You all understand that these supposed “loopholes” were created and voted upon as

Its all about language. These are all tax deductions, or tax credits. However those terms do not sound negative at all. So you use instead:

Subsidy: Used when you want to make it sound like the organization in question is actually getting money from the government to do something.

Loophole: Makes it sound like the organziation in question is doing something sneaky to save the money.
Right on cue, the DittoTards parrot their talking points.

A tax loophole is a perversion of the intent of a legitimate tax deduction, it is an exploitation of a tax law which can reduce or eliminate the tax liabilities of the filer. For example, a substantial tax break was offered to small companies who invested in SUVs and other heavy vehicles for their transportation fleets. Because the tax law allowed for 50% personal use, small business owners could upgrade their own personal vehicles to SUVs and still receive a tax credit. This exemplifies a tax loophole -- the original intent is not illegal, but the definition can be exploited for personal gain.

July 8,2011
RUSH: It's imperative that you remember that using the language loophole word the attempt is to imply that these people are benefiting unfairly, that there may be cheating, that they may have discovered a hole, that they have discovered an illegal way around the tax code, and they haven't. They're simply following the law, and people who disagree with that part of the tax code call it a loophole hoping to get the public to support them in changing it and to cast aspersions on the people who use that tax law as criminals.

RUSH: Tax loopholes are deductions, they are schedule C.

RUSH: From the Rush Limbaugh Encyclopedia: A tax loophole is a legitimate deduction that the Democrats and the Left can demagogue before an election. Tax break, tax loophole these are all class warfare terms, my friends. They are used to suggest that a class of persons, usually the rich, have gotten favorable treatment.

Its all about language. These are all tax deductions, or tax credits. However those terms do not sound negative at all. So you use instead:

Subsidy: Used when you want to make it sound like the organization in question is actually getting money from the government to do something.

Loophole: Makes it sound like the organziation in question is doing something sneaky to save the money.

A tax loophole is a perversion of the intent of a legitimate tax deduction, it is an exploitation of a tax law which can reduce or eliminate the tax liabilities of the filer. For example, a substantial tax break was offered to small companies who invested in SUVs and other heavy vehicles for their transportation fleets. Because the tax law allowed for 50% personal use, small business owners could upgrade their own personal vehicles to SUVs and still receive a tax credit. This exemplifies a tax loophole -- the original intent is not illegal, but the definition can be exploited for personal gain.

July 8,2011
RUSH: It's imperative that you remember that using the language loophole word the attempt is to imply that these people are benefiting unfairly, that there may be cheating, that they may have discovered a hole, that they have discovered an illegal way around the tax code, and they haven't. They're simply following the law, and people who disagree with that part of the tax code call it a loophole hoping to get the public to support them in changing it and to cast aspersions on the people who use that tax law as criminals.

RUSH: From the Rush Limbaugh Encyclopedia: A tax loophole is a legitimate deduction that the Democrats and the Left can demagogue before an election. Tax break, tax loophole these are all class warfare terms, my friends. They are used to suggest that a class of persons, usually the rich, have gotten favorable treatment.

You really seem obsessed with El-rushbo. You probably have listened to him more than me the past 5 years (hint, I havent listened to him in the past 5 years, talk radio besides sports bores me).

Your definition of a loophole makes no sense. If they intentionally allowed for 50% personal use, then THEY ALLOWED IT. Its a deduction no matter how you spin it.

Perversion is also a matter of opinion, not tax code. Just because you do not like it doesnt make it wrong, never mind illegal.

If the only way your side can win is with word games, I'm feeling better about our chances.

July 8,2011

You really seem obsessed with El-rushbo. You probably have listened to him more than me the past 5 years (hint, I havent listened to him in the past 5 years, talk radio besides sports bores me).

Your definition of a loophole makes no sense. If they intentionally allowed for 50% personal use, then THEY ALLOWED IT. Its a deduction no matter how you spin it.

Perversion is also a matter of opinion, not tax code. Just because you do not like it doesnt make it wrong, never mind illegal.

If the only way your side can win is with word games, I'm feeling better about our chances.
No, as my post clearly says, they upgraded their PERSONAL vehicle to a SUV and pretended it was for business use to create a loophole.

July 8,2011

You don't find it ironic that you clomplain about the "dittoturds are just PARROTING".... and then go on to quote Rush Limbaugh word for word? Jus sayin'

Anyways, I have no problem with subsidies and special breaks - you're wrong btw, they are not normal tax deductions in compliance with code - they are special treatment and basically, handouts.
But guess what? I still have no problem with them. I have a problem with who they're going to.
Subsidies are grants or gifts from the government to businesses. Fine, give them to companies that hire 100% American and pay their Taxes 100% in America. Hundreds of billions is being handed over to foreigners but because the GOP presents this so effectively, lots of people buy what they're selling.
Tax breaks, such as those given to MNE's are basically taking what they would owe and saying "Well because your lobbyist have done such a fine job, we're going to lower that by a few hundred million." Again, these breaks are creating jobs or saving them. All they're doing is redistributing wealth to non-100% American companies.

So what if we took all those billions and made them available only 100% American companies? LOTS of jobs. LOTS of extra revenue. Too bad people don't think about these kinds of things in detail.

Unraveling the tax break for billionaires mess is going to take some doing.

We have been using our tax codes to reward some at the expense of others forever.

Call it social engineering or call it class warfare it really doesn't matter.

Some of these tax incentives (or punishments) argumably as a good thing, some of them most definitely are not.

But we ought not and will not eliminate them all unthinkingly.

I can give you one example of what I mean.

Deductions for interest on mortgages.

Ought we to eliminate that? That is very nearly the only tax break (usually it is the largest) middle class homeowners get.

Plus by eliminating that break it further depresses an already depressed RE market.

See what I mean?

Smebody addressed the issue of unintended consequences?

That somebody was spot on.

July 8,2011

No, as my post clearly says, they upgraded their PERSONAL vehicle to a SUV and pretended it was for business use to create a loophole.

I use my "personal vehicle" for business all the time. Going from one site to another, from my site to the main office. After hours I have calls I take in my car. I run sampling regimes from my car.

You can use your personal vehicle for buisiness. If they could not, however prove 50% use, then they are taking an unwarranted deduction, not using a "loophole," and if audited should have it disallowed.

Forum List

Back