, a hall for young children for their free time, particularly during summer vacation.

f. [To have] a small clinic for emergency treatment and funeral facilities.

g. [To have] accommodation facilities for guests.

In planning the mosque in this way, it must be kept in mind that the mosque is a place of worship; it is a sanctuary. Therefore, all due respect should be given to it, so that there will be no infringement on its sacredness.

The points mentioned above are the most important recommendations in Section 7. They are a reflection of the new reality of the awakening of the Islamic society and the need to enlighten it and keep it in the right direction.

Read more: The Mosque as a Community Center (Part Two) - IslamOnline.net - Living Sharia'h

Last edited:

Your going to have to "Splain" the Cordoba bit

I thought it was a car Chrysler built in the 70s with rich Corinthian leather

RIP Ricardo

No problemo sir.

Cordoba represents religious waring and hatred between Christians and Muslims. First the muslims conqured cordoba, tore down their church, and build a mosque on the ground. Then the christians re-conqured the area, tore down the mosque, and built another church.

Here is some light reading Great Mosque of Córdoba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Great Mosque of Córdoba, now known as the Catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción (English: Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption) was a mosque built by the Umayyads on the site of a Christian Visigothic Church[1] in the Andalusian city of Córdoba, Spain. It is regarded as perhaps the most accomplished monument of the Umayyad dynasty of Córdoba. After the Spanish Reconquista, it was rebuilt as Roman Catholic church with a Gothic cathedral inserted into the centre of the large Moorish building. Today the entire building is used to house the Cathedral of the diocese of Córdoba in Spain.

Naming it the cordoba center is akin to building a memorial to the japanese air force at pearl harbor and calling it the "Tora Tora Tora Center" or building a memorial to fallen american soldiers at hiroshima and calling it the "Little Boy Memorial"

Or, like I said originally, building a church in mecca and calling it the "Church of the Crusades" or "The Crusaders Church of Christ" or something like that.

When it is used as a base of operations for killing people and gathering recruits and resources for attacks. When it promotes its religious laws be incorporated into our legal system. When they suggest violent overthrow of governments.

do you honestly think the mosque will be a terrorist training camp? you are ignorant if you think. have you even been to a mosque before? i can tell you what goes on. people pray and then leave thats what happen.

ive been muslim my whole life and not once did i hear anyone promoting terrorism.nor did anyone want shariah in America.

The funders and proponents of building the mosque are not Americans.

And the mosque at Cordoba was build over a razed church. Cordoba exemplified sharia - Christians and Jews were dhimmis and lived in subservience to Muslims. If they didn't, they were killed.

They are taking a run down building in a low rent neighborhood and renovating it so that local AMERICAN muslims who were not involved in 9-11, who are not terrorists, are not looking to establish Sharia law, are not looking to destroy infidels....have a place to worship

Who the hell cares? And if so....why do you care?

Naming it the cordoba center is akin to building a memorial to the japanese air force at pearl harbor and calling it the "Tora Tora Tora Center" or building a memorial to fallen american soldiers at hiroshima and calling it the "Little Boy Memorial"

Why would that be an accurate analogy?

None of these people were involved in 9-11, none are celebrating 9-11....they just want to practice their religion

It would be like if my wife were killed by a black man and a black family were to move in a block away.....should I be outraged and protest that black family?

Forum List

Back